Do you think Shenmue 4 will also come out for PS4?

Games will be released on ps4 for the next two years at least. Unless it’s specifically a ps5 exclusive by design. It doesn’t make sense to limit a game to the most recent gen unless Sony/MS ponies up money for an exclusive specifically to sell the new system.

If sony is making sure god of war 5 is gonna be on ps4 then that should tell you all you need to know about how little faith they have in production to keep up with demand this and next year.

The reality is GOW development most likely started shortly after release and success of originals release. So it likely was always going to target multi-platform development, much like Horizon especially if it releases this year.

All other first party developers will be targeting PS5 exclusively moving forward and to me that’s a good thing. It’s not about ignoring user base but it’s actually using modern architecture, SSD and all the benefits that will bring to modern open world games. I don’t see Shenmue 4 releasing in next year or two and by that point last generation will be totally dead in terms of releases and rightly so.

I doubt that a third party company publisher like 110 Industries or Deep Silver
is going to develop or release a new gen only title in the next 1-2 years.

It doesnt really make sense to limit something like a new Shenmue game to a potential userbase
of what? 20-30 mil people?
When you can have a potential userbase of about 120-130 mil with the PS4 + PS5.

Sure, it would be great to focus on new gen power, performance and graphics only
but why should a independent third party company ignore the old gen?
That would mean that they are pretty much ignoring the money of the old gen userbase
and why should they do that if its not sponsored or published by Sony / Microsoft?
That would mean Shenmue 4 is gonna have a even more limited release than Shenmue 3.

So if Shenmue 4 has a lets say 2023, 2024 release target, i'm sure its gonna be available on old gen too.

While that logic is partially sound, let’s for example imagine Ysnet decide to upgrade to UE5 for Shenmue 4. With Unreal Engine 4 they couldn’t even achieve a stable frame rate even with the Pro machine, they wouldn’t have any hopes with more developed engine.

There are a lot of technical decisions when it comes to deciding on platforms but from players perspective the sooner we can ditch ancient hardware the better because it opens up a lot more opportunities.

If the keep UE4, they'll be able to better optimize for PS4, I'd presume. UE5 will probably result in PS5 only.

Really liked the UE4 engine, so I hope they'd refine performance with better experience and more time from a publisher which won't be impatient.

Personally love when generations last around ten years, but I'll always love old stuff and go into systems late

Back