Deadly Premonition. YES or NO?

Alright, I will see the first hour of a walkthrough. If doesn't convince me, I'll drop it

Also you don't have to complete this trainwreck to know how bad it is. Video games live and die by their mechanics and controls, and Deadly Premonition snuffs it almost immediately. It's embarrassingly undignified. No amount of storytelling could save that.
I agree. It's a shame that a lot of ppl didn't apply that to Death Stranding a few months ago :sneaky:

Alright, I will see the first hour of a walkthrough. If doesn't convince me, I'll drop it

All jokes aside, I genuinely feel that this is the worst way to try gauging the quality of a game. Games are to be played, not watched. It's the interactive element that's the most important, and you quite simply cannot judge whether you will enjoy it based on that alone.

If all someone cares about is a story, then by all means, fire up the YouTube app and watch it whilst some bellend talks over it and makes stupid faces in the corner of the screen. I can guarantee you though that everything people hate about this game will not come through by watching it.

And don't get me wrong btw, it is a massively polarising game, as I'm sure you're already well aware. More so than Shenmue. If you end up playing it, I hope you end up in the same camp as shredingskin and the other guy (don't recall his name and I'm not opening a new tab just to find out)

I still can't recommend it at all, on any level, but I also can't deny that there's as much chance of you loving it as there is hating it. Trust me though, the hatred will be real. Or maybe I'm just the most bitter cunt on the planet, who knows?

All jokes aside, I genuinely feel that this is the worst way to try gauging the quality of a game. Games are to be played, not watched. It's the interactive element that's the most important, and you quite simply cannot judge whether you will enjoy it based on that alone.
I know, but I can't do more about it. The opinions aren't helping me

I view DP as an obscure 90's VHS horror movie you may randomly find in a garage sale, hidden behind a big pile of other VHS full of dust on the cover.

It's junky and fascinating from the very beginning while, academically speaking, it's far from being a good piece of craft. For instance, the horror levels feel like a tedious Resident Evil ripoff before eventually growing on you. DP is also infamous for featuring one of the most terrible QTEs of all time.

However, I think the main strength of DP is that you never know exactly what to expect despite the game quickly being repetitive. Isn't the reason why we are interested in Japanese games so much as non-Japanese people? If you know what I mean and I'm sure you do, DP is certainly something worth the try.

I view DP as an obscure 90's VHS horror movie you may randomly find in a garage sale, hidden behind a big pile of other VHS full of dust on the cover.

It's junky and fascinating from the very beginning while, academically speaking, it's far from being a good piece of craft. For instance, the horror levels feel like a tedious Resident Evil ripoff before eventually growing on you. DP is also infamous for featuring one of the most terrible QTEs of all time.

However, I think the main strength of DP is that you never know exactly what to expect despite the game quickly being repetitive. Isn't the reason why we are interested in Japanese games so much as non-Japanese people? If you know what I mean and I'm sure you do, DP is certainly something worth the try.
This game sounds fascinating, got to give it a try. Not a story game person, but this description makes it sound so cool.

However, I think the main strength of DP is that you never know exactly what to expect despite the game quickly being repetitive.

I love that DP overall shittyness in someway does somewhat improve the narrative perception, first you start laughing at the game, then with the game, to end up surprised by it.
There's always this feeling of "god how stupidly in your face this game is" to "oh, ok".

It's the fourth wall breaking stuff that gets me. Plus the fishing game is annoyingly fun/frustrating to play. Cash bonuses for peaking into windows is... Well it is what it is...

Interesting thing: depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you go with this will determine how easy the game is later on. My advice: Get the radio as soon as you can.

Get the DLC suits. They make life much easier if you are just in it for the story.

I think they should have replaced the combat bits with something else though.
WIthout the action sequences (that sucked balls), it would feel very barren.
Maybe they should replace the combat with typical graphic adventure interactions.

It was GOTY of the dojo, but NOW, years later, yes or no?

Don't make me throw my money please :crying:

There are a few versions, the standard Xbox 360 version, the standard PS3 version (Japan only) and then you have the Director's Cut on PS3 and PC.

I personally couldn't get it to work on PC the last time I played it, I kept having constant issues. It kept crashing and I had to redo the first level so many times that I just gave up in the end. The time before that, a few years ago, I got a few hours in and I liked it despite the clunky controls and gameplay. I can't remember why I stopped playing but it wasn't the games fault. If you can get it working and like odd games that give off a Japanese gaming vibe, definitely give it a try and see what you think. I personally liked the pop culture references, especially the film ones as I'm a big fan of film. I really like Japanese games that focus on the West, you get that outside view that you wouldn't get from Western developers.

Back