Digging out the Dream and an unforgotten love

Put this thread on watch, I love reading your impressions.

I'm really eager to read what disc 4 makes you feel. It's a little bummer that you are obliged to make this 2 week pause though, since I think the transition from one disc to the other really adds to the overall experience.

I know I’m late but thank you for sharing with us your experiences. I’m someone who played them religiously throughout high school (then was from December 1999 to May 2001), and since college, I’ve only played them on a seasonal basis to stay true to those roots and keep my passion alive. But I’m glad you reignited yours in your own way in time for Shenmue 3

Hey guys,

I feel a bit bad, that I never finished my reviews. I did finish the game, tho. Just never took the time to write down my impressions. Now I decided that it's time to go on =)

**Recap**
When I was a kid, maybe 10 years old or so, I got a Dreamcast for christmas. In the Internet I read that a game called "Shenmue" should be very cool and unique, so I asked my parents to buy it for me on eBay. My expectations did not leave me disappointed. I loved the game. But the thing was, I did not understand the lot of it, since my english was very limited at that age. I made my way through the first game, but with the second game it became to difficult for me to understand.
However, Shenmue always had a special place in my heart. Every now and then, I checked if there was any news about the third game. And then, out of the blue, there were some news. Some astonishing news.
I digged out my Dreamcast, and inserted Shenmue, Disc 1. The blue startup screen evoked old memories. I ran through the streets of Ryu's HomeTown and during my adventure I encountered many szenes, which were familiar to me, but which I now saw in a different light.
I finished both games. The first and the Second. And my impressions I shared in this thread. This was just before Shenmue 3 was released. And like everyone here, I was very excited. But I also had many other things on mind, and when the game was released, I just - waited...

**For the Heart**
I learned that patience is crucial, when it comes to Shenmue. I don't want to sound corny, but our world is often full of rush and bustle. When we do things, we usually do it to get a result. Our society is so result orientated. Even when playing games most people just try to beat the game and when they did, they loose interest. Or the play multiplayer and try to win. That's competition. Or they play MMORPG and want to collect all legendary items. That's longing for reward. I don't want to speak against "these kind of games". I love eSport and I love MMORPG's. I just want to point out that Shenmue is, for me at least, different. It is not a task. It is not a sport. It is art.

I don’t play Shenmue for the pleasure of skill. When I play, I feel no desire to reach the next level or to beat a strong opponent (let aside the battles, which are great! :D). Rather, I relax into the moment and take pleasure in the freedom to choose to do anything I want. I find it peaceful. I find it nice. Nice to walk around the streets. Nice to talk to people. Nice to look around. It’s nothing I do for my bucket list. It’s something I do for the heart.

**The Spirit**
Sorry, if that sounded corny again. But for me there is a lot to that feeling. I did not write anything about my impressions to the last disc of the second game, yet. On this disc the games “spirit” reaches it’s peak, for me. Calmness, Beauty, Timelessness, Excitement. These are some words I would use to describe it. I don’t want to say too much. Just that I walked through the forest. And I liked it. I whole heartedly enjoyed taking a walk in a forest in a video game with outdated graphics. I think that says it all hehe

**This moment...**
As I said, when the third game came out, I mainly waited. But not only that. At first I watched some Shenmue3: Let’s Plays. Not a lot, cause it did not catch me. I also read some threads in this forum. Again, not a lot, cause I was always afraid of spoilers. Or could not connect to the discussion. I upgraded my computer with some extra RAM and a new graphic card and I bought the title on Steam, when it was released. So I was prepared. And I pretty much knew what to expect: The announcement of Shenmue III was like a dream coming true. Expectations were high. We all were waiting for this game for so many years. Time went by and things changed. It was clear from the start, that the Shenmue of the old days belongs to the old days. What we got today is something different. It is an attempt to give something back to a community, that never forget Shenmue over all these years, by using known concepts to create a fair game that is similar to the old ones and finishes the story, instead of letting it be forgotten. I figured that by reading reviews and watching videos and all in all I’ve been happy with this conclusion. Until today, when I finally continued the adventure. I dimmed the lights, set up my controller and started a “new game”. Only a few minutes later, I found myself standing in front of a bunch of kids, doing Tai Chi. I compared their moves to their master’s. And it was this moment... when Shenmue’s spirit hit me.

Hey guys,

I feel a bit bad, that I never finished my reviews. I did finish the game, tho. Just never took the time to write down my impressions. Now I decided that it's time to go on =)

**Recap**
When I was a kid, maybe 10 years old or so, I got a Dreamcast for christmas. In the Internet I read that a game called "Shenmue" should be very cool and unique, so I asked my parents to buy it for me on eBay. My expectations did not leave me disappointed. I loved the game. But the thing was, I did not understand the lot of it, since my english was very limited at that age. I made my way through the first game, but with the second game it became to difficult for me to understand.
However, Shenmue always had a special place in my heart. Every now and then, I checked if there was any news about the third game. And then, out of the blue, there were some news. Some astonishing news.
I digged out my Dreamcast, and inserted Shenmue, Disc 1. The blue startup screen evoked old memories. I ran through the streets of Ryu's HomeTown and during my adventure I encountered many szenes, which were familiar to me, but which I now saw in a different light.
I finished both games. The first and the Second. And my impressions I shared in this thread. This was just before Shenmue 3 was released. And like everyone here, I was very excited. But I also had many other things on mind, and when the game was released, I just - waited...

**For the Heart**
I learned that patience is crucial, when it comes to Shenmue. I don't want to sound corny, but our world is often full of rush and bustle. When we do things, we usually do it to get a result. Our society is so result orientated. Even when playing games most people just try to beat the game and when they did, they loose interest. Or the play multiplayer and try to win. That's competition. Or they play MMORPG and want to collect all legendary items. That's longing for reward. I don't want to speak against "these kind of games". I love eSport and I love MMORPG's. I just want to point out that Shenmue is, for me at least, different. It is not a task. It is not a sport. It is art.

I don’t play Shenmue for the pleasure of skill. When I play, I feel no desire to reach the next level or to beat a strong opponent (let aside the battles, which are great! :D). Rather, I relax into the moment and take pleasure in the freedom to choose to do anything I want. I find it peaceful. I find it nice. Nice to walk around the streets. Nice to talk to people. Nice to look around. It’s nothing I do for my bucket list. It’s something I do for the heart.

**The Spirit**
Sorry, if that sounded corny again. But for me there is a lot to that feeling. I did not write anything about my impressions to the last disc of the second game, yet. On this disc the games “spirit” reaches it’s peak, for me. Calmness, Beauty, Timelessness, Excitement. These are some words I would use to describe it. I don’t want to say too much. Just that I walked through the forest. And I liked it. I whole heartedly enjoyed taking a walk in a forest in a video game with outdated graphics. I think that says it all hehe

**This moment...**
As I said, when the third game came out, I mainly waited. But not only that. At first I watched some Shenmue3: Let’s Plays. Not a lot, cause it did not catch me. I also read some threads in this forum. Again, not a lot, cause I was always afraid of spoilers. Or could not connect to the discussion. I upgraded my computer with some extra RAM and a new graphic card and I bought the title on Steam, when it was released. So I was prepared. And I pretty much knew what to expect: The announcement of Shenmue III was like a dream coming true. Expectations were high. We all were waiting for this game for so many years. Time went by and things changed. It was clear from the start, that the Shenmue of the old days belongs to the old days. What we got today is something different. It is an attempt to give something back to a community, that never forget Shenmue over all these years, by using known concepts to create a fair game that is similar to the old ones and finishes the story, instead of letting it be forgotten. I figured that by reading reviews and watching videos and all in all I’ve been happy with this conclusion. Until today, when I finally continued the adventure. I dimmed the lights, set up my controller and started a “new game”. Only a few minutes later, I found myself standing in front of a bunch of kids, doing Tai Chi. I compared their moves to their master’s. And it was this moment... when Shenmue’s spirit hit me.
First of all thank you for sharing your thoughts and your amazing experience with the series so far.
It is amazing how much all of us share the same type of feelings and experiences with series in a similar fashion.
Somehow we see the series in the same light and we understand what makes Shenmue such a special and unique experience.
Looking forward to continue reading your toughts about the rest of the series; specially the fourth disc of Shenmue 2 and Shenmue 3.
Once again thank you for sharing your experience with us and keep on because we are all eager to continue reading your posts.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. 😊😊😊

I am a few (slow play) hours into the game and wanted to shar my first impressions

*Three pillars*
For me, the three pillars of Shenmue III’s World are
  1. Story
  2. Money
  3. Kung Fu
You want to progress in each of those.

*Story*
I haven’t progressed in the story very far, yet. I am still hanging around in Bailu, looking for clues to find Yuan.
I like how it all started: Ryo running all over the place, looking for thugs and getting into trouble. Some things never change. I guess that’s just his Style haha. And then, slowly, but steadily, some mysteries seem to be revealed. Ryo makes his way from one little clue, to the next and on to the next and by every little step he uncovers his father’s past and how his own story is connected to the bigger picture. I like the pace of the story. It does not pause or take sideways. It’s steadily progressing. Just in very little steps. And in the evenings Ryo can talk to Shenhua about everything. Finally, he is not all alone on his quest. I like to stay up a bit longer and talk to her, while she is knitting or cooking. A little small talk takes the focus away from the main plot, enrichens the atmosphere and creates beautiful moments.At the same time, the player is introduced to the world of Shenmue, while the areas open one after another and different possibilities emerge. And I found many of those. I think with Shenmue III, the serial remains true to its original open world concept, while extending it according to today's technical possibilities. I find it noteworthy, that the original concept is over 20 years old, yet not at all outdated. I also like to get to know the villagers a bit. They all seem to have a daily routine. Every character is unique. To some I have much more sympathy that to others. Yes, that is the good old Shenmue manner, that I like so much.

*Money*
Jeez, it’s only 1pm and I can meet this person only at 7pm. Should I skip ahead? Nah, I should better make use of that time and work on my kung fu. I could spare with this fat Tai Chi Guy. Or do some horse stance. But wait, I ran out of onions and cabbage. I guess I must chop some wood first.

Life used to be easy in Shenmue I, when Ine-san spoiled us with her savings every morning. In Shenmue II, it it already got trickier. Several times, money was important to reach a certain goal. Now, with Shenmue III, money is essential all the time. The further we want to progress in the story, the stronger we need to become. For which we need to train, for which we need to eat. Even if we didn’t train, the days are exhausting. So, there is no way around it. We got to work and earn our living. Luckily there are so many ways to do that.

Wood chopping – Probably the most straight forward way to earn money. I love how the peaceful music becomes exciting when you hit an ‘Very good’ or ‘Excellent’. I read a thread about the mechanics of wood chopping, but I am still not quite sure how to get an excellent. However, I like the chopping. But it sure takes some time of monotonous work to earn money that way. My High Score so far: 121. edit: 138 =)

Gambling – Lucky hit, turtle race, rolling dice, prize exchanges, fortune tellers and pawn shops. Man, gambling is complicated. I used to collect Capsule Toys for fun. Now it’s another way of business. I drew like 300 bucks into a capsule machine to get this mobile crane, which I needed to complete a set. [I wish I had chosen to take it from the kid, instead choosing the fishing spot. By the way, how does the fishing work? Do I need a rod? Where do I get it? Anyway, I got my skill book.] Since I already got the other collectibles of the set, it will be worth it to go for another mobile crane, so I can exchange the set for money. That’s what I thought. Another 300 bucks later, I realized that was a bad idea. I will try some lucky hit next time. Try to win a racing car. And if I can also hit the yellow bucket, I will win a puppet, which will complete the set. But damn, that’ not easy. Should I try to win some tokens at a turtle race instead? With the tokens I could buy the puppet at the prize exchange, together with a necklace. But where do I get the digital clock? I feel like this is getting out of control. I better take a walk along the river.

Herbs - I like going out to collect Herbs. It draws my attention to the environment. Understanding the maps, can sometimes be difficult, but it sure increases my sense of orientation. At first, I thought that feature to be unnecessary, but I learned to like it.
Groceries – Daily fresh, organic, regional veggies to take away? I want that in my hometown! I am not a hundred percent sure, but prices seem to change a bit. It is fun to compare prices in Shenmue, just like I do in a real supermarket :)

*Martial Arts*
Martial Arts is now Kung Fu. Very well. Names don’t matter. In the first part of the sequel, I was always looking forward to the fights. I was always happy when Fuku-san was available to spare and the 70-men-battle was a big Highlight. In the second part, fighting was more vital and more like a challenge. You had to become good at it, to beat the game. The third part also focuses on fighting, but especially on the Training! At least that’s how I see it. Ryu needs to get stronger to face Lan Di, so he must practice constantly. And that’s where Shenmue III gets it’s dynamic. Work-train-eat.
I guess a lot can be said about the fighting mechanics. To avoid spoilers, I hardly read any Threads about Shenmue III, but I assume it’s one of the most controversial subjects of Shenmue III, when compared to the traditional titles. I don’t love it. I don’t hate it. I am not yet sure if I like it. But I do like the training. And as far as I can tell, the best way to win the fights is by training a lot. So as long as I can enjoy the work-train-eat balance, I am good =).

Last edited:
The Sun of Bailu
The sun outside my window has set a few hours ago, while I am still in pursuit of the Dragon Mirror’s Secret. Similarly, the sun in Bailu, has risen and fallen many times and meanwhile I have defeated the Golden Tiger, learned fishing and proceeded to the clock tower, where I got to know, that I have little time left in Bailu.

It’s kindda hard for me to move on already, so I am using my last chance to enjoy the village and its inhabitants. I had hoped to get more in touch with the great chen tai chi master Su Zixiong. I really like him. But it seems like he rather spends his evenings with Wang Wen at the village square. Even though he is always down for an uplifting fight. I am visiting the places that I liked the most: The old, haunted temple, where I say goodbye to an old, underrated martial arts master, who taught me a lot by letting me chase chickens; I visit the big cherry tree, where I spare with grandmaster Feng in memory of his former student- Ryo’s father; I walk through the sunflower grove, where I talk to the children and I do some side quests, happy about the chance to do some favors. When I arrived in Bailu I felt like the strange Japanese guy. As time went by, I feel more connected to the community. It’s weird how that works. I cannot even tell when that happened. In the evening I discovered something super cool. I can now play Face Off with Shenhua 😀 that’s amazing. What a hilarious and beautiful feature!

By the way, I always played Shenmue in English. Now I changed the voices to Japanese and I like it much better.

Does all that still feel like Shenmue? Kind of. Mostly. Not all the time. And how could it? So much time has passed. When I decided to write about my experiences with Shenmue III, I had the resolution not to compare it to the traditional titles. But now I find that impossible. Shenmue wrote history beyond its intentions. There’s more to it, than just some curious game mechanics and a soothing story. Shenmue history makes the game itself a legend. These 18 years, since the first title was published and all what happened afterwards – I cannot help, but reflect on all of that, while I walk through Bailu. Some people say Shenmue III is just a poor copy of the old games, that it is superficial and half-baked. I do not know how to argue with that. For me, it just is what it is. In my opinion, these kinds of discussions do not even touch what Shenmue really is about. I hope some of you can relate to that.

------------------------
----------edit----------
One hour later, I finished Disc 1 and.. wait what?!... It's 2020, There are no disc! Anyway, Niaowu looks like a beautiful place. I am excited to find out which adventures lie ahead of me =)

Last edited:
* Niaowu*
Welcome to Niaowu. My first impression: Hey they got these soda machines again. And wow, this time it actually has a use to drink them: Orange Juice +20HP! :cool:

**The City**
In Niaowu I realized how I fell in Love with the Game’s Scenery. I already liked Bailu. But Niaowu somehow struck me. I like to stand on the balcony and watch the harbor, the sea, the city at night. I like all those temples and the dresses of the people and I think the appearance of old China has been woven wonderfully into a modern city, where people sell street food and smoke cigarettes in front of their stores. Does someone know if the city is based on a real place?
And the vendor street. Wow. Junk as far as you can see. A few cool things in between all the useless goods. If that isn't a Chinese city. I went crazy on shopping, roaming through the streets for hours, looking for a certain item to complete a set, so I can exchange it for a skill roll. I like how getting involved in the city can be a central part to progress in your kung fu and therefore be a central part of the game. For me, it’s one of Shenmue III’s great ways to suck you into the life of the game.
I found a few places that (so I would say) honor the community. (We did it guys). One is the guest book in the hotel. That’s the best Guest Book ever. Thanks to the whole community for being great! =). And Congrats to all those who are in there ^^
The other are name card in a temple at the Liu Jiao Shrine. I think that’s really, really nice, too.
What I am a bit missing at that point, is some action. I feel like I am just hunting thugs the whole game long and getting nowhere. I understand it’s a big city, but I’d like to see something more unordinary.
**DLC*
Merry Cruise Ship- In case some of you do not know this DLC. There is a cruise ship on which is pretty much a gambling heaven. I found it quite boring. But I got a suit, which really suits me, haha.
The Arcade is massive!! Did someone figure out the mechanics of the Virtua Fighter Clone? Whats your high score? 😀

**Martial Arts**
I practiced the fighting and I got much better at it. Now, the mechanics feel much more natural to me. Don’t know how I find it in comparison to the traditional titles. I guess there is no need to compare. It’s two different games. I have to say that I had my doubts in the beginning... But not I can happily say that I started to like it =)

On more thing that often comes to my mind, is this. When I played the traditional titles, especially on Dreamcast, I find many things a bit weird or disturbing. But it’s so easy to overlook these things, simply because I understand how old these games are and how innovative they were at the time. At some points it even increases the experience for me, by giving it a certain retro flair ^^. Shenmue III, on the other hand, is a modern game. And therefore, I somehow expect a certain standard and it’s harder to overlook certain flaws. And I guess that’s a important thing to understand. The old titles have become something legendary and seem to be, in their own way, just perfect. And Shenmue III sometimes seems to be so imperfect. But I don’t mind. Cause I find it a cool game. For me, it definitely is a “Shenmue” Game. It does have the feeling =)

Niaowu is indeed inspired in a real chinese town called Fenghuang.
I've made a video about it in my youtube channel; if you have the time check it out.

@Sergeynest : Hey, thank you for reading my post =) And so much thanks for the research and the convenient video. That's great! =) It's amazing that it is even called the Phoenix Town. Is Shenmue based on a real story after all? haha :D

I finished the game two days ago. Here's what I wrote down while I played.

**Shenmue III - The controversy**
When I play Sonic or World of Warcraft or Counter Strike or whatever, I never wonder what someone else thought at that point of the game or what he or she felt like. If someone asked me why I play these games, I might say that I find them fun or entertaining or thrilling. And I’d expect a similar answer from most people for most games. On the other hand, when I go to an art gallery (not that I ever do, haha) and I asked someone why he or she likes a certain painting I would certainly get a different answer from each single person. And not only any answer, but an answer that touches complex emotions and triggers deeper thoughts and views to reflect upon. Not in the exact same, but at least in a similar way, playing Shenmue is for me not only entertaining, but rather meaningful. In my eyes Shenmue is a work of Art. As such, it consists not only of the game itself, but just as much of its history, its impact (or not-impact^^) to the game industry and its community.
As I mentioned earlier, I never read any discussions about Shenmue 3 before I played it, because I wanted to avoid spoilers and experience the game with an open mind. But naturally, as I played, a lot of thoughts and questions came to my mind, so I started reading discussions and forum entries. And I found them, without exception, controversial. I asked myself why people seem to have such great differences in opinion about this game. At one point I came to a simple conclusion: Everyone sees and experiences something unique when playing Shenmue, just like everyone sees and experiences something unique when looking at a particular painting.

**Fighting**
I want to talk about Martial Arts in Shenmue III a bit more. First about the Battles. I had my difficulties at the beginning but got into it quickly. I spent a lot of time for training and I always had great fights. I found them challenging, yet fair (I play on hard). Especially the fight at the casino I enjoyed a lot. I noticed that the shelves break, when you smash your opponents into them, and I found that super cool. When I play the game again, I will create a save game before that fight 😊. For me, the fighting mechanics work for 1on1 just as well as for multiple opponents and I find that remarkable. The multiple-opponents-fights I enjoyed in Shenmue 3 even more than I did in the traditional titles. I believe that the aspect of fighting multiple opponents is important to Yu and naturally that effects the mechanics a lot.
The fighting system is certainly different from the old titles, but I find the main aspects remained the same. Here are some points that I like about it.
  1. The 3D-System: When practicing real martial arts, you understand that footwork is half the battle. Shenmue’s 3D-System gives credit to that. Manage the distance, dodge and find a good angle to strike. That’s the key to win a battle.
  2. Moves: There are many moves to learn and remember. And every move has it’s own quality, that gives it its own value. Some moves are slow, but powerful, some can stun, some throw the opponent on the ground, some are good to interrupt the opponent’s attack, some hit multiple opponents at the same time, some help you get out of a corner, etc. The more moves you know, the better you can react to each situation. Get a good set of Move Scrolls, remember as much moves as you can, understand their advantages and disadvantages and understand which move fits which situation.
  3. Feeling: It also feels to me, that the button-combinations somehow relate to the kind of move, they trigger. Which is cool and makes the fighting intuitive.
  4. Simple and realistic: There are no power bars that fill up to enable super hyper blows. There are no ultra-finishing strikes. There are simply different kind of attacks with their own qualities. Yet it is hard to master. Certainly, the fighting is exaggerated, but it contains the basic aspects of real martial arts and it FEELS realistic. Timing is important, as well as dodging. The moves make sense. You can recognize different styles.
Downside: What I certainly miss are throws... Here, the old games have a big advantage, in my opinion.
Since I like the fighting in Shenmue, so I looked for a game, that is similar. To my surprise, I did not find any game that satisfied me. (Recommendations are welcome.)

**Shenmue III and Martial Arts**
While the fighting system is already a great work in itself, it is just a small piece in the mosaic, that Shenmue creates to illustrate Martial Arts. The game shows different aspects of martial arts in different ways. The way of learning “by the book” is represented by Dojo’s like the Martial Hall or Wu Shen Hall. These schools are good, but not outstanding and seem to lack the deeper understandings of the art, that the grandmasters have. The villagers train and compete in these schools, but they also train in public places (Especially in Bailu village, where tradition is more respected than in the city). This is one of many ways, in which the importance of Martial Arts to society is shown. In the Dojo’s and with its students, you may spare and improve your techniques. But the practical fighting, you will only learn in the streets. Here, Martial Arts has become a tool for entertainment (Rose Garden) and establishing power (Gang wars). This is a bit like the dark side. Another aspect, which I by the way did not find in Shenmue I&II, is the analytical or theoretical approach. There is a lot of talking about different styles and such in the game. One thing I found super unique and remarkable is the part, where you must guess the Animal Forms. I think they made it very, very good. I do know a bit about martial arts and I could recognize the forms without problems (I don’t know how easy that is for someone who isn’t familiar with MA). And since the fighters in Rose Garden use different styles and you must fight each one with a different strategy, this analytical aspect is even taken to a practical level. The real Martial Arts are represented through the grandmasters, which in Shenmue are mostly rather peculiar characters. That shows that a person must walk his or her individual path to master the Martial Arts. The Grandmasters are also always concerned about Ryos intentions and believe in virtue. Therefore, they are superior to the “by the book”-practitioners, as well as the street fighters. Furthermore, when Ryo gets tested by Grandmaster Bei, he explains that his style has been kept alive through times when Martial Arts were banned, while he obviously demonstrates a skill that goes beyond Ryo’s comprehension. It becomes clear, that the practitioners, who developed their art in secret were great masters. Thus, the history of Martial Arts is revisited, and the tradition is honored.
Sorry if I am lecturing haha. But I have so much to say about it. I could go on forever. I have never seen a movie or read a book or anything, that catches the spirit of Budo in such a great way, for me.

**Other impressions**
Maps- The maps are hilarious 😀 They are so cute. And mostly I can even read them haha.
Capsule Toys- Today I stumbled upon one of the most central parts of Shenmue. Well, it’s actually not important for the story line, but it has been there from the start- Capsule Toy. I had some waiting time in the game and thought hey, I got some extra money, so why not check out the Capsule Toy Machines. I found it so addictive😀 I really like how they made the Capsule Collection in S3. There are tons of sets. It’s cool to run through the city and try to find a Machine with your favorite Toys.

**What I missed**
I want to mention a few things, that I missed. Now, don’t get me wrong, please. I never wanted this thread to be a review or something. I only use it to record and share the impressions that I had, while playing through the saga. Therefore, I do say these things should have been in the game or should be in the coming games, but rather I want to say that at some point, while playing, it came to my mind that I would really like to

1. Ride a motorcycle.
Riding a bike was a very minor part if Shenmue I. But I think everyone loved it. At least I did. And I saw many fan arts where Ryo rides his bike. With Shenmue III’s many open world possibilities, I would have liked to hop on a bus, take a cap or ride a bike.

2. Have dreams
The dreams in the first game added a lot to its ambience, in my opinion. It could have been nice to take some focus away from the main plot and see more of what is going on inside Ryo’s heart. But talking to Shenhua and making phone calls to old friends was also a great feature =)

3. Eat in a restaurant
Fighting these gangsters in the Casino was tough, but I did well. Why not treat myself with some ice-cream to regain my strength. And afterwards I could sit in a Cafè and relax to some music. That’s what I thought. But the ice cream store did not actually sell ice-cream and I did not find any café where I could sit and order coffee. I mean, that’s just a very little thing. But in that moment, I would have loved to do that.

4. A Story
Well, I will leave it at that.

5. Shenmue online
An open Shenmue World, where you can walk around endlessly, meet other players, fight other players, go on Quests together, …, that would be amazing. I know there was an attempt to create a Shenmue Online. I am not sure if it was ever released. I never played it and I don’t really know what it looked like. But I’d surely support a modern version.

Last edited:
When practicing real martial arts, you understand that footwork is half the battle. Shenmue’s 3D-System gives credit to that. Manage the distance, dodge and find a good angle to strike. That’s the key to win a battle
Oh my god someone who finally gets it . Also in real martial arts : doing the same kicks and punches over and over to develop technique and flexibility - just like striking the training dummies at the temple. Not to mention constantly dodging rather than just blocking stuff (despite what videogames have taught me, blocking kicks with your arms still hurts :sweatsmile:

Nice to see other people figuring out that combat in S3 focus mainly on dodges, distance and timed attacks, more so than previous titles. If you truly master the system, you'll be fighting like Neo from The matrix with the slow time special dodge and also do 10+ hit combos with ease.

Back