Deadly Premonition. YES or NO?

Sput Vas Normandy

There's a lot of buzz around Shenmue 4
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Starfield
It was GOTY of the dojo, but NOW, years later, yes or no?

Don't make me throw my money please :crying:

Depends...do you like Silent Hill? Resident Evil 4? Majora’s Mask? Twin Peaks?

It’s got bits and pieces from all of those, but it’s still very much its own game. Definitely low budget, definitely buggy and choppy, really depends on which version you get(recommend either 360 or Switch) but the overall experience is more than the sum of its parts.

I’d say that the story, characters, town, and sidequests are where the game really shines, and would suggest doing as much as you can before progressing in each chapter to get the most out of it. The Silent Hill like levels aren’t horrendous but they are easily the worst parts of the game.

It looks like the sequel is going to be quite a bit better overall but I’ll still cross my fingers just in case.

No. Never. It's easily the worst game I've played, and I grew up playing them LCD games you used to get from Argos.

The combat is woeful, the "live a life" aspects are pointless, less than half of the dialogue has voice acting (it's jarring to go from voiced dialogue to strictly subtitles), if you run out of petrol in your car it's a pain in the arse running back, the game is genuinely ugly to look at, it tries too hard to be bizarre (and, as many have said, like Twin Peaks and Silent Hill with an RE4 slant), the story doesn't make any sense, and the entire thing feels like a chore.

All this talk of it being like Shenmue is utter nonsense. Despite it being a populated game with NPC schedules, the entire town feels lifeless. The one thing that's decent is the weirdo in the wheelchair and his creepy rhyming carer.

Seriously, fuck this game, and fuck everyone on here who convinced me to play it.

Having said that, I'm going back to it eventually, simply because I have a compulsive need to 100% obtainable achievements.

I'll never forgive the Dojo for tricking me into playing it.

Dick eds...

Silent Hill + Twin Peaks thing is the main reason I want to play it at some point. Just that sold the idea to me... I can forgive "bad" gameplay if the setting appeals me

PS: For god sake, I just hope it is really Twin Peaks like and not something half cooked like Alan Wake

Not having played Alan Wake firsthand, well...the feeling I get from that game is it was still rather normal. For Deadly Premonition at least, it’s even weirder in that it’s so close without Swery getting sued for copyright infringement; the early trailers seemed close enough that they were told to change it.

So a lot of things from imagery to characters and their roles in the story are extremely similar, only different in part explicitly to be legally distinct, more just being sort of Japanese stuff that feels kind of jank or odd, but I do really believe Swery was genuine in making it his own story with its own arcs and ending.

The biggest issue I have with this game is the framerate! Speaking from playing the PS3 Version. I'm not someone who usually gets hung-up on technicalities like this and Framerate has never bothered me within a game before but this game is so choppy its practically unplayable!

Is the 360 version any better?

It has been a long while but I do recall the 360 having a more overall stable framerate than the PS3 version. That said, if you have a Switch, it was awful to begin with but post patches that version definitely runs best. I think between DP and No More Heroes and Bayonetta, among many other ports, the PS3 was just generally not very easy to work with.

I own all 3 of them on PS3 :p Annoyingly we never got No More Heroes 2 on PS3 - I Still need to pick up the Wii version. On a side note if anyone knows of any comprehensive lists which compare PS3/360 Ports let me know as it is a topic which interests me of late - Not including Backwards Compatible Enhancements but a comparison of PS3/360 Ports on their native System.

But yes, DP on the PS3 is borderline unplayable. My initial impressions are that it leans a bit to heavily on ripping of Twin Peaks - I can appreciate homages but the similarities are a bit too much for me.

Wasn't PS3 version better than 360 after the director's cut?

Well, you could say some parts were better - mostly controls and some textures. However, the framerate in several parts of the town ranked and the audio was somehow made worse. Personally I didn’t mind the tank controls of the 360 version but I realize I’m in a minority on that one.

360 version is way better than PS3 version in terms of performance
but there is no Directors Cut version on the 360.
(you still get a complete experience on 360, its just missing some new cutscenes and character models)

Switch has a unlocked framerate thats all over the place and it has heavy framedrops to like 15 fps while driving.
PC has easily the best framerate if you have an okayish PC but the PC version
can be pretty unstable. There are still people where the PC version doesnt even start
or where it crashes every 10 minutes.

So i would say the most stable console version is on the platform where it was released first, Xbox 360.

If you like weird japanese entertainment products, with the typical humor and over the top things +
extremely weird changes between super brutal, funny, awkward and serious,
all of this packed into a american countryside story thriller setting
then i would recommend it. I personally would give it a 9 out of 10, not joking.

Aye, finished it on Normal difficulty on 11th April 2013 apparently. I remember the guy at the end looking like a cross between Lobo and the Violator in his clown form. Further evidence of the nonsensical nature of this nightmare of a production. Spoilers, btw.

Also you don't have to complete this trainwreck to know how bad it is. Video games live and die by their mechanics and controls, and Deadly Premonition snuffs it almost immediately. It's embarrassingly undignified. No amount of storytelling could save that.

...and even if it could, too bad. The story degrades second after second, like the rotting flesh of a zombie's foreskin. It's better the sooner you leave it, but no matter what, it'll leave a pretty nasty taste in your mouth.

Video games live and die by their mechanics and controls, and Deadly Premonition snuffs it almost immediately. It's embarrassingly undignified. No amount of storytelling could save that.

For me it did. It had better storytelling than Twin Peaks S2 and S3.
Just as a simulation of a living world with living characters (one of the main points of Shenmue, albeit more constricted) it blows most games out of the water, with each one having a routine that varies on the story points (and you can even spy them on their houses).
I do know where to find a solid 3rd person shooty shooty, it's not that hard.
It's hard to find a game with such a story, characters, humor and tone.

Last edited:
It's cryptic. It's got massive frame rate and performance issues. Voice acting varies wildly from comical to crazy to rubbish all in a short space of time.

Some of the minigames will drive you crazy. Some of the subquests are .... Well.. Yeah... And yet. And yet... AND YET.

Is compelling. It's intriguing. It's downright frightening in some spots.

If you ever watched Twin Peaks and enjoyed it then DP will tickle that gland to bursting.

If you have the budget then make sure you get all the DLC with the costumes/cars/extras. The extra suits will prove invaluable in reducing any potential frustration.

I really liked it. Play it in the evening. The atmosphere is really something.

Pro-tip. The sound mix is messed up badly on both PC and PS3 - Turn music down and speech up in the settings... Or vice versa. Can't remember....

Never played the Switch port...

Back