Dreamcast thread

RyoHazuki84

俺が益荒男
Favourite title
Shenmue
Of course other than Shenmue, there were plenty of awesome games on the Dreamcast that still excellently hold up in terms of enjoyment. Let’s take this opportunity to share our favorite Dreamcast classics besides Shenmue

Soul Calibur
Power Stone 1 and 2
Virtua Fighter 3
Fighting Vipers 2
Marvel Vs capcom 2
Virtua Tennis
Giant Gram
Berserk
Code Veronica
House of the Dead 2
Sega Rally 2
King of Fighters Dream Match 99 (technically 98)
And Godzilla Generations is a guilty pleasure of mine

Great topic again.

I was 13 when I got the dreamcast. I'm on my 3rd one now after 2 laser deaths. My current one has GDEMU and it's a bloody godsend.

Lots of super games on the console.
Soul Calibur
Code veronica
Crazy taxi
Sonic adventure
Virtua tennis
Chu chu rocket
Phantasy Star Online
Quake 3
Jet Set Radio.

The console was hurt badly by the previous decisions Sega made but by God was it a brilliant piece of kit. Sega at their finest once again, just very short lived. It shows today how special it is with an active community going to this day. People have got it back online and there's a small online community.

Amazing work

I was obsessed with Virtua Tennis when I was younger, I played it so much that I just ended up really not having to try at all when playing against friends or family. I don't know what it was about that game, but it was so easy to just switch on and play. It's hard to bring up anything unique that someone else hasn't already mentioned, but I would like to give some special attention to a game called Zombie Revenge.

It was just an arcade style, side-scrolling action game. But it had a pretty awful dub which made it special to me, I mean when one of the main characters is called Stick Breitling, you kind of get a good idea of what you're in for.

I also had Phantasy Star Online which was particularly fun when didn't have to means, or the money for internet which allowed you to play Phantasy Star...Online.

I consider myself Dreamcast's #1 fan, but that's probably not accurate by any measurement possible...

But it's been my favorite console since launch and still my number 1 platform for gaming. It came at the perfect time in my life where it was literally my best friend for years and got me through some serious shit. My cousin got one at launch and I fell in love immediately. Then Christmas of 2000 came and I got my own console and Shenmue, and it's been life changing ever since...

I have 3 consoles, 1 that's heavily modded that I use daily(the very same one I got for Christmas of 2000), one that's still sealed and has never been used, and one that's beat up for spare parts. My modded console has a new paint job, a silent fan mod, a USBGDROM, replacement clock battery, a 3d printed tray for said USBGDROM, connected online via Dreampi, and a broken LED because I tried to change it to purple and failed lmfao...

I still play as often as possible and have made quite a few good friends via the online community. I'm working on a homebrew game with said friends hopefully for release this year. I'm already brainwashing my newborn baby to love the Dreamcast by buying her Dreamcast clothes and letting her play with the controllers. I wear Dreamcast clothes in public proudly displaying my love for the console. I fucking love Dreamcast!

20170505_181116.jpg20170505_181140.jpg20180804_161401.jpgFB_IMG_1531263306042.jpgIMG_2719.JPGIMG_8873.jpg

It's my favorite console too, still planning to get that cib pal collection one of these days, though I'm stuck at 70% completion for now.

It's my favorite console too, still planning to get that cib pal collection one of these days, though I'm stuck at 70% completion for now.
I'm lucky enough to not have that burden, I only really collect Shenmue stuff lol. I actually sold my entire GDROM library once I bought my USBGDROM, it was a nice relief...

I think I'm the only person in the world who enjoyed sonic shuffle. Well I hate it now but back then even though it required a huge amount of patience I still found some enjoyment in it.

I think I'm the only person in the world who enjoyed sonic shuffle. Well I hate it now but back then even though it required a huge amount of patience I still found some enjoyment in it.
I was REALLY disappointed by that game honestly. It's a shame because I didn't care that it was a blatant rip-off, I just hated how slow it was and more importantly how boring the actual mini games are. It felt very rushed all around... didn't come off like a 1st party game at all...

I like the idea behind Sonic Shuffle, it had some interesting gameplay mechanics. Using cards helped negate that infuriating random element to Mario Party games, so at least theoretically the most skilled play should win a Sonic Shuffle board. With that said the execution was still a bit lacking, more playable characters and some better AI would've helped immensely.

Virtual Tennis
Virtual Striker 2
Sega Bass Fishing
Soul Calibur
Super Runabout
Soul Calibur
San Francisco Rush 2046
Code Veronica
House of the dead 2
Jet Set Radio
Power stone 2
Crazy Taxi
Daytona USA
Nomad Soul
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
More I'm sure I forgot

I also enjoy plenty of the indie titles that have been created since the Dreamcast demise and still continue to be made like some of the beats of rage titles etc. I always check out the Dreamcast junkyard website for new indie titles and general interesting articles, it's a great site so check it out if you haven't already done so!

Wow, ten replies deep into a Dreamcast discussion and no mention of Skies of Arcadia?
I still have yet to finish it myself, but it easily strikes me as one of the best on the system. Honestly one of the few that I truly value the system for (I think the console's worth tends to get blown out of proportion by "niche" gamers, personally).

Talking about skies of Arcadia, I've technically never finished the game. I've beaten the last boss but my disc was scratched and would always freeze just after that fight. So despite finishing everything that has to be done in the game I still don't know what happens at the end.

The Dreamcast is one of my favorite consoles of all time

my favorite games besides Shenmue are

Resident Evil Code Veronica (the Dreamcast still has the best Version of Code Veronica imo. The X Version for the ps2 is much worse)
Dead or Alive 2
Soul Calibur
Sword of Berserk: Guts Revenge
Crazy Taxi
Blue Stinger
Carrier
Marvel vs Capcom 2

Talking about skies of Arcadia, I've technically never finished the game. I've beaten the last boss but my disc was scratched and would always freeze just after that fight. So despite finishing everything that has to be done in the game I still don't know what happens at the end.
I did beat Skies twice and it is an awesome game, but I prefer Grandia 2 by a large margin...

I gotta mention a console exclusive to this day no one mentions: Illbleed. It was such a quirky survival horror and hilarious to boot. Its camera mechanic predates the one popularized by the Fatal Frame series.

I gotta mention a console exclusive to this day no one mentions: Illbleed. It was such a quirky survival horror and hilarious to boot. Its camera mechanic predates the one popularized by the Fatal Frame series.
Yeah I forgot about that one! I barely know anyone at all IRL that owned a Dreamcast, I can only think of 2 including myself. So there's plenty of games easily forgotten for me. I still have my DC and tons of burned discs, many games I never played. I really should hook it up and get away from my PS4 for a bit. A play of what's shenmue may be in order as I never played it and ideal before the re releases.

Shenmue I
Shenmue II
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
SEGA Swirl
Crazy Taxi
SEGA Rally 2
SEGA GT
Seaman
18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker
ChuChu Rocket
Grandia II
Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
Virtua Fighter 3TB
Virtual On Oratorio Tangram
The Typing Of The Dead
Daytona USA
Jet Grind Radio
Skies Of Arcadia

Good memories with this console, even if all of mine have been fail happy.

Last edited:
Back