Do you think that it will somehow succed?

Maybe on Nintendo for HD (as well as Shen3 if it is on XBOX), but otherwise any mass porting might be detrimental to a team as small as YSnet. Would prefer they work on patches/hypothetical DLC, then rest for a bit to recharge before Shenmue 4.

Shenmue 3 promotion started at MAGIC '19. A month has already passed since that, and we haven't seen anything new since then.
We may get a new update this month or not.
People keep forgeting that demos and gameplay are normaly shown much closer to the release.
Red Dead 2's first gamplay trailer was shown only 2 and a half monts away from the release so.
There is nothing to worry about for now I think.

Shenmue 3 can easily succeed. They just need to get the marketing right. Whether they will, thats another question.

Bad games with great marketing have sold like hot cakes. As well as odd games.

I think our major concern should be, if they have a solid marketing strategy or if they are just going to float by and leave it to chance, which honestly would be suicide.

Personally, i say from here on out, 80%+ of their efforts should go into solid marketing and heavy promotion for the following months. That means making use of every possible resource. It would be a crying shame if they drop the ball right at the end.

I think most of our worries comes from how the project has been handled up until this point. Unfinished trailers, Disastrous PR during the kickstarter, etc. Hopefully, they've learnt from all their mistakes and can knock it out of the park going forward.

Shenmue 3 promotion started at MAGIC '19. A month has already passed since that, and we haven't seen anything new since then.
We may get a new update this month or not.
People keep forgeting that demos and gameplay are normaly shown much closer to the release.
Red Dead 2's first gamplay trailer was shown only 2 and a half monts away from the release so.
There is nothing to worry about for now I think.

I think because of just how big R* they can get away with that - GTA had next to no actual gameplay footage shown prior to release beyond leaks. I still think they should have shown off that gameplay Demonstration on MAGIC 19's stage, not just for my own eagerness but Shenmue III is still really difficult to pitch to new comers. Seeing some gameplay exploring the area and the depth it has with the interaction and little features like Capsule Toy Machines and shops etc would gain a lot of appeal.

Even as a fan, it's really hard to pitch the game to friends - I did buy and give then HD ports too, but had to apologise due to the bugs and lack of it being in widescreen. But the Magic 19 trailer didn't really show of the game very well.

I think because of just how big R* they can get away with that - GTA had next to no actual gameplay footage shown prior to release beyond leaks. I still think they should have shown off that gameplay Demonstration on MAGIC 19's stage, not just for my own eagerness but Shenmue III is still really difficult to pitch to new comers. Seeing some gameplay exploring the area and the depth it has with the interaction and little features like Capsule Toy Machines and shops etc would gain a lot of appeal.

Even as a fan, it's really hard to pitch the game to friends - I did buy and give then HD ports too, but had to apologise due to the bugs and lack of it being in widescreen. But the Magic 19 trailer didn't really show of the game very well.
We don't know the real reasons for it, but if Yu didn't show gameplay to the public thats because maybe what they had was not polished enough yet to be shown.
The last development months are super-important. The polish will hopefully somoth the rough edges the game probably had at the time of MAGIC making it ready to be fully shown in few months.
The wait is almost over.
Time is flying and in no time we all going to have what we want.

Last edited:

I thought the Magic '19 trailer was butt. Nothing beats the Gamescom '18 trailer from last summer.

Do we know if Deep Silver will be at E3? For some reason I still have a bad feeling that even if they are, they won't show anything for Shenmue 3.

I thought the Magic '19 trailer was butt. Nothing beats the Gamescom '18 trailer from last summer.
I agree, but I do think the MAGIC 19 works well before the Gamescom 18 trailer for a more coherent experience - The biggest issue with the MAGIC 19 trailer is how it fades off, so in having it lead into the next trailer it seems much better:

Last edited:
Reviews are indeed not everything but Dotnod got some credits with the great Life is Strange 1. So maybe the good Reputation from LiS helped the game a bit.

That's a Advantage that Shenmue 3 has not. It is the first game of the Company, and they did not made any games since S2. And that has been a while.

Do not want to be negative here it is possible that S3 will be a instant hit like the first LiS. But the Situation of these 2 games cannot be compared 1:1

I sort of see what you're saying, but DontNod aren't totally a "do no wrong" darling of the gaming community- and Vampyr had the disadvantage of being both a new IP, and being subject to a few negative press previews before release.

All things being equal, I just don't see Shenmue III having substantially less of a shot at success.

No they came out of nowhere and were lucky enough to make a instant Hit with LiS. And the LiS Hype might have generated the interest of some Gamers for Vampyr. Maybe few People have bought it, if there was no LiS, which many People myself included really liked.

Y-s has not such a ace in the whole. But that does not mean they cannot be sucessful. If Life is Strange made it, Shenmue 3 can make it as well. And Vampyr is another prove that a indie game that is not loved by the critics can be sucussful.

Great news for Vampyr, I still need to get around to it myself - it's on my Backlog for this year.

I see that the KickStarter project BloodStained is edging closer to release, certainly keeping an eye on this as it gets released to see how it does. Saw a recent trailer and it looks like it's turning out quite well:

I'm not really into 2D Metroid-Vania type games (I did prefer a 3D rendition of this in Pandora's Tower for the Wii) but I am considering picking it up.

Are there any twitch or youtube e-celebs that like Shenmue?

Well, I can't say I know if you would consider him an "e-celeb," but Vinesauce's Joel (Vargskelethor) has a pretty reasonable following and he is on record as liking Shenmue a lot. When he finished Shenmue 1, he said it had entered into his list of favourite games, and is currently going through Shenmue 2 with a stream every once in a while.

His open-mindedness and appreciation for the unique experience that is Shenmue was evident very quickly, so somewhere between an hour and a half to 3 hours into watching his playthrough of the first game, I knew it was definitely for me, then got HD release and finished it around a week ago or so.

Keep in mind, I knew virtually nothing about Shenmue prior to watching his streams except that it had something to do with forklifts at some point. So whether he's large enough to earn the "e-celeb" status (209,414 followers on Twitch as of this writing, 344,063 subscribers on his uncut streams channel, and 631,528 subs on his 'highlights' channel) aside, I think it's more important for there to simply be streamers who are passionate about the unique kind of game they're experiencing. Dunkey made a video about Shenmue that has over 2.4 million views, but he disliked the game. Had that been my only experience with Shenmue, I don't think I would've wanted to play it.

If there's some huge streamer or YouTuber who also happens to like it, that's even better, but primarily, we just have to hope that even medium or smallish streamers or YTubers are positive, because that sort of disposition to the game is absolutely infectious to their audience, and could very likely do far more to increase sales than anything.

Last edited:
Back