Daft Punk is done, the group splits up

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Shenmue 2 (HD), Baldur's Gate 3, Starfield, TOTK
This monday february 22nd, Daft Punk announced that they were done. They split up.

They made this announcement with this video called epilogue :

The video reprise some shots from their movie Electroma and with a bit of their Random Access Memories's "Touch" track. At the end of the video, we can see being written 1993-2021. Late, their publicist confirmed that they decided to split up.

Right now, we don't know much behind this, but I must admit that I am really really really sad.

My pseudo is a direct inspiration from Daft Punk. It's a mix between "Human After All", their third album released in 2005, and "Guy-Man", one of the two members of Daft Punk.

I'm also shocked, because Daft Punk is the band that launched me in doing movies and music. In 2003 they made a movie called "Interstella 5555 : The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem", based on their Discovery album. You can find it here :
Back then I was 9 years old. My uncle bought the DVD and showed it to me (the same uncle who bought Shenmue 2 btw, thank you uncle for everything). It was the first time in my life that I was moved by a piece of art or cultural property. This movie and this music haunted me for god knows how long. Not so long ago I looked up the price it would cost me to make a tattoo about Interstella 5555 !

And this album haunted me for so long that I started making electronic music when I was 13-14. My goal was to make Daft Punk-like music. It was what I was aiming at. I still listen to this album pretty often, even though with time and now 26 years old, I don't listen to it everyday like I used to back then (I am not joking, between the age of 13 till 19 I listened everyday to either their Discovery album or their Alive 2007 album), but I still consider it my personnal favorite album, and objectively one of the greatest album of all times !

Now, when I was around 17-18, I started making videos, still inspired by Daft Punk and their movie Interstella as well as Electroma (another movie they released in 2006). I started to have a big passion for cinema and movies. And passion that went bigger than my passion for music. And passion that would lead me to make a video diploma and become a professionnal audiovisual technician/movie director (really not the easiest path, but hey).

Basically, Daft Punk has been the biggest inspiration in my life to get me to make music and movies. If they never existed, maybe I would have been in a completely another field. Who knows. All I know is that Daft Punk is done, and with that, a part of my life. A huge chunk of it to be honest. Most of my childhood and adolescence was driven by them.

I wish them well.

Any other Daft Punk fans ?

Epically disappointed. For them, it's been almost 30 years. So, I get it, but dang does that kind of suck. They haven't really been doing a whole lot since Random Access Memories--which is already almost eight years old (!!)--but even just their collaborations with The Weeknd made me really happy. "I Feel it Coming" is a FULL bop. (Also, I've always kind of wondered how they knew about Mizuhara Kiko, or if was just a coincidence that she was cast for the MV.) In a way, that title was apropos of this announcement. I guess I've felt this coming since the Tron Legacy soundtrack.

I think I originally heard "One More TIme" on the radio, I imagine, but maybe even before that, I think a friend had made me listen to "Around the World." For whatever reason, it wasn't until Toonami aired a late night block of 'cartoon' music videos--A claymation video I always forget the name of, The Gorillaz, and the first four tracks of Discovery with the Interstella 5555 animations--that I really took notice. Once I heard "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" there for the first time, it was all over. I bought Discovery, Homework, and even Daft Club as quickly as I possibly could, and when Interstella 5555 was released, I bought that too.

The few albums that followed didn't quite excite me in the same way, but Discovery is still one of my absolute favorite albums, and Daft Punk's act is unparalleled. Also, Interstella 5555 is-- *chef's kiss*.

Next you'll tell me that Royksopp officially disbanded, and I will be officially gutted.

Last edited:
Pretty big fan and actually took notice of your username when you first signed up!

Although I'm not quite as affected... they leave behind such a huge catalog and also took long hiatus between albums anyway, I feel we have plenty to ride out into the sunset.

Keeping optimistic!

Yeah, well bummed. Discovery is one of my gateway albums (Too Long and Digital Love = <3) and Random Access Memories was my favourite album of the last decade. I struggled with Human After All for the most part, but when hearing it as part of Alive 2007, it suddenly made sense.

I need to listen to Homework again, especially as i'm getting more and more into French House music. Also, the side project Stardust gave us one of the greatest one-hit wonders of all time. I bought a 12" repress, just so I could put it on at 1:30am DJ-ing at my mate's annual outdoor BBQ <3

For them, it's been almost 30 years. So, I get it, but dang does that kind of suck. They haven't really been doing a whole lot since Random Access Memories--which is already almost eight years old
Apparently, from Paul Johnson (a house producer and friend of Daft Punk, he was in the studio while they were making One More Time, and signed multiple releases on Guy-Man's label "Crydamoure") said that back in 2019 he spoke to Thomas and Thomas told him that he and Guy-Man didn't have any contact for a while. Nothing wrong between them, just two dudes, well into their 40s almost in their 50s who just grew up and grew apart apparently.
they leave behind such a huge catalog
That's what I like with art, it's that it never dies. I will be able to listen to Daft Punk for years to come. Just like we all played Shenmue for ages!
actually took notice of your username when you first signed up!
That's so sweet! Haha
but glad that it seems to have ended on good terms.
I'm also glad that it ended with the myth intact!
I struggled with Human After All for the most part, but when hearing it as part of Alive 2007, it suddenly made sense.
Yeah, they made HAA in a hurry. So the album on its own feels really rough. But during Alive 2007, it's absolutely golden. Let's remember they made the whole album in 6 weeks, which is pretty crazy. They said in interviews that they wanted to make an album like an unpolished diamond, to bring out their human part as much as possible. But yeah, on Alive 07, when the tracks are reworked, you can feel that if these tracks were worked on more, that would have been an insane album. And let's remember it had a crazy impact and kinda launched the French Touch 2.0 movement we've seen with the likes of Justice, Soulwax, SebastiAn, etc...
I need to listen to Homework again, especially as i'm getting more and more into French House music. Also, the side project Stardust gave us one of the greatest one-hit wonders of all time. I bought a 12" repress, just so I could put it on at 1:30am DJ-ing at my mate's annual outdoor BBQ <3
Yeah, Stardust's MSBWY is one of the greatest piece of electronic music ever. Fun fact : back then Thomas hesitated to drop Daft Punk to make a full album with Stardust. But he finally felt more comfortable in staying with Daft Punk and doing Discovery. Maybe there's a parallel universe where Discovery does not exists and Stardust just ruled the electronic music world instead of Daft Punk ! Haha. I really wonder what a full Stardust's album would have sounded like.

If you want to listen to more early French Touch music, you can listen to Guy-Man and Thomas side projects, with roulé and Crydamoure.

Especially this one from one of Guy-Man band Le Knight Club (released on Crydamoure), who was in fact the first draft of "Around the World" haha

Yeah, the members of Stardust IIRC, was Alan Braxe along with Christo and Bangalter
No Guy-Man in Stardust, but Benjamin Diamond at the vocals! Btw, he sings it insanely good during a 2005 live in Japan here (at 2:49 in case my timer doesn't work) :

Last edited:
All i'm saying, no offense.... Upper Cuts better than any Daft Punk album

GOTTA GO!

All i'm saying, no offense.... Upper Cuts better than any Daft Punk album

GOTTA GO!
You've just made an enemy for life! 😡

But yeah, The Upper Cuts is a classic. Listened to it for countless hours too. Have to dig back soon. It's been a while since I listened to it.

Back