Discovering New Things? Small Details You've Noticed This Time Around?

In Shenmue 2 I'm like three character interactions away from leaving for Kowloon, I decide to catch one last airliner scene in the Wise Men's Qr. just for old time's sake....but instead I see five jets from Afterburner fly over.
Hooooly shit, I never knew about that. I web search it and now I see all of the posts & vids talking about it, but it's just one of those extra things I've never seen mentioned or had come my way.

This a damn fine videya game.

Yesterday I've seen a cutscene I'm pretty sure I've never had before...

I was heading back the Hazuki residence to see if there was still a chance I could practise with Fuku-san, but before that I decided to pay Megumi and the cat a visit. And then...

Megumi was scared that the kitten was on the top of the altar and could hurt itself when coming down... Ryo tries to calm her down, saying that nothing bad will happen. Then the cat jumps back again to the ground, safely. Right after that, Nozomi arrived, with a pack of medicine, because Megumi had asked her to collect it, predicting that the cat would be badly injured after coming down.

Loved how unpredictable Shenmue can be even nowadays :D

I had no idea until watching Run Button's LP this week that Fuku-san comes down into the basement to help if you take too long to find the Phoenix Mirror 😮

Reminds me of the homeless guy helping you through the stealth section if you fail too many times.

It's great that they put those scenes in there, although to be honest, the Fuku-san scene is pretty clunky. He's like, "Wow! Secret basement! Ohhh, what's this...scratches on the floor?! Anyway gotta help Ine-san, bye!" :LOL:

I had no idea until watching Run Button's LP this week that Fuku-san comes down into the basement to help if you take too long to find the Phoenix Mirror 😮

Reminds me of the homeless guy helping you through the stealth section if you fail too many times.

It's great that they put those scenes in there, although to be honest, the Fuku-san scene is pretty clunky. He's like, "Wow! Secret basement! Ohhh, what's this...scratches on the floor?! Anyway gotta help Ine-san, bye!" :LOL:

Because Fuku-san was not what you think
jMtrveq.png
jMtrveq.jpg

Some of the music is amazing, didn't appreciate it as much at the time though. In my current play through I heard a track, think it was the first time you meet Gui Zhang outside your work. I tried to record it so I could find it in amongst some of the uploaded soundtracks on YouTube, but I couldn't record it in time. It was such a great track and fit so well. I just kept looking to my wife saying "You hearing this? ... You seeing this? .... this game is almost 20yrs old!!!".

Just in case you still haven't found it, I think the track you're talking about is "Receive a Skill to Succeed" and it's one of my favourite tracks in Shenmue as well.

Just in case you still haven't found it, I think the track you're talking about is "Receive a Skill to Succeed" and it's one of my favourite tracks in Shenmue as well.

Yeah it’s hard to narrow down my favourite tracks of Shenmue but this has to be in the mix. Certainly conjures up a lot of different emotions.

I'm noticing small details for the first time... because assets from the beta version of Shenmue appear to have ended up in the HD remaster. For example, there's a sign for the bar "Desert Nevada" around Dobuita that I swear was not in the retail DC version... but a quick Google search reveals that assets for it are present in the "What's Shenmue" disc files and it appeared in pre-release VHS footage.

They're definitely in the original Dreamcast version, I noticed it the last time I played.

If you stop this video at 3:41:00, you'll see, when Ryo turns right, a Desert Nevada sign to the upper right of the Bar Yokosuka sign.

I had brutalmoose's stream archive running in background and I've noticed something interesting.
About the scene where your friends vist you, not only it seems like you don't have to visit bar as I thought before, but the cutscene is also slightly different, where Fuku-san doesn't mention Akemi.
and (starts at 01:07:35)

Another one, In Shenmue II where scout tells you that "The executives are waiting in the room at the end of the hall"
WSLn448.jpg
I kind of didn't pay much attention to this line before. But it actually makes sense, the game is actually warns you not to go to the "room at the end of the hall" because "the executives are waiting there". Before I just thought that that the room is there well.. just because, with no explanation.

Another one, In Shenmue II where scout tells you that "The executives are waiting in the room at the end of the hall"
WSLn448.jpg
I kind of didn't pay much attention to this line before. But it actually makes sense, the game is actually warns you not to go to the "room at the end of the hall" because "the executives are waiting there". Before I just thought that that the room is there well.. just because, with no explanation.
Good catch. It seems obvious now that you mention it, but I never really thought about this before and always just took it as some random trial and error thing.

I noticed on my previous playthrough that you can hold B (O on PS4) to rotate in place. Very useful in cramped areas like the Hazuki household.

This has most likely already been mentioned but I'll say it again:

Shenmue I: Did you know that you can call (and visit) Gui Zhang multiple times even after he read that scroll for you?
(He can read the scroll for you after the first visit to Master Chen.)

I don't remember exactly what he said, I tried this about 4 years ago on the DC-version, he actually gets really angry at you for visiting him too many times -after the scene with the scroll. If I only had a screenshot or a video to share. I was funny because I didn't expect it at all. You have to get iside the old warehouse no. 8 and walk up the stairs, he stands there waiting for you.
If i remembered it correctly.

Another thing you can try is this:
Remeber when you sneak into the old warehouse no. 8? It's all dark but you can actually do that during daytime as well. But I think you have to call Gui Zhang first and "book a meeting". Then you can actually get into the other warehouses around the old warehouse no. 8! They are all empty, or kind of. Something may have been there. I don't remember.

A few rooms that took me about 15 years to discover!
Which is awesome.

I don't remember exactly what he said, I tried this about 4 years ago on the DC-version, he actually gets really angry at you for visiting him too many times -after the scene with the scroll. If I only had a screenshot or a video to share. I was funny because I didn't expect it at all. You have to get iside the old warehouse no. 8 and walk up the stairs, he stands there waiting for you.
If i remembered it correctly.

Yeah he more or less tells you to piss off or get lost. It maybe be buried in @BlueMue hidden conversation compilation but I’ve seen it too.

I noticed that some dialogues in Xbox version of Shenmue II were a bit different than I remember them being on dreamcast.
So I looked at some of the cutscenes and indeed there were some minor differences.
for example scene at the beginnig of Disc 2
tyGntFJ.jpg

hPjZfuO.jpg
and
mh1hiqZ.jpg

hEvuMUK.jpg

I wonder if it has been discussed before, since I don't really remember anyone mention it.

I noticed that some dialogues in Xbox version of Shenmue II were a bit different than I remember them being on dreamcast.
So I looked at some of the cutscenes and indeed there were some minor differences.
for example scene at the beginnig of Disc 2
tyGntFJ.jpg

hPjZfuO.jpg
and
mh1hiqZ.jpg

hEvuMUK.jpg

I wonder if it has been discussed before, since I don't really remember anyone mention it.
Theres also one where Ryo is chasing Ren

DC version: Ryo: "I don't appreciate this"

Xbox: Ryo: This isn't funny.

Wonder why they changed them

Back