Did the original Shenmue III that was suppose to release in 2003 had more story?

Did the original Shenmue lll that was suppose to release in 2003 had more story?

• Total voters
Definitely. They did the best they could with our S3, but the scope cut hurt it’s potential so much. Who knows what the original S3 vision would of looked like with a huge budget and bigger staff.

Going back to the original question and now binge playing from the first game, I look at the question as more of a "how" as opposed to "how much." I think the concept of the story would still pretty much be the same. It's the execution that has me thinking. Considering the change in engine, I think it also contributes to it, most especially with how you interact with martial artists. What I loved about the original Shenmue games is whenever an NPC teaches you a new move, you have to interpret it into the controls and if you don't get it, the VMU will tell you how to do it. I know that doesn't exactly relate to your question, but I think it plays a big part with my answer, the execution.

Either way, I think the game was largely going to take place in Bailu Village and a traditional town such as Niaowu. I think the interactions between Ryo and Shen Hua would remain, as well as how the villagers will respond better with Shen Hua present.

I think Niao Sun's character would've been slightly different considering how her design has changed from the original DC demo to how she's portrayed now.

I think we would've gotten a Lan Di fight regardless. I have always felt with the fights with Xiuying were a "preview" of a fight with Lan Di in either later on in Shenmue 2 (keep in mind I'm speaking based on my impressions when I played Shenmue 2 the first time), or a potential fight with him in a third game, which in the end, we got. Except with Lan Di, he will strike back. So the fight with Lan Di pretty much turned out the way I largely predicted.

I think the use of characters and interaction may have been different, most especially with its supporting cast.

Would the thugs you first meet at Bailu Village have a different look? Most definitely. Would Chai have been part of the game? I say that's a question that's still up in the air.

Do I think it would've ended at the Great Wall? A big part of me says yes.

I think it's 80% of the game we would've gotten in terms of story. After playing through the first two games again, the third game progresses the story as a whole no differently from the first two.

Interesting question, we don't know what Yu Suzuki really wanted to do at that time with Shenmue III so this is a hard question.

With everything Yu Suzuki said about Shenmue III 2019 i really feel that he wanted to do more with the game, but for some reason he couldn't delay the game more times so he had to release the game, Shenmue III was delayed 2 or 3 times, i think they couldn't delay the game more because of money and time, i really feel that this is what happened.

In one kickstarter video Yu Suzuki said "Baisha will show off what Shenmue III is all about."

If we got Shenmue III in that generation Baisha would have been in the game? maybe...

I can imagine 3 options for a Shenmue III at that time.

1. Just Bailu Village, without capsule toys and mini games, slow pace game similar to the first game but maybe with more revelations, flashbacks, character development and details.

2. The same places and stories we got in Shenmue III 2019 but i feel that the execution would have been diferent and with more things in Bailu and Niaowu.

Without capsule toys and mini games in Bailu, maybe without forklift in Niaowu, and without the Shenmue Saved part. More character development and stories for the side characters Master Feng, Shiling Ling, Qiu Hsu and Grandmaster Bei, i think that the ending would not have been rushed but i feel that the ending would have been the same in relation to Ryo fighting Lan Di for the first time and losing, and maybe in this version the game would end in the Great Wall as well.

3. Bailu Village, a traditional town like Niaowu and Baisha. The same thing i said in option 2 but with Baisha in the game, but Baisha would have been after Bailu Village or after Niaowu? this version of Shenmue III would have ended in the Great Wall or in the cliff temple? maybe in the cliff temple.

I feel that Shenmue III at that time would have been option 2 or option 3, and i agree that the execution about some things would have been in a different way, and i feel that the game would have the same calm and peaceful vibe and atmosphere we got in Shenmue III 2019 with the night conversations with Shenhua, Ryo living in Bailu Village like a second home for him, Ryo training with Master Sun and much more.

To me Shenmue III is the peaceful time in Ryos's journey and Shenmue III have similar things with the first game like the slow pace, i feel that it would remain like this at that time as well.

Interesting question, we don't know what Yu Suzuki really wanted to do at that time with Shenmue III so this is a hard question.
Well, Suzuki talked about his "concept" of Shenmue III by sharing that he wanted to develop the game internally as opposed to externally.
1. Just Bailu Village, without capsule toys and mini games, slow pace game similar to the first game but maybe with more revelations, flashbacks, character development and details.
I think there would be some minigames in Bailu Village, but maybe for prizes or money?

I know the gambling is changed to tokens as opposed to money just to accommodate modern gambling laws in Asia, most notably Japan. I think we would still have part-time jobs. I remember one of the original ideas was chopping tiles, which I would have enjoyed but instead, Ryo would be chopping wood.

Well, Suzuki talked about his "concept" of Shenmue III by sharing that he wanted to develop the game internally as opposed to externally.

I think there would be some minigames in Bailu Village, but maybe for prizes or money?

I know the gambling is changed to tokens as opposed to money just to accommodate modern gambling laws in Asia, most notably Japan. I think we would still have part-time jobs. I remember one of the original ideas was chopping tiles, which I would have enjoyed but instead, Ryo would be chopping wood.

Yeah, this about internally i remember but we don't know how many locations would be at that time for the game, we don't know what Yu Suzuki wanted to do about the locations, how many locations for the game and about the story as well, i never heard Yu Suzuki talking more things about this for Shenmue III at that time.

If we got Shenmue III at that time Baisha would be in the game? maybe... we don't know.

Minigames maybe but i think not minigames like the ones in YOU Arcade and HI-TECH PANDA, and no capsule toys as well in Bailu because i feel that the original Bailu would have been even more rural.

But i really feel that the game would have the same calm and peaceful vibe that we got in Shenmue III 2019 version.

Back