Does Shenmue need a reboot?

I felt for years that rebooting Shenmue was the better option, restarting it after the six year mark just felt too late.

Depends on which way you look at it though, some are more Suzuki fans, and a reboot would be better off without him, so it wouldn't go down to well with em. Plus there'd always be that lingering "what if" question (similar to if Ron Gilbert had continued the Monkey Island series)

Oh well, it's just one of those things. I've kinda lost my passion for the future of the series and have found peace of sorts just enjoying the original and three quarters of the second one.

I guess most of you won't agree with me, but I'd like a full reboot of the series made in 2D, with indie-style (or Animal Crossing-esque) graphics and no voices.

Specially if that way we could get all the missing or reworked chapters (the boat one, the Shanghai one, the train one, etc.). And of course the rest of the story in full, with no compromises. The music, dialogue, script, minigames, arcades, economy could still be there as well.

Ideally that would be a side series and could be released alongside regular Shenmue games

Reactions: red
I would like for them to release a good remaster of III addressing all the issues sometime before IV drops. After the final game release a prequel for example at the time of the visit of the emporor in Bailu. Could also work as a point and click 1st person adventure.
Then a remaster of 1+2.

It's a good idea. In my opinion Shenmue story could be much better than the way it became. Especially the story pacing.

but it also needs good story writing.
If it doesn't have that then it becomes a failure reboot.

Last edited:
If someone else develops it, sure. I'd be down for an alternate take on the series. I certainly hope Ys Net and Yu Suzuki can move on to something else. Surely YS has more to offer the world than a Shenmue 1 remake.

I just dont get how fans that praises so much first two games wants a reboot. It's like "remember does two iconic games that were the best of the best? well they arent canon anymore".

o_O

Last edited:
I don't see a reboot happening. It's not even guaranteed that we will finish the remaining chapters. Shenmue is not a series that can take unnecessary risks. All we have at this point is 2-3 more games(Lord Willin).

Have you seen this animation before? I think this kind of 2D adventure game is perfect for Shenmue.I was inspired.I decide to learn Gamemaker every weekend.I know it's going to take a long time, but it's better than just waiting.

Back