DLC

BTW elbow seemed to be this huge favorite of Suzuki's even in S1 VS Chai. No wonder it's still the main knock out blow.

Its pretty apparent it is since there's been an old photo of Yu Suzuki doing the move as instructed by the Chinese Bajiquan master he visited and met to research for Virtua Fighter (and would later meet him again for Shenmue) that taught him the style.

Not to mention him posing in the same move pose for recent pics (one with a cosplay fan)

You're missing out big time. The combat in the DLC feels just right. Reminds me of the 70 man battle. It shines in a way that one on one battles just didn't in the game. I even went back after and played through the main story again after, and it didn't feel the same.

If they could somehow inject THIS experience into shenmue 4 it will be much better off.

Can you articulate what they changed in the DLC to make it better than the main game?

Its pretty apparent it is since there's been an old photo of Yu Suzuki doing the move as instructed by the Chinese Bajiquan master he visited and met to research for Virtua Fighter (and would later meet him again for Shenmue) that taught him the style.

Not to mention him posing in the same move pose for recent pics (one with a cosplay fan)

What is Akira's main move in VF? And the one that the Ai continually uses?

Bingo!

There's no surprise as to why Suzuki has (pretty clearly) made a conscious decision to feature those two moves.

Can you articulate what they changed in the DLC to make it better than the main game?
It's on a timer. To me that made it a button masher. There's a running slide kick now to help run and attack. You just try to do what takes the least time, and run forward. I personally can't understand why you don't like the main game's fighting system, if you liked using the 3 kicks combo in Shenmue 1 to plain get through 99% of the fights instead of trying to pull off your favorite moves. I think you might enjoy the DLC better. To me those combos in S1 and 2 felt like a lazy guy's option. I hated using either the kick, or punch ones. If you apply yourself in S3, if you ignore that it's not Virtua Fighter. You'll learn moves and combos that are just better than in the 2 first games. It's the lack of grappling in the 3rd that was a problem. If he did a DLC, he should have captured at least one hip throw damn it. Or a fireman's carry... Oh well.

It's on a timer. To me that made it a button masher. There's a running slide kick now to help run and attack. You just try to do what takes the least time, and run forward. I personally can't understand why you don't like the main game's fighting system, if you liked using the 3 kicks combo in Shenmue 1 to plain get through 99% of the fights instead of trying to pull off your favorite moves. I think you might enjoy the DLC better. To me those combos in S1 and 2 felt like a lazy guy's option. I hated using either the kick, or punch ones. If you apply yourself in S3, if you ignore that it's not Virtua Fighter. You'll learn moves and combos that are just better than in the 2 first games. It's the lack of grappling in the 3rd that was a problem. If he did a DLC, he should have captured at least one hip throw damn it. Or a fireman's carry... Oh well.

I see what you mean, I can understand that having a time limit and different layout makes it more enjoyable to you. Making it more like a beat-em-up or the like.

Not sure what you mean about comparing Shenmue 1's combos to Shenmue 3 combat but I hated the combat in 3 for a few reasons I've outlined before.
* Poor collision detection
* Poor feedback for hits
* Defense options are weak (dodge is awkward, no parry)
* No throws (I think everyone agrees on this), but it also takes away from the ability/options to damage blocking opponents
* Inputs are just arbitrary and often alternate between moves, so you can't even choose the move you want. I cannot stress how much I dislike these inputs compared to S1&2's intuitive inputs.

I don't want to side-track this into a combat discussion as this should be DLC focused, but happy to continue in another thread like General Impressions if you like :)

* Inputs are just arbitrary and often alternate between moves, so you can't even choose the move you want.

But inputs are not arbitrary at all. If you are using them correctly, the mechanics don’t just suddenly change moves on you. I really don’t mean this as a dig (even if it might come across that way), but going by what you’ve written it seems you’ve not learned how to use the fighting system correctly.

I hated it at the beginning but actually really enjoy it now.

Anyway, apologies for going OT

But inputs are not arbitrary at all. If you are using them correctly, the mechanics don’t just suddenly change moves on you. I really don’t mean this as a dig (even if it might come across that way), but going by what you’ve written it seems you’ve not learned how to use the fighting system correctly.

I hated it at the beginning but actually really enjoy it now.

Anyway, apologies for going OT
That's where sparring came in for me. But also this way i discovered of sliding the thumb. May not work for everyone. Of course each move is explained in the menu too. Certain buttons do 1 move every time. More done together do the later learned harder combos. You of course do move so freely and naturally now in 3D, you can get totally behind a foe making him miss. Doing that elbow at his back. There is no need for any fake evade buttons, it is now as 3D as Ocarina of Time made fighting in good 3D RPGs. It's high time Shenmue caught up. Add the fact you can fight for hours till bored to hon the skills till the thumb just does it, a perfect system. Yes, I miss the throws.

About the DLC, and why I disliked it. That very thing I described above is not possible in that rush rush rush. Cool moves I know very well how to press the buttons to execute in the full game, I mess up in the DLC cause of that rush. It just isn't for me I guess.

How is it so far? Fun?
No its not I love shenmue but they lost me here I've played this dlc for like 5 hour 6 hour finding shop and doing chawan sign now I'm stuck I need to meet him next to the hotel but he doesnt appear I try to reload my save relaunching the game nothing work he doesnt appear I give up it won't work

No its not I love shenmue but they lost me here I've played this dlc for like 5 hour 6 hour finding shop and doing chawan sign now I'm stuck I need to meet him next to the hotel but he doesnt appear I try to reload my save relaunching the game nothing work he doesnt appear I give up it won't work

well it seems hard to judge if it’s fun if your game is broken. Which it sound like it is.

Need a little help, I've been asked to ask questions around Vendor Avenue (showing a photo) but the notebook says Promenade - so far I've only found one lady sitting at a table and can't find anyone else to talk to - any ideas?

It's very early on in the DLC ...

Back