Do you think there will be any deaths in Shenmue IV

the_phoenix_mirror

10 years early.
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Daytona USA Iraq version
I'd imagine Shenmue IV will be very story heavy like Shenmue II and combine a couple of Shenmue's chapters into 1 game to wrap up the series quickly. With that being said I could see a major death happening in the story, so do you think we will lose any important characters? My money is on Ren dying unfortunately.

Last edited:
I'd imagine Shenmue IV will be very story heavy like Shenmue II and combine a couple of Shenmue's chapters into 1 game to wrap up the series quickly. With that being said I could see a major death happening in the story, so do you think we will lose any important characters? My money is on Ren dying unfortunately.
Ever since those GDC cards were released many of us have speculated Ren will die given the art in 2nd to last chapter card.
Another favourite is Ziming potentially sacrificing his life to help Ryo in his quest, I think that’s another possibility.

Whatever the case is, I really hope real stakes and repercussions are felt in Shenmue 4’s narrative. One of my biggest criticisms with Shenmue 3 was I felt a lot of the story didn’t land as well because the narrative lacked any real danger and stakes, so putting character deaths to one side I hope they can focus on this.

Yeah, I have a feeling Ren may die, and Ryo will finally realise the significance of Iwao’s last words about keeping friends close to you. I need to find the exact wording of what Shenhua says but I’m sure she mentions on the walk to Bailu about the Big Dipper being a harbinger of doom, and Ren does point it out in the sky when he and Ryo camp out handcuffed on the roof…

I guess Niao Sun will die, because the treasure or the clifftemple will be corrupted somehow. Her fires will be existiguished by the shadow of Chi You.

The next act will be about Lan Di needing Shenhua's abilities, in order to endure the shadows, taking her power for the Chi You. Shenhua returns home and finds Lan Di has razed the Shennue tree, to send her a message.

The only character I could see dying from this point is probably Lan Di because he needs to atone for the blood he spilled in the first game. Ryo needs to ‘keep friends close to him’ after Iwao’s death, so I don’t think the companions he’s meeting along his travels should be killed off.

Ryo needs a master to tell him his quest for revenge has only caused more problems (Niaowu Castle) to snap him out of it, but I personally think a character death might be too extreme and would only incite more rage in Ryo when he should be losing his desire for revenge.

The only character I could see dying from this point is probably Lan Di because he needs to atone for the blood he spilled in the first game. Ryo needs to ‘keep friends close to him’ after Iwao’s death, so I don’t think the companions he’s meeting along his travels should be killed off.

Ryo needs a master to tell him his quest for revenge has only caused more problems (Niaowu Castle) to snap him out of it, but I personally think a character death might be too extreme and would only incite more rage in Ryo when he should be losing his desire for revenge.
I think Shenhua will die in a way, ascend to the stars, and I guess she could be reincarnated in an ambigious post-credits scene, because I believe she represents the Phoenix and rebirth. I agree killing Ren might be too much, as well.

I guess Ren and Sun will contrast, Sun will be consumed by the calamity of the treasure, Ren will reject it and save himself.

I think Shenhua will die in a way, ascend to the stars, and I guess she could be reincarnated in an ambigious post-credits scene, because I believe she represents the Phoenix and rebirth. I agree killing Ren might be too much, as well.

I guess Ren and Sun will contrast, Sun will be consumed by the calamity of the treasure, Ren will reject it and save himself.
All that really works for me. I contemplated Ryo being the one to sacrifice himself in some way due to him being in the sky in the last chapter card -- similar to how Iwao is in the sky in the first -- but ultimately I don't think we can rely on the cards for much at all at this point.

All that really works for me. I contemplated Ryo being the one to sacrifice himself in some way due to him being in the sky in the last chapter card -- similar to how Iwao is in the sky in the first -- but ultimately I don't think we can rely on the cards for much at all at this point.
I have a feeling Ryo is the 'morning star glistening alone' and will have to live on, even when Shenhua is forced to leave him. If Shenhua is the Phoenix and Lan Di represents the Dragon in the ultimate lines of the poem, you think that would leave Ryo, the main protagonist, as the morning star somehow.

A lot of things changed since the concept arts but i think that some things on the cards maybe will appear in future games, it is not impossible.

For example look at this card

1628515925685.png

After Shenmue III release now it is clear to me that this is the Niaowu chapter, one of the chapters in Shenmue III. I don't know if at that time the city name was Niaowu but it is clear to me that Shenmue III have this chapter.

When i look at this concept art i can clearly see a city that remind me of Niaowu, i can see Yanlang, Niao Sun, the old man is probably Master Sun or Grandmaster Bei, we can see Ryo training (Shenmue III focus a lot on training), we can see Shenhua and Ren.

Like i said in another thread i'm not obsessed with the Virtua Fighter RPG vision but in my opinion the content of that time looks beautiful, i hope we can at least read this content someday, i don't think Yu Suzuki will discard everything we see in the concept arts and on the scripts The Legend Of Akira.

To me Ryo (Akira) being in the sky on the last card can mean two things, one is that maybe he will die, i don't think this will happen, the other option is that maybe this was to show that Ryo will return to Japan or that maybe he is in a new place, a new adventure.

About the question of the thread i think a character will die, i don't know if this will happen in Shenmue IV or V but i think someone will die.

Possible deaths:

Ryo: It is possible but i don't think Ryo will die.

Shenhua: What Demon's Triagle said can happen, it is possible but i don't want Shenhua dying, she is one of my favorite characters in Shenmue but maybe this will happen, If it's done in an interesting way I'll like it.

Ren: I can see Ren dying and this way Ryo will finally understand the last words of Iwao... "Keep friends, those you love, close to you"

Lan Di: Maybe Lan Di will die, i think Ryo and Lan Di will learn the true about what happened in Meng Cun, i think they will understand each other and maybe even join forces to destroy The Chi You Men, maybe Lan Di will die saving in Ryo, i think is possible, only time will tell.

Probably Niao Sun and the other leaders of the Chi You Men will die.

Maybe Ziming will die sacrificing himself or maybe Xiuying will kill him or at least defeat him, i say this because on the manga Side Stories Ziming thought... "Make yourself Strong, Xiuying. Stronger than me." So i think maybe we will see a battle Ziming VS Xiuying, this battle have the potential to be a emotional battle.

I think the remaining chapters will be emotional and intense

Last edited:
A lot of things changed since the concept arts but i think that some things on the cards maybe will appear in future games, it is not impossible.

For example look at this card

View attachment 12501

After Shenmue III release now it is clear to me that this is the Niaowu chapter, one of the chapters in Shenmue III. I don't know if at that time the city name was Niaowu but it is clear to me that Shenmue III have this chapter.

When i look at this concept art i can clearly see a city that remind me of Niaowu, i can see Yanlang, Niao Sun, the old man is probably Master Sun or Grandmaster Bei, we can see Ryo training (Shenmue III focus a lot on training), we can see Shenhua and Ren.

Like i said in another thread i'm not obsessed with the Virtua Fighter RPG vision but in my opinion the content of that time looks beautiful, i hope we can at least read this content someday, i don't think Yu Suzuki will discard everything we see in the concept arts and on the scripts The Legend Of Akira.

To me Ryo (Akira) being in the sky on the last card can mean two things, one is that maybe he will die, i don't think this will happen, the other option is that maybe this was to show that Ryo will return to Japan or that maybe he is in a new place, a new adventure.

About the question of the thread i think a character will die, i don't know if this will happen in Shenmue IV or V but i think someone will die.

Possible deaths:

Ryo: It is possible but i don't think Ryo will die.

Shenhua: What Demon's Triagle said can happen, it is possible but i don't want Shenhua dying, she is one of my favorite characters in Shenmue but maybe this will happen, If it's done in an interesting way I'll like it.

Ren: I can see Ren dying and this way Ryo will finally understand the last words of Iwao... "Keep friends, those you love, close to you"

Lan Di: Maybe Lan Di will die, i think Ryo and Lan Di will learn the true about what happened in Meng Cun, i think they will understand each other and maybe even join forces to destroy The Chi You Men, maybe Lan Di will die saving in Ryo, i think is possible, only time will tell.

Probably Niao Sun and the other leaders of the Chi You Men will die.

Maybe Ziming will die sacrificing himself or maybe Xiuying will kill him or at least defeat him, i say this because on the manga Side Stories Ziming thought... "Make yourself Strong, Xiuying. Stronger than me." So i think maybe we will see a battle Ziming VS Xiuying, this battle have the potential to be a emotional battle.

I think the remaining chapters will be emotional and intense
Xiuying being left with no choice but to strike her brother down, to save her friends could be a powerful scene. I can imagine he forgives her, with his last breath, and tells Xiuying to keep both pieces of the Yin/Yang pendant.

Absolutely there will be a death in IV. Who knows who that character will be but I believe Ren & possiblily a Ziming redeeming himself before saving Xiuying or Ryo is definitely on the cards.

Unless it's announced Shenmue 4 will be a death of the series. The continuation that never was. S3 was nearly that.

Ren dying unfortunately.
ive always though shenmue will have some mystical elements, so characters will die, maybe the story will get very sad but ryo will get a second chance to bring them all back to life.

in my fan fiction, Fantasy idea (lol) ryo would ultimately go back in time though some sort of self sacrifice, giving ryo a second chance to defeat lanDi and save his father.. this would cause a ripple effect, meaning all his friends would be alive.

I strongly suspect someone will have to die for plot development, including Ryo's personal growth. I thought Ren would die in S3, but I trust Yu Suzuki understands good writing well enough to recognize that a death has to be meaningful-- right time, right place. If the goal is to conclude in five games, I'd be surprised if we don't find a death in a hypothetical S4.

Something I've thought about increasingly is, though I forget where I read it, Suzuki's comments on how Star Wars had some influence on the series arc. Not to overthink it, but perhaps part of the plot is to have a trio who all make it out alive. The mythical/mystic elements complicate who (what?) Shenhua is, and I can still see Ren serving that role for Ryo, but, again, maybe the goal is for all three to survive and go on their separate paths. My personal bet for a meaningful death is now on Ziming (and, of course, the classic slow processing of that event by Ryo).

In terms of Ryo in the sky, and the talk of the cards, I think what may be more important is to remember this slide from the presentation. I strongly doubt this aspect of the main narrative (chiefly, the "start afresh") has changed. He's not Akira anymore, but he's still young and has a long life to lead. Maybe he won't "lose purpose", but he'll begin anew.

virtua fighter rpg.png

Last edited:
My theory on why I believe Ren will die is with these two pictures.

When Yu Suzuki showed the pictures of the legend of Akira there are 2 pictures that stuck with me.
Screenshot_20211202-012713_Opera.jpg

Notice in the first image the guy behind Akira looks similar to Ren (he even has the same bandana) look at the next picture the guy who Akira is holding has the same colored pants and the exact same sleeves. Unless if that's Ren's twin brother "Wen" I believe it's Ren who is in the two pictures.

Yeah, I have a feeling Ren may die, and Ryo will finally realise the significance of Iwao’s last words about keeping friends close to you. I need to find the exact wording of what Shenhua says but I’m sure she mentions on the walk to Bailu about the Big Dipper being a harbinger of doom, and Ren does point it out in the sky when he and Ryo camp out handcuffed on the roof…
The last Shenmue game I did play in this year was Shen2 and I did think that exactly. I think that Iwao words about keep friends close is what will save Ryo in the end of the revenge that can consume him(and well, in all of his journey, he couldn't survive without the help of all of his friends).

Perhaps if Ryo would have worried more of his friends instead of revenge, Ren could be still alive. (If he dies, sure) That may be the reason that ignites more the revenge in him with the guilt feeling.

Now reading comments here, I even think that would be possible that if Shenhua have the phoenix power, she can revive Ren in the end. Or not, if Ren's bandana become Ryo/Akira bandhead.

Last edited:
I really don't agree that killing Ren is a bad idea. I love Ren, one of my favorite characters but i don't think that this is a bad idea for the plot.

In my opinion is a good idea because this way Ryo will probably understand the last words of his father, some people only learn lessons in life in the hard way so maybe for Ryo will be this way.

Ryo will mature a lot in my opinion not only as a martial artist but as a character as well and maybe this will be in the hard way.

I imagine Ren dying maybe saving Ryo and then Ryo remember his father's words about friends and Xiuying's words about how revenge is a path of evil, then probably at this moment Ryo will feel a lot of pain and will finaly understand and mature about this things.

If this happen it will be really sad and emotional, depending on how it's done maybe it will be one of the most impactful and emotional scenes of the series.

Iwao: Keep friends, those you love, close to you..
Xiuying: You still don't understand. Martial arts are used to protect people's lives. If you use your fists otherwise, you will walk on the path of evil, too!

Ryo still don't understand the full meaning of what Iwao said, Ryo still don't understand the full meaning of Xiuying's words about revenge, Ryo didn't fully learn this lessons in my opinion, probably something will happen that will change Ryo's mind and he will even forget about revenge. Ryo will learn in the easy way or the hard way? i don't know, If Ren die it will probably have a deep meaning for the plot, something really impactful.

Right now in the story Ryo only want revenge, this is his focus right now, his focus right now is not on friendship and love, nothing like that, Ryo focus right now is only about revenge and this can destroy him, i think that something will happen for Ryo to finally understand what Iwao said and what Xiuying said, maybe it will be in the hard way, i don't know how this will be but this is how i feel about this.

Back