Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
PSN
Inkerlink
XBL
Inkerlink
Steam
Inkerlink
So one thing I've had difficulty with when trying to answer the question "What kind of game is Shenmue?" or "What do you do in Shenmue?", and giving them an answer that isn't "It's hard to describe." or "It's an Action Adventure Mystery Detective RPG Social Simulation" or something equally cumbersome.

If you could find the perfect, one sentence description for Shenmue, that encapsulates everything about the games and also lets the person know exactly what the games are about, what would it be?

I don't have a perfect one but I mostly say "adventure game with martial art setting" because the term adventure is vague enough.

Today you don't need to talk about "qte" with how it became mainstream, but I don't really though about how to explain the disconnect between detective and fight parts when others adventure games mixe both.

About its impact and to compare with another kind of entertainment, to me it's "the matrix of video game", both are the climax of the 20th century movie and game that paved the way for many after them, and still do.

Your title, and what you're looking for, are two very different things.

You should've said in "laymen terms", in a single sentence decrike what Shenmue is.

You see there is a very easy way to describe what shenmue is, but you need to be knowledgeable about asia(not Japan, but actual asia, specifically China, but other countries there use the genre as well).

Example going by just the title, I would say this: "A wuxia series turned into a game" or "A interactive wuxia series"

However if I had to describe it in one sentence in hope the average gager would understand(boy that's harder) :

Maybe "A old school martial arts movie, combined with a sierra type adventure game, and a investigative/detective game rolled up into one. "

Back