Dojo Cooking Thread

Ooh, Hami Melon! What is that and what does it look like, if I may ask? When I worked in produce, I got familiar with a bunch of different melons (Canary, Santa Claus, Galia), but never came across Hami before :)

Ooh, Hami Melon! What is that and what does it look like, if I may ask? When I worked in production, I got familiar with a bunch of different melons (Canary, Santa Claus, Galia), but never came across Hami before :)
It is a golden yellow egg-shaped melon from Asia that tastes like a crisper honeydew melon. And the best part is that it is low in calories. I found them shopping at my local Northridge Market while buying the usual. I have never had any of the melons you have listed above. If you do not mind me asking, what do they taste like?

As a side note, I had this as a snack. Cottage Cheese with grapes and cherries.

20210727_214513.jpg

Last edited:
Cherries = <3

After I wrote my post, I stumbled on a site that has a list of 20 different melons; I'll post it here :D:

Cherries = <3

After I wrote my post, I stumbled on a site that has a list of 20 different melons; I'll post it here :D:

Thank you very much for the link. I am now inspired to try out some other melons when I go grocery shopping.

P.S. I am sorry @Nathanial Essex did I say or do something to upset you?

Last edited:
A few of my homemade meals. Will post more if people are interested.

167919545_178128334138315_4129302209746861463_n_17961686173396348[1].jpg
Home Made Chicken Noodle Soup made with Medium Egg Noodles, Green Beans, Green Onions, White Onion, Homemade Chicken Stock, Shredded Chicken, and Carrots

Something I just made20210830_173814.jpg

Fries with an Italian style seasoning to the left and Homemade Parmigiana on the right. (put it ontop of mozzarella chicken!)

The bread is unfortunately premade, but I thought I'd spruce it up a bit with the homemade sauce.

Made with fresh tomatos, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, thyme , fresh minced garlic, onion powder, orégano, salt, butter, and parsley. I would have put some chopped onions in there too if I had any onions with me.

I never waste 'em ;)

What I made this past little bit and garden hauls:

1630588292695.png

This was from Monday night. All Heirloom Tomatoes.

1630588587315.png

Last Wednesday. Also heirlooms, but got a big Zucchina, some more cucumbers and some Zucchini Flowers as well.

1630588697646.png

The are the flowers, lightly dredged in milk and flour, deep-fried (for only about a minute or so, each side; it's a quick-fry). These are an Italian-summer treat, but I have to keep giving flowers away, as this is SUPER-unhealthy to eat with any sort of frequency. You finish them off with a light-dusting of salt and sugar (I'm talking LIGHT).

1630588883679.png

Steak (and Zucchini) and Shrimp Kebobs, with some Basmati rice, BBQ'd mango and the salad with cucumbers (from my garden), tomatoes (from my garden), 1/2 an avocado, the remaining mango from the stone and fire-roasted tomatillos (from my parents' garden). Basically, the same little salad I always make, but with garden stuff. It was drizzled with olive oil and lime juice, salt and pepper. The steak was striploin and it was done with salt, pepper, Montreal Steak Spice, olive oil. The Shrimp were done with olive oil, Char Siu sauce and they all went right on the grill.

1630589277484.png

From about 3 weeks ago, Pork Tenderloin Kebobs, done in Char Siu, salt, pepper, soy sauce and olive oil. More zucchini and Jasmine rice, this time, along with the melange salad again.

Probably not going to grill this weekend, but we'll see ;)

Attachments

• 1630589279270.png
    1630589279270.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
If anyone's interested... A tutorial on how to make Bacon & Cheese Tator Tots.

Also some Kitchen ASMR.

Out of curiosity, how do you make roasted potatoes, I have never tried it before.

Wash potatoes.

Preheat oven to 425F-450F.

Slice/quarter potatoes into wedges or triangles. Potatoes should all be roughly the same size.

Cover potatoes in 2tbspns olive oil or butter or both.

Add desired seasonings such as basil, salt, garlic, peprika, orégano, onion powder, etc...

Gently toss the potatoes in the seasonings and oil/butter. Make sure all potatoes are coated.

Spread potatoes out evenly on parchment paper on a baking sheet, making sure to have the skin as close to the tray as possible so it'll remain crispy.

Place potatoes in oven for 40 mins to an hour, making sure to flip potatoes twice while cooking.

When potatoes are golden, remove from oven and lightly coat in more desired seasonings.

Place back in oven for 5 mins.

Garnish with fresh herbs, or cheese, or whatever you like. I like fresh green onion, thyme and chopped bacon.

I do the same thing, save for 2 steps:

1. I indeed coat everything in (OLIVE!) oil (butter would be wonderful, but super-unhealthy, so I only use it if the recipe calls for it), but I do so once all the potatoes are in the casserole dish (which is what I use), so that the bottom of the dish has oil.

2. I do not do the second round (the 5 minutes) of roasting; I take out and serve.

Otherwise, can't go wrong with that step by step!

Back