Dreamcast repairs/mods

24Nathan

I have had terrible luck with Dreamcasts. My first DC ever failed, so I bought another used one a few years ago from eBay. It got stolen. Now I purchased another one, and right after finishing Shenmue I a few days ago, the thing won't read a single disc. So irritating. I have done a bit of research but I wanted to get some opinions...I want my DC to be alive again long term, not just short term lens fixes or whatever that YouTube has. I am also not good at soldering. Has anyone ever had any luck buying a modded Dreamcast or sending yours in to be repaired/modded somewhere? I would also like to have the mod done where it can be region free as well as play online, because I would like to try out Phantasy Star Online. Thoughts?

Depending on where you are there's a place in the UK called retromodzz. They come up on Facebook. I've seen them at a couple of shows and they stuff is good.

Otherwise get a GDEMU. Which is easier said than done as the official ones don't come put that often. Easy to install and you can shove all your games on an SD card and play away without a disc drive as it replaces it

The GD-Drive replacements are pretty much all plug and play and anyone can install these. Really, it's just a bunch of screws.
Don't know of any other way to really help with failing drives. You could get another one but modding it to last longer or something, that isn't going to happen.

Back