Did Shenmue 3 hurt the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shenmue 3 barely has any positive reception in the fanbase and is infamously known as one of biggest dissapointments in general terms for not continuing the story. Shenmue 1&2 despite how polarizing they were could not be disputed as low quality games given their budget, initial reviews and deep storytelling. Shenmue 3 seems to be rather pointless, worse than the originals and is the first game in the series to have bad reviews, the game also seems to have been forgotten.

Depends how you frame it. The game itself has mainly positive user reviews if you look around so wider of the hardcore fanbase it was received ok.

The reviews didn't help, which place the game overall as middling but then we know why that was the case. The overall kickstarter issues, epic issues etc harmed it too. Had Shenmue III been the complete big budget experience then maybe the impact would have been less significant.

But overall I'd say it may have hurt getting a Shenmue 4, however sales were fine, people can say just "fine" but it didnt lose money, kickstarter or not.

It's clear theres an interest in the series given the buzz the anime created.

It was trending on Twitter and fans were generally pleased so barring a few who seem to think that Shenmue III not being to the standard hoped for means everything going forward will be like that, it shows Shenmue fans want more and actually 3 didn't impact that much at all.

But we can't have a repeat of the Shenmue III issues with Shenmue 4. That will be game over.

Last edited:
It seems that the options were 1) The series is completely dead with no new releases in any medium, and 2) We get Shenmue 3 as it is, warts and all, with hopes that the quality can improve in a sequel. Then after Shenmue 3 was released, an anime series starts production.

I'm not sure but it seems to me that option #2 is the one that is most likely to continue the series.

I got the impression that due to time and budget constraints, the development team was unable to do what they really wanted. The game seemed unfinished and rushed. I’m still hoping that more work will be done on Shenmue 3. Whether this will happen I don’t know but I remain hopeful. Perhaps I’m being naive.

I’d like the stamina system to be scrapped, throw moves to be implemented, more cutscenes and doable QTEs to name a few things.

I don’t think it’s too late but it’s probably less likely than Shenmue 4 being developed.

I don't feel Shenmue III hurt the series, remember this is a series which has been dormant for 18+ years! bringing Shenmue III back from the dead was a triumph and one I will hold dearly for the longest time.

Regarding the game itself, it doesn't progress the narrative as much as many would like but I don't think it actively ruins anything either. The actual game was a blast, the majority of my problems are with a lack of plot progression and Niaowu's poor scenario writing. Combat could be better yes, but It didn't bother me as much as many and the end battle was pretty much spot on - just which the time frame was a bit longer. Shenmue 3 doesn't add much to the series as a whole but there is plenty of potential for Shenmue IV to continue from this foundation set.

As for the reception/controversy etc. I'd like to hope that will blow over soon - with an upcoming Steam release at a reasonable price.

I often hear many people say "Shenmue 3 Sold poorly" is this taking into account all the backers copies or just profit from sales from retail and digital beyond that? I've just always been puzzled to when people claim it sold poorly because considering the results we did get a solid-ish game! Which being pushed from a Kickstarter is an achievement which many overlook. I haven't seen any other KickStarter games come close to the quality Shenmue 3 Offers - There is BloodStained, but being a Sidecrolling action game does it really compete with scale of Shenmue 3 in comparison?

I'd have to say yes in the sense that the hype for S3 allowed them to get a decent budget to knock it out of the park, the lukewarm response and sales would have undoubtedly meant that sourcing a similar budget either through crowdfunding or otherwise is likely to more more difficult... And Cedric recently said they'd actually need a bigger budget to do the S4 vision justice, which seems very unlikely in my opinion.

In my opinion it wasn't the game that hurt the series; it was all the controversy right from the start that caused it.
First there was the controversy that sony had already helped fund the game and that there was no need for the kickstarter; second was the lack of feedback from the Kickstarter PR team with the fans; third there was the Gamescom trailer of Ryo and Shenhua without facial expressions; then there was the Steam/Epic controversy; then there was the Yu Suzuki cashgrab with people saying he was only doing it for the money; then there was also the refunds controversy not to mention all the drama around youtube and all the haters.
All of these things created a huge negative vibe around the series even amongst fans.
I have to be honest; I love Yu Suzuki and genuinly think that he as put is heart and soul into Shenmue 3 but he and his team made a lot of bad desitions during the games development mostly by not being honest with fans when it came into the business side of things mainly with the Epic deal; that made a lot of the fans feel backstabed and gave more fuel to the haters and also the backers that werent fans of the series from the get go.
Has for the game I loved playing it; even with all the new implementations that were added. Its not a perfect game but out of the three for me it only looses mainly because of the lack of story progression even tough I think that with some changes in the plot amd the passing could have made the game much better and also let us not forget the enormous hype for this game mainly amongst fans; the high expectation was also damaging in this case.
Looking back into all this drama even before the game launched makes me believe that the damage had already been done; a damage that could have only been atoned if Shenmue 3 were to be considered the best game in the series and that was something that was almost impossible to acomplish.

Quite frankly, no. It's alarming to me how frequently in this day and age people seem to be ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. Shenmue III was a victim of people, who have always hated the series and its fandom, controlling the narrative, and after release, taking advantage of disappointment in a segment of the fans. I don't mean to be too blunt, but part of what 'haters' tend to hate about the property is what they see as delusion. In some ways it's accurate. A few months ago I was even noticing that pre-release media had some people involved with the project (not the development team) speculating that Shenmue III might turn the fortunes of the series around, and be the smash hit that the first two games were meant to be.

Shenmue III had an insurmountable amount of pressure on it to be the best game in the series, break sales records, prove all the doubters wrong, and actually change all of their opinions about the series. It was as unrealistic as thinking the game would conclude the story.

I've personally seen (outside of Youtube, which is a trash-pit as far as discourse goes) just as many people react positively to Shenmue III, as those who react negatively. Opinions tend to follow a normal distribution ('bell curve'), with people who occupy positions at the extremes generally voicing their opinions the most. Most people don't hold a strong enough opinion on the game, which suggests that people who were just fine with Shenmue III are the majority. We have a bunch of sample means where people anonymously rate it, and they put the game at a 7/10 or better, even when talking about press reviews which had scores that didn't even attempt to veil their goal to trash the metascore.

Unless you actually hate the games, don't fall into this trap. Seriously.

Combat could be better yes, but It didn't bother me as much as many and the end battle was pretty much spot on - just which the time frame was a bit longer.
Yeah, I do wish you had to struggle against Lan Di for another few minutes (or even to the point where Ryo is in critical health) but I guess there's also the question of how long is it realistic that Lan Di would have been toying with Ryo.

I often hear many people say "Shenmue 3 Sold poorly" is this taking into account all the backers copies or just profit from sales from retail and digital beyond that? I've just always been puzzled to when people claim it sold poorly because considering the results we did get a solid-ish game! Which being pushed from a Kickstarter is an achievement which many overlook. I haven't seen any other KickStarter games come close to the quality Shenmue 3 Offers - There is BloodStained, but being a Sidecrolling action game does it really compete with scale of Shenmue 3 in comparison?
Yeah, this is a pretty important point. The fact that it was a Kickstarter game is only remembered in the context of the controversies surrounding the crowdfunding campaign. It's not really taken into consideration at all in terms of what kind of game was delivered, and how it's the most impressive game project to successfully come out of the platform. This really speaks to the vast disparity in people's expectations (AAA, blow everything else out of the water), compared to what it really was (Indie, crowdfunded game with a modest budget, and newly formed dev team that actually managed to keep all the bells and whistles associated with the series in tact).

I think the different controversy topics around Shenmue 3
make it look like the game is a total flop, even for fans
but actually like if i look on Amazon Germany for example,
the normal german Shenmue 3 PS4 edition has 103 votes and the CE has 76 votes,
so 179 votes and both versions have 4 and a half star out of 5.
The german Shenmue 1 & 2 HD release has 138 votes and 4 and a half stars.

In the german digital PSN store, Shenmue 3 has 373 votes and 4 and a half star out of 5,
digital Shenmue 1 & 2 has 909 votes and 4 and a half star out of 5
but Shenmue 3 is a full price game and Shenmue 1 & 2 is not.

Or look at Amazon UK, Shenmue 3 has 272 votes and 4 and a half star out of 5,
Shenmue 1 & 2 has 224 votes and 4 and a half star out of 5.
Amazon France S3 128 votes, S 1 & 2 150 votes, both 4 and a half star out of 5.
Amazon com S3 487 votes, S 1 & 2 638 votes, both 4 and a half star out of 5.

So does this look like everyone hates Shenmue 3?

I think the different controversy topics around Shenmue 3
make it look like the game is a total flop, even for fans
but actually like if i look on Amazon Germany for example,
the normal german Shenmue 3 PS4 edition has 103 votes and the CE has 76 votes,
so 179 votes and both versions have 4 and a half star out of 5.
The german Shenmue 1 & 2 HD release has 138 votes and 4 and a half stars.

In the german digital PSN store, Shenmue 3 has 373 votes and 4 and a half star out of 5,
digital Shenmue 1 & 2 has 909 votes and 4 and a half star out of 5
but Shenmue 3 is a full price game and Shenmue 1 & 2 is not.

Or look at Amazon UK, Shenmue 3 has 272 votes and 4 and a half star out of 5,
Shenmue 1 & 2 has 224 votes and 4 and a half star out of 5.
Amazon France S3 128 votes, S 1 & 2 150 votes, both 4 and a half star out of 5.
Amazon com S3 487 votes, S 1 & 2 638 votes, both 4 and a half star out of 5.

So does this look like everyone hates Shenmue 3?
You've said everything I've been saying for months Haha. Awesome

No. Shenmue 3 gave rise to a renaissance for the series, and we now have HD ports, an anime series and whisperings of a Shenmue 4 because of it. It also sold well enough, with its publisher saying it performed 'just fine' in their financial report. Before that, we had Shenmue City on mobile.

True, a lot of people hated it, but I thought a majority of gamers hated 1 & 2 anyway hence why the series has been so unpopular all these years?

Not for me it didn't. It just made me more intrigued for the next chapter. It's easy to focus on the warts, but the ending does what it needed to do to get us to the next chapter. Whether people like it or not. Or whether people like how it was delivered or not.

Sure, there are things about the game that could be better. But for me, it just made me more interested for Part IV and I had a good time playing the game and don't regret it in the slightest. Even with its flaws.

I truly believe it was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation and there was always going to be backlash no matter what he delivered. How can there not be after a dedicated fanbase has spent near 20 years building their perfect sequel in their own head. The end result was probably always destined to divide no matter what it did.

The more interesting question to me is will the Anime hurt the games? As in, will the Anime tell the story in such a way that people will begin to prefer it to the games?

No, I don't think so. I love Shenmue 3. In my opion Shenmue 1 is the best though.
My brother who is new to the Shenmue series thinks Shenmue 3 is the best (he hasn't finished it yet). He started playing Shenmue because I gave Shenmue 1 & 2 HD (PS4) as a gift and after that I also gave him Shenmue 3 for PS4.

Shenmue III was hurt by the expectations of the gamers. Some of which I was guilty of myself. Reason being is because we waited 18 years to get a continuation of this grand epic story and what we got was a game that barely moved the needle. After taking a step back and looking at things objectively, Shenmue III did exactly what it needed to do which was get Ryo out of the cave. I think had this game been released on Dreamcast, we still would be at about 40% of the story. The same discussion we have now on Shenmue III's story progression (or lackthereo) would have existed in 2003.

I have mixed feelings about the game. I love it for actually existing, and giving us a fighting chance for continuing the series. My favorite Shenmue moment in the entire series and my favorite Shenmue music track is in III. However the combat was quite unforgivable and major step down from the phenomenal Virtua Fighter engine.

Here's hoping that Yu Suzuki can gather some sort of AM2 resources within Sega to get a working Virtua Fighter system over to UE5 if they make Shenmue 4.

I don't think it helped grow the series, but it would've taken a huge miracle to accomplish that (something like an anime series on Cartoon Network). Personally, it disappointed me, but it didn't at all hurt my interest in the series or love of the first two games; hence, why I'm still here annoying all of you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back