Discovering New Things? Small Details You've Noticed This Time Around?

- When we get the Chinese letter translated, I go all the way back to the dojo to see a cut scene of Ryo showing Fuku-san the notebook about what it translates to.

I encountered this scene on my recent playthrough too. Also, I'm pretty sure that's the only time we've ever seen the notebook in-game outside of pressing X/Square to look at it.

When ryo leaves Kowloon, he forget his bag somehow.
I guess it was just for cinematic reasons, but i wonder why. Or am i missing something?

Pretty sure he leaves the bag in Hong Kong (at Guest House room), then goes back to retrieve en route to saying goodbye to Xiuying, witnessing her beautiful choreography and demon's triangle.

On the subject of saying goodbye in Yokosuka, someone on the old forums said if you talk to Yada-san (your forklift boss in case I got that name wrong), he's actually rather short/rude to Ryo. However I've never been able to find him during this time. Is this a Shenmue myth?

This has been bothering me for the longest time. This may be a stupid question but when Ryo retrieves the sword hand guard from Bunkado antiques, who is ‘madame butterfly’ exactly?

It's a reference to an opera.

Yeah, would of the best benefits of not rushing thru and beating the game before xmas is seeing the New Year's week of decoration and dress.

The longest I ever played was on my very first playthrough and I believe I finished on the 29th of December...

Hell, I'll just play 1 until the Warehouse bit and keep failing, just to see that.

The longest I ever played was on my very first playthrough and I believe I finished on the 29th of December...

Hell, I'll just play 1 until the Warehouse bit and keep failing, just to see that.
The thing is, 99% of average players will never see things like this simply cause it’s a lot of game time to wait. Yu Suzuki really did put a lot of extra things in this game, and maybe there’s still things undiscovered. Wouldn’t surprise me.

Currently playing Shenmue 2 right now and I just noticed if you hold O/B you can fully rotate the camera around Ryo if you use the left analog stick. Is this something they added to the re-release or has this always been a thing?

Currently playing Shenmue 2 right now and I just noticed if you hold O/B you can fully rotate the camera around Ryo. Is this something they added to the re-release or has this always been a thing?

It's always been a thing, since the original Dreamcast release of the first game.

Was definitely an accidental and very long-overdue discovery I made on amy 20th-something playthru back around 2015, I believe? Not utilised very often, but neat.

You can also rotate Ryo without him moving by pressing B and left or right on the dpad.

Here you go!

Fantastic video as usual! I’ve seen most of those conversations, except a couple but I’m surprised how curt Yada-san was with Ryo.

I also like how at the eleventh hour the game drops that Ryo and Tom are like best friends. That never fails to crack me up.

Fantastic video as usual! I’ve seen most of those conversations, except a couple but I’m surprised how curt Yada-san was with Ryo.

I also like how at the eleventh hour the game drops that Ryo and Tom are like best friends. That never fails to crack me up.
I don't think Yada-San's curtness toward Ryo was out of line at all. Ryo deserved to get his ass fired. He literally only took the job so he could stir up trouble with the local gang population which endangered his co-workers. Ryo was looking for trouble and should be banned from the harbor and his former co-workers should sue him for willfully creating an unsafe work environment for them.

Last edited:
Back