Daniel Vavra of Kingdom Come fame shouting out Shenmue 3/ Yu Suzuki

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Currently playing
Ghost of Tsushima
PSN
mjqjazzbar

Another fan. Lately I’ve been dealing with people who claim Shenmue wasnt influential or that Yu Suzuki is overrated.

curious how all these big names didn’t get the memo.

Mostly haters/brand-fanboyism will deny YS his rightful place as one of the most influential if not the top influential developer of all time.

-Virtual fighter influenced and lead to Playstation capitalizing on the success rolling off of YS and AM2's pioneering works into 3D space.
-Ninty built the wii after being influenced by Motion tech pioneered for Sega & used on the game(Samba de amigo) stemming from YS's arcade success.
-3D Open world(The most popular RPG of the modern era) uses foundations laid by YS and Am2.
-motion capture was introduced by YS as a proof of concept in 1993-94 with VF and refined for Cinematic story telling in video games ala Shenmue 1&2. Which is standard today for any big budget AAA productions.

The laundry list is huge but just these are more than enuf to be envious of by anyone seeking prestige in the industry.

It’s just neat seeing a guy with a pretty popular game give some credit to the GOAT. He’s also behind one of the best selling Deep Silver games, so it’s encouraging one of their big developers is shouting out Shenmue 3.

Another fan. Lately I’ve been dealing with people who claim Shenmue wasnt influential or that Yu Suzuki is overrated.

curious how all these big names didn’t get the memo.

Warms my heart to see developers showing Yu Suzuki some love.

Not big into western games or WRPGs, but I guess I'll have to add Kingdom Come to the list of games I ought to give a chance along with Cyberpunk. (y)

I put any game that acknowledged it took inspiration from YS's works on my bucketlist to grab. Since their product is created by learning from the best, it can't hurt to give it a try.

He also worked on Mafia 1 and 2

I'm pretty sure he was influenced by Shenmue since in Mafia 2 Vito Scaletta (the main character) wears a brown leather jacket and looks like Ryo.

Mafia-II-Video-Game-Vito-Scaletta-Leather-Jacket-1-1.jpg

Kingdom Come Deliverance is a great game. It actually has a great eating system I wish Shenmue 3 had. You only lose health when he is starving which takes a long time and you can cook food in pots. It feels more feel and way less annoying than in Shenmue 3.

Kingdom Come Deliverance is a great game. It actually has a great eating system I wish Shenmue 3 had. You only lose health when he is starving which takes a long time and you can cook food in pots. It feels more feel and way less annoying than in Shenmue 3.

Yeah the eating system, the codex, combat, village layout were all great. The only thing that stuck out was interiors of homes generally felt the same but the way npcs were handled were great.

Back