Do you think that it will somehow succed?

Nemesis

Nozomi Amore
It's difficult to be objective with some phonies out there; when the general public had forgotten the game they would say that it is a masterpiece, back at 2015 they were fans since 1999... six months later they were haters xD probably heard from the game from the cousin of a friend and, if the game succeds, they will have been fans since the saturn era.

Anyway, do you think that the game will attract more people than the fanbase?

Remember that the game itself it's finished and now they are polishing it, so it may be way more appealing to the public. Also, that would mean more investment for the fourth entry.

P.D. Is it known how many chapters will cover S3?

Logically it looks like the odds are against us, but who knows. It really seems like the typical game enthusiast is now way more open to lower budget, "weird", Japanese etc etc games than they were even just a generation ago. If we're lucky, it could catch fire.

Calling it now. Shenmue III will be a martial arts masterpiece and release to much greater critical and commercial acclaim than many may anticipate. A saga once ahead of its time, will now be of the right time. Destiny is at the door...

I'd be very surprised if it turns out to be well received by the mainstream, my hope at this point is that sales from existing Shenmue fans will be enough for it to be commercially successful.

Agreed, though there is this persistent (naive?) feeling that maybe, just maybe, it will garner some interest beyond us fans with coverage from known game magazines etc. just enough that people who are unaware or on the fence might just pick up a copy to see what the fuzz from a devoted fan base is all about. Still, if that fails, I hope our enthusiasm will be sufficient to see a continuation and eventual closure of the saga. Know I'm not the only one who bought several copies of the re-release and will buy several of SIII. Might be that the fact that us old schoolers have now reached an age where we can afford to do just this is enough. Harsh but hey. Yay.

It'll find its niche. Most high profile indie games seem to. If not, at least it will probably do better than Dark Dreams Don't Die (D4)

Martial Arts are now more mainstream than ever. RPG’s are more popular than ever. Open Worlds are now bigger than ever. Platform accessibility is the greatest ever. Promotional possibilities are the best ever.

Why can’t Shenmue III succeed better than ever?

Last edited:
To my mind, the chief concern should be enough support to get the story finished; as some have mentioned, it should much cheaper to make 4 (and 5 if needed). That said, I think a contrast can be made:
On the one hand, the game is a niche game, and it will always lack an appeal for the common gaming crowd. Some will snub it, especially as it doesn't have the graphical punch that 1/2 had.
On the other, niche games have really started to shine (in contrast to AAA claptrap) and, as reminisce notes, 3 will combine several genres in a unique way that will certainly turn some heads that may have looked straight ahead in 2000/1.

To the original point: I'd rather it make the money it needs to make in order to continue the story, and after that fans can work on spreading the game's appeal through word of mouth (youtube, etc.) I think it'll certainly catch some new fans, but I doubt it will be an overnight hit. More importantly, it's ok that it may not be one.

Last edited:
It will find it's way. it is quite certain that it will make the old fans happy and maybe even get the Attention of some new fans. it is hard to say though how many new fans it will attract. If the game is a real classic Shenmue, and the Infos we have so far points in that direction it will not be a game for everybody. Shenmue is not your typical Video game. it is not that type of game that you very often today. it is quite the opposite of the modern day AAA Story driven Video game. Maybe it will attract the indy game community and maybe even some People off the mass market.

Days Gone is getting seriously marketed. The marketing push has been heavy since January and keeps ramping up the closer it is to release. It is a AAA game with photorealistic graphics.

Yet hardly anyone is interested in it, compared to Sonys other IP.

So saying Shenmue 3 will be successful just because Sony might give it a huge marketing push is not really correct.

I've no doubt that if the game functions well enough, and the story is engaging then it will at least be seen as a success by the fans. Whether that reach can extend further than the people who would actively seek this sort of thing out is another question entirely. I do feel like the pool of people who play video games is definitely wider now, to the point where everything to some degree has a chance of being successful. When you think that evey game finds its audience eventually unless it's truly terrible, and can co-exist alongside everything else. Something like Shovel Knight and Firewatch can be available on the same console/PC both of which are wildly different games, and both have their sets of fans. Even if it's not a massive success at the start, that doesn't mean it won't find its feet at some point in the future either. No Man's Sky was a pretty good example of a game that didn't live up to the expectations (I still personally enjoyed what I got from it to begin with.) But it still ultimately found its audience and people who love it, and now it continues to evolve every few months or so.

So there's definitely a possibility for success. If nothing else, maybe we can all have a whip around again and get another kickstarter going. I'd like to think for as long as we're willing to push the train further down the track together, it may eventually reach its destination. But let's see how this game goes first. Mostly I just want to be able to enjoy the game, I'll think about the ramifications of it all when I'm about halfway through probably.

I see all the Yakuza crowd picking up this game,and it's successful enough isnt it?
I dunno, depends which part of the fanbase.

Meme-tier "yAkuZa Is ShEnMuE bUt GoOd!" fans have a weird tribalism about trying to cut Shenmue down, so they can put Yakuza on a pedestal. It's unfortunate, because there's genuinely room for both series on the market, and the fanbases have more in common than not (i.e, struggling against SEGA to get what they want).

I dunno, depends which part of the fanbase.

Meme-tier "yAkuZa Is ShEnMuE bUt GoOd!" fans have a weird tribalism about trying to cut Shenmue down, so they can put Yakuza on a pedestal. It's unfortunate, because there's genuinely room for both series on the market, and the fanbases have more in common than not (i.e, struggling against SEGA to get what they want).
God I hate those cunts.

ShenmueTree That is not entirely correct. Days Done roses quite high in the US Pre Order charts and it is also always in the most wanted List of the upcoming PS4 titles in the official Playstation UK Magazine. I have not numbers to compare it with other games but the status of Days gone is not that bad. Just because the internet is not going crazy does not mean that there is no interest. The internet is not the real world. And things might be different on the internet than in the real word.

But I have to agree. Just because the marketing of a game is good does not mean it will succeed. But Shenmue does not depend on mainstream marketing. It is a secret geme and secret gems have other ways to get known.

No, I dont think so. Because the general gaming press nor the general audience doesnt care about Shenmue.

Shenmue III was making more noise when it was a vaporware and possibly a AAA exclusive either for one of the big 3 console manufacturers.

But in the end, not only the marketing is downright inexistant, the press coverage is super weak. Major outlets dont even cover the game unless they have a Shenmue fan in their team. And when these outlets cover something around the game, it's often wrapped with a lot of negativity or concern trolling (save for, as I said, these articles and preview wrote by these fans).

When the game release new medias, it's often not carried by these outlets. Easy exemple: Take the latest trailer. It was uploaded on Shenmue fan channels on Youtube and Shibuya Production. PlayStation didnt upload it (they didnt either for the Gamescom 2018 Trailer, save for the European channel). Deep Silver didnt upload it. Neither did major gaming websites.

And when the game will release, considering how AA title score these days (as an exemple, Vampyr scored a 70 on Metacritic), I expect Shenmue III to be on the low 60s (because "uh tHe fAcEs lUuuuuulz).

As for the sales, well, Shenmue III is the third game in an established story driven serie... Which next to no one has played. And the remaster, which was meant to introduce new players, didnt set the charts in fire. In fact, most of these sales came from us, those who already played the games. That + the reviews tearing the game appart... Yeah, I dont see it being a success at all. And unless we all buy the game again (since I assume we all backed it) well... I dont see it selling a lot either.

Back