Did you know? Shenmue Edition

Shenmue AM2 Podcast

Check us out on iTunes and YouTube
I wanted to create a place for everyone to share obscure game quirks. Please keep in mind that these must be FACTUAL.

I will get us started with a few:

Did you know that if you win the stereo in the raffle draw more than once, the second stereo will replace the first one that you won in Ryo's bedroom. The third will replace the second one, and so on and so forth.

Did you know that if you buy an item that gives you a raffle ticket and the clock moves past 11:30 PM while you are paying for the item, the game automatically draws a raffle ticket (Ryo still puts his hand the raffle box, but the game automatically draws a ticket for you, it won't prompt you to hit the "A" button) and if you get either 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th prize on the raffle ticket draw, the game does not allow you to choose which prize you want. It will default to whatever corresponding prize Ryo's hand points at. For example if you win third prize, Ryo automatically picks the Hang-On cassette.

Did you know that various moves that Ryo performs have more than one animation. An example would be a the Windmill Kick. Ryo can perform that kick spinning clockwise or counter clockwise.

Did you know that when you level up a move in Shenmue 1 the animation will change? It will show the move is 'tighter' and more focussed.

Did you know that in Shenmue 2 some of those move animations revert back to the base animation rather than the advanced animation from Shenmue 1. E.g. Swallow Dive

Did you know that you dont need to enter the first four digits of telephone number when you making a call? for example instead of 0468-225508 just dial 225508.
A quick side-note: 0468 was the real-life telephone area code for Yokosuka (so not required if making a local call) in 1986, and it got changed to 046 in 2003.

Last edited:
Did you know you can visit Natsumi Sakuragi the fortune teller at Lapis who can give you info on a lucky number for the day that can help Ryo in his gambling addition at the Slot House.

latest

I could fill a whole topic of this, but I think I'll stick to one a day and stop when I get bored.

Did you know that when you're expecting to meet Charlie in Game YOU, if you haven't left the house by 2pm the game will force you outside to talk to Fuku, and at 2:30pm will force you into Sakuragaoka to fight Charlie?

Did you know that if you go through the whole game without obtaining the photograph of Iwao and Sunming Zhao, there will be a cutscene immediately after Ryo returns home from the seventy-man battle in which Fuku-san gives it to Ryo himself?

Nice I didn't know that. Is it on YouTube somewhere?

Probably not as obscure....

Did you know that when you obtain the mirror not only can you visit the antique shops for information (& cutscenes on them) if you visit the person who teaches you the double blow move (he's in Sakkoragoka park) it triggers a little cutscene about the mirror too.

Last edited:
Probably not as obscure....

Did you know that when you obtain the mirror not only can you visit the antique shops for information (& cutscenes on them) if you visit the person who teaches you the double blow move (he's in Sakkoragoka park) it triggers a little cutscene about the mirror too.
I did not know this.

Back