Does anyone else think 2008 would have been the perfect year for Shenmue III?

I think around that time would have been the best possible year to have Shenmue III. It just feels like it would fit in perfectly. Especially when you consider the Xbox 360 and that sound effect it had on the boot up screen (anyone remember?). It felt very nostalgic to me.

Actually I disagree - the general movement in gaming was to fast paced action games in 08. Call of Duty started its reign, GTA IV had landed.

Whereas fast forward to the last few years where there are loads of deliberate single player story games that are popular- especially from indie developers. But that has filtered into AAA again, with Red Dead 2 being very slow paced in segments as the prime example.

I think the gaming landscape in 2008 wouldn't of been as kind or understanding as 2019 to a new Shenmue game. But then again I would of loved having it 10 years ago and be talking about Shenmue 5 with people on here! :p

Oh I didn't mean in terms of the sales or audience. Just in terms of the feel. I probably have the Shenmue III Most Realistic Trailer to thank for that.

2003 would've been the best time. Released on the PS2 to capture a more widespread audience.
Agreed but wasn't there something said that the PS2 would struggle with the games engine? Or am I talking utter shite?

Agreed but wasn't there something said that the PS2 would struggle with the games engine? Or am I talking utter shite?

I've heard that statement too. But if Yu Suzuki can get Shenmue running on a stock Saturn ( a console that was known to be hard to develop for), I'm confident that he would've been able to figure out the PS2 relatively quickly.

Textures for one. God does PS2 have garish video and shitty texturing capability. Like an LCD haze but baked into the game rather than simply the display's tech. Even the best looking games on the system like Yakuza1/2 and MGS2/3 suffer from the low res regardless of component leads.

I also heard rumors that it would have been tough to get Shenmue 2 to the ps2. Not read it would have been impossible but though.

I also think that Shenmue looked better than many Ps2 games. For me the ps2 is the most overated console anyway. Not bad, but not the technical Marvel Sony said it would be.

The true value of console you can only see many years after it's demise. In that regard the Dreamcast is the king. With VGA you can play Dreamcast games on your modern Flatscreen without any Troubles. I am still impressed by the DC up to this day.

The Ps2 on the other Hand is just obsolete. Even with my Framemeister the Image does not look as good as the DC.

I've heard that statement too. But if Yu Suzuki can get Shenmue running on a stock Saturn ( a console that was known to be hard to develop for), I'm confident that he would've been able to figure out the PS2 relatively quickly.

It wasn’t actually Shenmue though, nor was it a game.

It was just a tech demo yes. But a great tech demo nontheless. This tech demo could match the best ps1 games with the visuals. Not sure if that visual Quality could have been achived with the final game, but it is still impressive for Hardware that is said to be inferior to other Systems of the same era in the 3d Department.

The question is... It would be the same "shenmue phenomenon" if Shenmue 3 were released in 2008? I think, as outsider and newbie, that the 20 years delay helped to built this. I mean, Shenmue would be the same if Shenmue 3 were released in 2003? Or 2008? Same with Half life 3. That delay makes the legend bigger, maybe bigger than deserves. I dont know, just ramble a bit.

We have to wait and see how well the 2019 Version of Shenmue 3 will turn out. To have a big legend isn't always good. Some games that took forever to be released bombed because they could not live up the Hype. Duke Nukem Forever would be a famous example for that. Or Daikatana. In a perfect world, The DC wouldn't have been axed and Shenmue 3 would get it is Release on the DC in 2001, followed by the other parts in next years.

the 2019 Version of Shenmue 3 will have to fight many Odds to have a huge Impact. In November we will know if it can prevail or not.

In some ways, I think Shenmue III in 2019 is actually the ideal scenario. Yes, it was painful to get here, and it was not our preferred way of thing happening. But there are benefits. Technology has advanced quite a bit and so we now have incredible lighting and environments that would not have been possible previously. There is now a more established market for atmospheric games with slow-burning plot progression. And Yu Suzuki is in a professional position of being able to pursue his artistic vision without a lot of the other business pressures that came from trying to create a killer app for a single console platform.

We have to wait and see how well the 2019 Version of Shenmue 3 will turn out. To have a big legend isn't always good. Some games that took forever to be released bombed because they could not live up the Hype. Duke Nukem Forever would be a famous example for that. Or Daikatana. In a perfect world, The DC wouldn't have been axed and Shenmue 3 would get it is Release on the DC in 2001, followed by the other parts in next years.

the 2019 Version of Shenmue 3 will have to fight many Odds to have a huge Impact. In November we will know if it can prevail or not.

FWIW I thought Duke Nukem Forever was a good game and was exactly what I expected out of a current gen Duke Nukem game. It wasn't a 10/10 shooter but it stayed true to the identity of the previous DN3D. Shenmue looks like it's going to stick to the same identity as well, but I'm thinking it could get judged harshly because of how long it got stuck in Development Hell.

Have to agree @darksniper DNF was not that bad. It was a solid old School shooter. But many People were sad about it due the Hype the game got thanks to the many delays. But it was still a Duke Nukem game and that was good.

I think Shenmue 3 will also stick to it's roots, which is a great for us fans but for some people that might be too boring.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my main issue with DNF is the fact that it took longer to load an area than most Spectrum games.

Actually I disagree - the general movement in gaming was to fast paced action games in 08. Call of Duty started its reign, GTA IV had landed

No offense but when I think of fast paced action games, GTAIV isn’t one of them.

Back