Did you know? Shenmue Edition

Well, now, wait a minute. On the stream a few months ago, Peter looked up the fine 'n dandy guy in one of the English-language guide books and came to the stunning discovery that he is an actor - an out-of-work actor - who is ACTING like a drunk!!

So yeah... a shocking story, that sounds kind of like a cover-up. In light of the other two drunks being rendered non-interactive... maybe it was all part of a localization effort to avoid the game getting a higher age rating?
I dunno, alcohol use is listed on the ESRB label already so who knows...

I dunno, alcohol use is listed on the ESRB label already so who knows...

Ah, good point. But maybe that refers to specifically alcohol being served at the bars, as distinct from staggering through the streets like a jolly lush, and/or getting hammered because you've lost your job and can't face up to telling your wife the truth of your desperate situation. Maybe the latter - sloshed in the streets, filled to the gills with rotgut like a flesh-mech being piloted by the demon liquor on the economic battlefield of unemployment - maybe that was a bridge too far for the ESRB!

Did you know, when Ryo takes Nozomi back from the harbour on the motorbike, he's still charged the ¥160 bus fare?
Bus fare? No, no, dude - Nozomi merely reduced her, shall we say, usual price out of gratitude ;)

Post all of your "Did You Know?" fun facts about Shenmue I & II here!

i've never added to something like this, hopefully it qualifies

did you know you can put ryo in debt? when he's buying a boat ticket he won't spend money anywhere, but if you stair [edit] glitch to the bus, he has no choice. do this enough to have less then the cost of the boat ticket, and the purchase will still happen and appear to stop at 0$ but in the menu after you will see a minus value. i got it to -1607$. (correct, that's a lot of bus travel and i have no life lol)

Last edited:
Back