Death Stranding unofficial gameplay thread

Mojito

Account Removed at Users Request
Thought it would be cool to have a gameplay thread for death stranding since this is a game we have worried alot about!

Im 1 hour in the game and its... Different.

The game is so strange, but for now its very good actually! Cant say much more for now, but please share your experiences of the game thus far.

Let this be an objective thread where we dont use the words "kojima fanboys", "fanboys at resetta", "shenmue haters" blablabla

So far happyconsolegamer and easy allies have said many positive things about it. They're two channels that tend to reflect my taste in video games so I'm looking forward to playing this game.

I'm interested to get it but how does the online mode work ? Do you need to update the world once before every gaming session, or do structures built by players pop up constantly ?

In other words: do you need to be permanently connected to enjoy the online mode ? (I know the game can be played as a full single-player one but it is not meant to be played that way for a full experience.)

My internet connection sucks so I'd like to know :)

I dont know how many online features there are, but there is atleast the funktion where you can use other peoples latters and ropes. It makes you want to plot a better route from scratch yourself so others can use it.
The game so far is 10/10.

In terms of pacing then its very similar to Yakuza 0.. There is a lot of sinematics and the acting is and animations are extremly well made!

I honestly wasnt expecting the game to be this....fun, Actually having to consider momentum as you go down a slope and narrowly avoiding eating shit, walking around the edge of a cliff and actually feeling like you can fall off easily, not trying to get fucking swept away like a log crossing a river. It can provide some genuine tension.

Its a matter if this can carry god knows how many dozen hours.

Its a matter if this can carry god knows how many dozen hours.

thats my biggest fear about it. Can it hold my interest for 30 or 40 hours?

I’m out shopping now. Thought about buying it but haven’t pulled the trigger.

Last edited:
Havent played it cuz well im broke lol. Easy Allies gave it an 8/10 tho so I trust its a pretty good game.

thats my biggest fear about it. Can it hold my interest for 30 or 40 hours?

I’m out shopping now. Thought about buying it but haven’t pulled the trigger.
I am feeling hopeful it does considering everyone and their mother kept saying the game starts slow and "gets good" 10 hours in, well I'm having a hell of a lot of fun so far and im sure as hell aint 10 hours in. From what I gathered the game has a good gameplay loop of more and more tools being thrown your way so it really becomes open ended how you want to traverse stuff and need to manage items on your journey there. Where im at around chapter 2 its pretty linear and theres not too much to play around with, its just whats there is excellent so far.

I am feeling hopeful it does considering everyone and their mother kept saying the game starts slow and "gets good" 10 hours in, well I'm having a hell of a lot of fun so far and im sure as hell aint 10 hours in. From what I gathered the game has a good gameplay loop of more and more tools being thrown your way so it really becomes open ended how you want to traverse stuff and need to manage items on your journey there. Where im at around chapter 2 its pretty linear and theres not too much to play around with, its just whats there is excellent so far.

Yeah agree with this.

Enjoying my time with it so far. There's also a great can of soda drinking animation that reminded me of Shenmue. What more do you need.

Another thing to praise so far, but Sam has been a very endearing character so far, hes selfish and filled with regret and just comes off as a real human, I really love that hes not some type of well meaning hero, he's basically being forced into this against his will by the side cast and I see so much room for character growth going foreword.

It also helps that unlike a certain mgs protagonist of recent, he actually talks.

Yeah agree with this.

Enjoying my time with it so far. There's also a great can of soda drinking animation that reminded me of Shenmue. What more do you need.
The moment I was sold was something i never noticed in the previews, when I saw theres a freaking double jump? Man i was in. Granted it doesnt look like one, but theres still a freaking double jump and I never take video games as hell stuff like that for granted.

What I am concerned for about the game is one specific part of the story, granted I only heard this from gamespot's review, but they said Higgs was a disappointing villain, and I was really looking foreword to him so I am hoping I disagree with them. I love a good main villain and this one is a game that can use one, kojima usually has really memorable ones save for mgs5 so I hope hes actually good even if he aint gonna be a second coming of solidus or anything.

Last edited:
Official, eh? You sure about that? Has this thread been sanctioned by the developers?

On another note, I've noticed a few times recently that autobiographies have been called "the official autobiography". Why? If you're writing a book about yourself, then what process do you have to go through in order to self authorise the work you're doing to take it from unofficial status to official?

Odd world we live in.

Continue with your discussion.

20 hours in the game now.
Think its safe to say that im officialy in love with the consept (all sanctions are in place).

The online part of the game is a big contributor to my facination of this game.
I love the consept of co-op with people you will never see, and the impact it has on their game session.

Yesterday i created a path for sneaking around the enemy, and a couple of hours later then it said 247 people had used it. (or maybe it was 237 likes, im not sure).

I will not go into the story in details, but its sure as hell good written. The acting i spot on and the gameplay mechanics are very very good.

Hideo Kojima has done something good to a genre thats very generic in my opinion.

It sure is a masterpiece

On another note, I've noticed a few times recently that autobiographies have been called "the official autobiography". Why? If you're writing a book about yourself, then what process do you have to go through in order to self authorise the work you're doing to take it from unofficial status to official?
"Official" would be the label used to confirm that the book has been authorised by the person who holds the rights on the subject. Funnily enough an auto-biography can be non-official if said person sold his rights to make such a book and then created it anyway without authorisation of the person he sold said rights to.

"Official" would be the label used to confirm that the book has been authorised by the person who holds the rights on the subject. Funnily enough an auto-biography can be non-official if said person sold his rights to make such a book and then created it anyway without authorisation of the person he sold said rights to.

Surely you can't relinquish the rights to write about your own life? How would you sort out a cover letter? Would you be infringing on copyright laws by using the Facebook memories feature? All sounds like bollocks to me.

Oh, and don't worry @Mojito, I was merely taking the piss.

Surely you can't relinquish the rights to write about your own life? How would you sort out a cover letter? Would you be infringing on copyright laws by using the Facebook memories feature? All sounds like bollocks to me.
Selling the rights to your biography would not stop you from doing any of those things. It would however stop you from publishing an auto-biography without the authorisation of the person you sold the rights to.

Selling the rights to your biography would not stop you from doing any of those things. It would however stop you from publishing an auto-biography without the authorisation of the person you sold the rights to.

But an autobiography isn't a biography. If I sell the rights to my liver it doesn't give them control over my spleen.

Back