Did you know? Shenmue Edition

wow, I didn't know about that, thanks!

You are welcome. Little touches like these make each player's game really personal as not everyone might get the exact same experience.

I'll throw another one, as it is kinda of in the same vein of that video I posted (and easily missed too), but now with Nozomi in it. (video provided by member BlueMue). So, did you know Ryo have an extra scene with Nozomi, thanking her for flowers she brings for his dad's altar?

Last edited:
VGAce said:
Here's one I just discovered...

While you're airing out books at Man Mo Temple, go to Godhead Fortunetellers and have your fortune told. He'll tell you that Zhu's footsteps are in the "old city" (Wise Men's Qtr.) and that you should go to Wise Men's Kung Fu. But, instead of going there, waste time during the day and don't gather any new information.
The next morning, when Ryo goes to air out the books, you'll get a cutscene with Fangmei I've never seen before. She'll be sweeping and forget her dust pan, and then bump into Ryo from around the corner. Ryo catches her broom and apologizes, then he askes about Yuanda Zhu. Fangmei says she remembered seeing the name on a book called Wulinshu in the temple library. Pretty cool alternate way to get the info.

My edit: It's not necessary to visit fortuneteller, simply don't gather any new information.

Last edited:
Did you know that Shenmue has a full day/night cycle, and NPCs have routines that we never get to see. If you manage to find a way to stay out all night, particularly in places like Dobuita, you can see things like people heading home from work late at night, or coming to work early in the morning; or children heading to school. Unfortunately, the game does not have a night/day transition, so it never reloads the scene to the daytime setting, so it looks weird mid-day. I'll try to catch some footage tomorrow; or possibly stream it when I stream on Twitch (I'm heading to go post my channel details in the thread in Community Projects right now. It's a shenmue-centric channel from right now, until I beat Shenmue III; feel free to watch and talk some Shenmue with me tomorrow).

Did you know that the kitten was born on October 15th? She is exactly 7 weeks old on the day you meet her.
You can only really learn about that from Everyone's Space on the Passport Disc, where you get some information on your kitten.

jGpmIod.jpg

Did you know that the kitten was born on October 15th? She is exactly 7 weeks old on the day you meet her.
You can only really learn about that from Everyone's Space on the Passport Disc, where you get some information on your kitten.

Bastard, I was going to post this on October 15th. :D

.... or is it??
The cat is on top of the red gate!
Yes, I meant to post pointing this out too, but forgot :p
Also, I keep seeing people say Megumi only gets to adopt the kitten if you take good enough care of it? I'm fairly certain this is a misconception- I'm sure the kitten disappears from the shrine in Disc 3 regardless...

Yes, I meant to post pointing this out too, but forgot :p
Also, I keep seeing people say Megumi only gets to adopt the kitten if you take good enough care of it? I'm fairly certain this is a misconception- I'm sure the kitten disappears from the shrine in Disc 3 regardless...

The kitten disappears from the shrine regardless, but there's a certain dialogue where you find out Megumi is allowed to adopt the kitten (which only happens if you've been looking after it). This is referenced at the end of Shenmue II when talking to Shenhua (if you talk about the kitten and found out Megumi's adopting it, Ryo will mention it in the conversation; otherwise he'll say that he "doesn't know" what happened to the kitten).

Also in relation to that quoted post: that image is absolutely not from your last free day, as the box is still there. Neither the cat nor the box are anywhere to be found, and yet you can still hear the mewing.

Well I can't speak for the box or how that screenshot was taken but the kitten is in fact sitting up there on the final day.
I spent the free time in my last playthrough just to go visit her and yup, she was up there mewing around.

Well I can't speak for the box or how that screenshot was taken but the kitten is in fact sitting up there on the final day.
I spent the free time in my last playthrough just to go visit her and yup, she was up there mewing around.

In that case, I'll stand corrected. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

The kitten disappears from the shrine regardless, but there's a certain dialogue where you find out Megumi is allowed to adopt the kitten (which only happens if you've been looking after it). This is referenced at the end of Shenmue II when talking to Shenhua (if you talk about the kitten and found out Megumi's adopting it, Ryo will mention it in the conversation; otherwise he'll say that he "doesn't know" what happened to the kitten).
Oh, I see what you mean. Yes I knew about the conversation with Megumi, I thought people were suggesting that the kitten only gets taken in by Megumi's family if you took good enough care of it.
So basically that conversation is only triggered if you took good enough care. What constitutes 'taking good enough care' though? Is this elaborated on in a guide somewhere? Just curious if it means interacting with it every day, or getting all the optional cutscenes involving the kitten etc - obviously I manage to do it near enough every playthrough anyway it seems, but it'd be nice to know the specifics :)
I actually didn't realise it made a difference to dialogue in S2 dependent on if Ryo knew or not though, that's cool.

So basically that conversation is only triggered if you took good enough care. What constitutes 'taking good enough care' though? Is this elaborated on in a guide somewhere? Just curious if it means interacting with it every day, or getting all the optional cutscenes involving the kitten etc - obviously I manage to do it near enough every playthrough anyway it seems, but it'd be nice to know the specifics :)

The specifics are something that eludes me to this day. I only know that looking after the kitten does affect many cutscenes, as I've "scripted" a playthrough which covers all the cutscenes I know of, and following the same route only not feeding/petting the kitten (but still talking to Megumi) means most of the kitten-related cutscenes don't play.

I actually didn't realise it made a difference to dialogue in S2 dependent on if Ryo knew or not though, that's cool.

Yes, a few hidden cutscenes/dialogues affect dialogue with Shenhua. Nozomi bringing lilies for the altar is another one that does that off the top of my head.

Since this thread's active again, let's add some more trivia:

Did you know that you can stay up past your curfew the first time you arrive at the Come Over Guest House? After the first cutscene with Joy in Green Market Qr., do anything except go to Come Over Guest House. The game will force you there at 11pm, but will give you until 4am to find your room yourself.

There's more you can do with this, but I'll save that for next time...

Did you know that by doing the stair glitch in the Come Over Guest House, you can exit at any time without triggering any events that would normally prevent you from leaving, or trigger when you leave? When Joy arrives to take you to work, you can leave the Come Over Guest House without needing to work. You can even talk to Joy, and she'll do some star jumps for you.

Why does the owner of Wise Man’s Pawn Shop say that the Lucky Pawn Shop is more focused on fortune-telling?

Did you know that after doing the trick I mentioned before to stay up late in the Come Over Guest House, you can glitch out and explore Wan Chai and Aberdeen past your curfew? Triggering any cutscene, even the most minor one (like seeing the sign for South Carmain Qr.) will force you straight back to bed.

So this is something I didn't know. Someone posted over on ResetEra that the "Race to the Harbor" song is a synthesized version of the song Scarletto from F355 Challenge, another Yu Suzuki game. This is not the reason I'm posting though.

I listened to the rest of F355's soundtrack, and ran into Track 08. Sounds familiar, no? It's because we have been calling that song "Joy's unused theme" for years, but it's actually just a reused remix from F355 that was probably intended for the Jukebox like Tryno Bass, another F355 song that was used in Shenmue as a Jukebox song.

I listened to the rest of F355's soundtrack, and ran into Track 08. Sounds familiar, no? It's because we have been calling that song "Joy's unused theme" for years, but it's actually just a reused remix from F355 that was probably intended for the Jukebox like Tryno Bass, another F355 song that was used in Shenmue as a Jukebox song.

I didn't know this!

Did you know that you can despawn NPCs in Shenmue II? Use the map glitch to get into Wan Chai without getting your bag back, trigger the first cutscene with Joy in Green Market Qr., and then go back to Aberdeen to get your bag back. Make sure you're following Wong when 11pm hits. Glitch out of the Come Over Guest House and you'll find most of the NPCs have mysteriously vanished.

Back