Development Log #2

Hadn't done until you gave us the clue...Awesome stuff! I understand how the team is reusing the originals data about camera positioning, for example.

(I guess it's a Phoenix edition thing for the snow pouring inside the dojo :p)
For those on mobile can you share?

xatruio

Site Staff
Favourite title
What's Shenmue
Currently playing
Shenmue 3
I love how the original games look, models, textures, colors etc.
Agreed, therefor Dragon mode definitely moreso hypes me. Also, the optimistic outlook on the d3t reissues: historical preservation. Love the the original look and feel too!

Jibby

🍇
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Beat Saber
Not a member of the dev team, so I can't say this for sure. But I feel it's probably not fair to make any judgements on the aesthetic of either Dragon or Phoenix mode from that tiny piece of early WIP footage.

I highly suspect a lot of the finer details like lighting, colours, and shaders etc. will be be refined and perfected later down the line once the more important groundwork is covered.

Not a member of the dev team, so I can't say this for sure. But I feel it's probably not fair to make any judgements on the aesthetic of either Dragon or Phoenix mode from that tiny piece of early WIP footage.

I highly suspect a lot of the finer details like lighting, colours, and shaders etc. will be be refined and perfected later down the line once the more important groundwork is covered.
Well, the problem is we don't know when it's OK to start giving feedback/opinions on the visuals because we don't know the current status of the project and whether the material presented is finalized or not.

Well, the problem is we don't know when it's OK to start giving feedback/opinions on the visuals because we don't know the current status of the project and whether the material presented is finalized or not.
Well given they haven’t really provided any video footage outside brief snippets and teases I think until they show extended in game footage it’s still early on.

Exactly. I also am of the opinion that the Dragon version should try to recreate as much as possible the original color and aesthetics, and that the current screenshots we've known deviate a bit from that. But it's too early to point at that IMO.

And I wouldn't be surprised that, being in a modern engine, the game ended up offering different lighting and color settings (a bit like the Shenmue II Xbox version, but more subtle).

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
[..] I feel it's probably not fair to make any judgements on the aesthetic of either Dragon or Phoenix mode from that tiny piece of early WIP footage.
What?
But positive feedback is welcome?
When you just want a thread without feedback, close the "Development Log #foobar" thread, after one of the devs created it.
It's a forum and when you post something you have to deal with feedback.

Jibby

🍇
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Beat Saber
What?
But positive feedback is welcome?
When you just want a thread without feedback, close the "Development Log #foobar" thread, after one of the devs created it.
It's a forum and when you post something you have to deal with feedback.
Hm? That isn't what I said in the slightest. When did I say nobody should give feedback?

I just noticed that some people were talking about that footage as though it were the final/definitive look and wanted to remind people that it likely wasn't.

I'm sure the dev team would encourage any and all feedback.

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
I'm sure the dev team would encourage any and all feedback.
I did that:
Is that some bloom effect or is that just to much gamma? ;P
(Sorry I couldn't hold back myself, I just don't like bloom shaders.. mostly I guess).
It would be cool to keep colours and contrasts of the original.
First you say what you like or what not and then you makesuggesstions, that's how feedback works afaik...

Jibby

🍇
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Beat Saber
I did that:

First you say what you like or what not and then you makesuggesstions, that's how feedback works afaik...
I think you've got the wrong idea, dude. I'm agreeing with you.

What I'm trying to say is don't take what you've seen so far as a final representation of the project. Make your suggestions and feedback so that the team can alter and perfect it down the line.

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
@Jibby
Sure.
But I never said that I see this WIP as the final result of the probably amazing project.
;)

Last edited:
Just thought I'd point out that everything in the clip is just default maps and models for the most part. We plan to have a media roundup of sorts showing some in-engine/in-game screenshots very soon :)
How exciting. Sorry if this has been asked before but are you building the games sequentially? i.e. Shenmue 1 before moving into Shenmue 2? Can’t wait to see more.

LemonHaze

Server Admin
Administrator
How exciting. Sorry if this has been asked before but are you building the games sequentially? i.e. Shenmue 1 before moving into Shenmue 2? Can’t wait to see more.
Sort of both, while all of the logic from the original games have been reversed and documented for both, we'll be concentrating on the games sequentially, but most of the backend stuff is being written in a way which include eachother, so that we could release Shenmue I Dragon (and/or Phoenix) first and then Shenmue II Dragon (and/or Phoenix) once complete.

BruceWayne911

Upper Knuckle (⬅️ ⬅️ 🤜)
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Shenmue 3 & Yakuza Kiwami
Sort of both, while all of the logic from the original games have been reversed and documented for both, we'll be concentrating on the games sequentially, but most of the backend stuff is being written in a way which include eachother, so that we could release Shenmue I Dragon (and/or Phoenix) first and then Shenmue II Dragon (and/or Phoenix) once complete.
I'm so pumped man can't wait.💪

LongLiveLemonHaze