Dreamcast thread

@Truck_1_0_1_ Yes there are still some nice racers o the DC I have to check out. MSR Racer, F 355 from Yu-san himself, and the Toyko Xtreme Games. V-Rally 2 is also a nice. I have tha game already in my collection.

I also need to check out the f1 manaco grand prix game you recommend in another thread already.

And thanks cannot wait to play it. Checked out the first level already on the ps5 and i really like so far. Cannot wait to play on original hardware.

@Tsukuyomimagi99 Yes the Dreamcast is still something special up to this day. And it's demise is really a sad story. Sega did nothing wrong and they still did not make it. Well the marketing slogan never understand the power of Playstation (hype) from Sony was true after all.

The hype machine was too strong back then I fell for it too unfortunately. In the first years the ps2 was just a over hyped and in Austria and also in Germany a overpriced piece of Hardware.

In the end it would technically overshadow the DC but the DC could have put up quite a fight for the first couple of years if Sega did not pull the plug so fast. I understand why they had to do it thought. They ran out of money.

As good Sega was with the Dreamcast the could not escape their "sins" of the past. Thanks to the former missteps people did not trust Sega anymore and in the end that hurt Sega more than the PS2 hype. Mega CD, 32x and to certain extent the Saturn literally killed the good will Sega had with the fanbase in west. if you the consumers do not rust a company anymore even a very well put together console cannot change anything.

Not F1 Monaco!!!! TERRIBLE game! lol

F1 World Grand prix II is the game ;)

Anyone else fascinated by cancelled Dreamcast projects? Agartha was one I thought looked super interesting.

I wrote this back in 2013 (or was it 2012?). Love delving into the, "what ifs?" sometimes...

Anyone else fascinated by cancelled Dreamcast projects? Agartha was one I thought looked super interesting.

Though the Dreamcast was sort of doomed given external (and internal) circumstances, I just wish it had one more year of life. Some great projects were planned for 2002-3ish, and just a little more time would've made its library all the more exciting.

GTA III, Agatha, all those ports like Toejam and Earl III, VF4, Gunvalkyrie... too many to count, and too easy to wax nostalgic...

@Truck_1_0_1_ Ok I see. :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the correction. I had almost purchased the wrong game.

@Revan Agetha was an interesting title for sure. I have been interested in it since I have read about it in the gaming mags I was reading back then. Did not know that there is footage about that game available. It looks really good. The game had lots of potential. Too bad it was never released thanks to the premature retirement of the DC.

Another game I really wanted to see on the DC was Geist Force.

Another game with lots of potential If you ask me. The graphics looks quite nice and the most important thing is that the gameplay looks really fun.

Love the shit out of the console, my favorite game system of all time. Where do I start? So many games I loved on the system, not just Shenmue.

Fighting games

Virtua Fighter 3
King of Fighters 2002
Capcom vs SNK 2 : Millionaire Fighting 2001
Beats of Rage

Racing Games

F355 Challenge
Crazy Taxi

Shoot em ups

Ikaruga
Under Defeat
Rez

Rpgs

Skies of Arcadia
Phantasy Star Online

And then there's the games which don't fit into any other category like Jet Set Radio.

So, so, so many games I love on this system. I wish it would have succeeded, if Okawa-san hadn't died and Sega had more financial leeway, maybe they could have found their niche to survive in the market, but it wasn't meant to be.

Still I'm grateful for what Sega gave us with the DC. It shaped me as a gamer and maybe even a little bit as a person more than any other console before or after.

Some pc ports like Half Life, System Shock 2, Black and White, Rune, Heavy Metal Fakk 2 were also planned but never released.

Half Life was even finished but never has been sold. The DC has so many games in store that never saw the light of the day.

Agartha, Half Life, Propeller Arena, Max Payne and Shenmue 3 were my biggest let downs for Dreamcast :'(

cool didn't know that Max Payne was planned for the DC as well. Would have played it there as well. Thanks for the info Revan.

ps Missed another one to mention befor Castlevania Resurrection . Another game worth mentioning. Have not seen any moved footage of it but the screeshots looked promsing.

I have Propeller Arena, in a snazzy, proper-pressed disc and official art and everything, btw ;)

Should play it again soon; one of the online-esque games, outside of RTSs, that I was actually good at.

Last edited:
At some point I'll have to get a MODE and check out a bunch of games I never got to play. About the time Dreamcast came out, Gamestop was selling Genesis games for cheap and "buy 2 get 1 free", so I loaded up on Genesis games at that time. But when Dreamcast was killed off, I didn't get the same opportunity to buy up cheap DC games like I did with the Genesis cause I was off to college and didn't bring my DC with me. I think I remember being dumb and actually trading in games at that point, too :crying: . Though offhand I probably still had a solid collection of around 30 games or so (and fine, yeah I did have some cd-r games as well, haha)

Sega of this era was kind of like a AAA company with Indie sensibilities, if that makes sense. A bit of an IDGAF attitude where they could bust out some experimental games (Rez, Seaman, JSR), and then have no problem making a solid, more traditional game (Skies of Arcadia).

Offhand, here's my top 10 in no order:

Shenmue II
Skies of Arcadia
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Jet Set Radio
Phantasy Star Online
NFL2K1
Hydro Thunder
Grandia II
Soul Calibur
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

Maybe Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 could be in there as well.

There are a few games that I've wanted to check out that I'm just remembering, like D2, Legacy of Kain, the racing library, the fighting library. I also remember playing a game "Record of Lodoss War", that was kind of a pretty fun Diablo-ish type thing.

And did anyone else's parents always call it "Dreamscape?"

As we were speaking of cancelled Games for the dreamcast some footage about the cancelled Castlevania game just emerged

Looks really promising if you ask me. Too bad Konami was more loyal to Sony than to Sega so they cancelled it. (n) :mad:

That fabled Dreamcast version of GTA 3 would have been mighty interesting to see if only the console lasted a little longer.

It would have been interesting to see what else got ported. Would Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 have ran as well on the Dreamcast had it survived a bit longer? I would have to imagine with a few optimizations, it could have ran that game.

Would they have eventually pulled a 6 button Mega Drive pad type move and released a revision of the controller that added a 2nd analog stick had it survived a bit longer? What about that Zip Drive that was in Development? Or the DVD Dreamcast player?

As for the Dreamcast, I will never not love that console. I remember getting it late 2000 as it was the first console I ever purchased for myself with money from a part time job. That January of 2001 was the school holidays of me being a shut in and switching back and forward between Shenmue on the Dreamcast and Final Fantasy VIII on my PSone (I was late to the party) and absolutely loving both experiences for different reasons.

Even after they inevitably announced they were discontinuing it, it remained hooked into my TV for years to come and would get heavy rotation with the PS2 (once I got it)...I would always find myself going back to the Dreamcast for THPS2, Jet Set Radio, Virtua Tennis, Shenmue, Soul Calibur or Crazy Taxi among others.

Even when the GD Rom drive inevitably burnt out, I switched over to a GD Emu just to keep my Dreamcast because I couldn't bare losing it. I absolutely love that little machine. It's one of SEGA's best and still gets used to this day.

Top Ten Dreamcast Games?

1.) Shenmue II
2.) Shenmue
3.) Soul Calibur
4.) Jet Set Radio
5.) Skies of Arcadia
6.) Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 // my first exposure to Tony Hawk and the game that made me an instant fan of that series
7.) Space Channel 5
8.) Crazy Taxi
9.) Quake III // with a keyboard and mouse, this port ruled!
10.) Typing of the Dead

Top Ten Dreamcast Games?

1.) Shenmue II
2.) Shenmue
3.) Soul Calibur
4.) Jet Set Radio
5.) Skies of Arcadia
6.) Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 // my first exposure to Tony Hawk and the game that made me an instant fan of that series
7.) Space Channel 5
8.) Crazy Taxi
9.) Quake III // with a keyboard and mouse, this port ruled!
10.) Typing of the Dead

Hmm... that's tricky for me. If I were to rank them:

Top 10:

10. MSR: Would be the best racer if there was a bit more variety; yes it has over 200+ tracks, but they are all just variations of the same 3 locations.
9. Headhunter: Better than the PS2 port, a solid AF game.
8. Fur Fighters: Barely any flaws in this LARGE and super well-made title, it was a fantastic
7. TXR2: I know, there is even LESS track than MSR, but there is much more in the game proper, tons more to do and see and the racing is on point, super sim-like.
6. MDK2: This game never gets its due and it is a phenomenal title. So good. I only haven't gone back to replay it, because I suck at the 4th level and don't want to go through that again lol, otherwise I would go back to this game time and time again.
5. NFL 2K2: Tempted to leave sports titles off, but this is the BEST-PLAYING NFL game ever and it continued for the next 4-5 seasons, until the license went to EA. Simple, but complex at times, all licensed players and teams, player cards, tons of extras, this is an incredible sports game, the best on the console.
4. 'mue: Nothing needs to be said :)
3. SoA: Arguably the best JRPG ever, hate looking at the Gfaqs reviews where people don't grasp the concept of homage...
2. Calibur: IMO, it took around a decade for a better console fighter to be made. Just phenomenal.
1. 'mue II: nothing needs to be said :D

For my favourite 10, that's a list for another day lol

My Top Ten Dreamcast Games

I. Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka - In the Shenmue fandom, I am in the minority, but I prefer the first game just slightly over the second one. The main reason being that the first game told the entirety of its story if Suzuki's chapter outline is to be believed. Also, I feel the game has slightly more detail and 'realism' than the second game. For example, you don't have the convenience of skipping to a story beat on the fly. Or how it takes in-game weeks to master your martial arts skills. And finally, I love the seventy-man battle.

II. Shenmue II - While I prefer the first game slightly more, the second game is still an absolute masterpiece in my eyes. While more streamlined than the first game, it felt like a genuine adventure with exciting highs and lows. Yet ironically, my favorite parts in the game are your walk with Shenhua through the Guiling mountains, when your catching leaves, practicing Tai Chi Chuan, or watching the falcon soaring majestically over the mountains. And it all caps off with a truly awe-inspiring ending. I hope there is more magical realism in the story because it makes Shenmue even more special.

III. Skies of Arcadia - Simply put, I enjoyed the simple whimsical adventure. The awesome ship battles and the simple joy of discovery of new islands. In other words, this game made me feel like a kid again. Granted, the monster encounter rate was ridiculously high, but that's a minor nitpick overall.

IV. Sonic Adventure II - Between the two games, I prefer the second one more for its serious narrative. While the gameplay is more streamlined, it also makes it more focused. Also, the gameplay is improved in many ways over the first title giving more depth. My only complaint would be that the gameplay can be redundant and it lacks the enhancements of its ports, but overall, it's a wonderful title with an excellent story and gameplay that proves Sonic can work in 3D.

V. Sonic Adventure - While I don't enjoy it as much as the second game, it's still a solid title that is very character-focused. While the second game is more focused, the first adventure is more vast and intricate with a strong emphasis on exploration. It's like comparing Sonic the Hedgehog 2 with Sonic CD. I enjoyed the overall narrative as Tikal is one of my favorite characters in the Sonic series and the final battle with Chaos is truly memorable. My only complaint is of course about Big the Cat, but otherwise, it was a wonderful first outing for the 3D blue blur.

VI. Power Stone - Before Smash Bros., this was the crazy over-the-top arena fighting game. It was simply just fun for the sake of being fun.

VII. Biohazard Code Veronica - A solid title in the Biohazard series that tends to get overlooked in comparison to its more mainline counterparts. It's just as competent as Biohazard 2 or 3 and feels like a mix between the two.

VIII. Virtual-on Oratario Tangram - The primordial mecha-based fighting game that inspired the likes of Gundam Extreme Versus. The gameplay mechanics are deep and intricate and still holds up well today.

IX. Virtua Fighter 3TB- It's Virtua Fighter, needs I say more? Or how it's a perfect arcade port to the Dreamcast?

X. Fighting Vipers - Virtua Fighters 'black sheep' if you will. If Virtua Fighter was the serious hardworking older brother, then Fighting Vipers was its more casual laid-back younger brother. Pepsi-Man is all I'll say.

Bonuses

XI. Crazy Taxi - Who knew that an arcade-style taxi game would be just so much fun?

XII. NFL Blitz - I am not into football at all, but this series is just so wild and over the top that it's legitimately fun.

Last edited:
The unreleased game for the Dreamcast that most gets me down is Thunder Force VI. Sadly, TechnoSoft pretty much closed up shop around the time the Dreamcast stopped production. Would have been nice to see what an actual TechnoSoft Thunder Force VI would have looked like on the Dreamcast.

Top 10 is a real toughy. Probably would have been a little different back in the mid 2000s, but I’ll go with:

1 - Shenmue II
2 - Napple Tale
3 - Phantasy Star Online ver. 2
4 - Space Channel 5 pt 2
5 - Illbleed
6 - Resident Evil Code: Veronica (Kanzenban/X)
7 - Shenmue
8 - Jet Set Radio
9 - Elemental Gimmick Gear
10 - Sakura Taisen 3

So many games left out, though: Ao no 6-go, Chu Chu Rocket, Crazy Taxi, DoA2, Dynamite Deka 2, Fighting Vipers 2, Gundam: Federation vs Zeon, Last Blade 2, Power Stone, Rayman 2, Rez, Samba de Amigo, SF Rush 2049, Space Channel 5, SFIII Third Strike, Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram, Zero Gunner 2.
It’s probably something like picking favorite children.

X. Fighting Vipers - Virtua Fighters 'black sheep' if you will. If Virtua Fighter was the serious hardworking older brother, then Fighting Vipers was its more casual laid-back younger brother. Pepsi-Man is all I'll say.

Bonuses

Fighting Vipers never came out for the DC... but FV2 did! Don't believe Pepsiman is in 2...

Stop making so many good posts that I feel the need to reply to you retards. Now my post is gonna be 3 ancient scrolls long.

Sega of this era was kind of like a AAA company with Indie sensibilities, if that makes sense. A bit of an IDGAF attitude where they could bust out some experimental games (Rez, Seaman, JSR), and then have no problem making a solid, more traditional game (Skies of Arcadia).
100%. There was one dev from Sega that literally said as much in a documentary about the Dreamcast (forgot the name of it).

Platformer
Totally legit classification... but my headcanon, much like NiGHTS, is that it's actually a score attack racing game.

Max Payne was also very nearly a Dreamcast game.

Damn, I never knew about this one. Those grafx look superb too.

Would they have eventually pulled a 6 button Mega Drive pad type move and released a revision of the controller that added a 2nd analog stick had it survived a bit longer?
God yes, I always wanted to see both these things.

Better than the PS2 port
Isn't that always the case? 😎 PREACH on SoA btw. Gonna have to go back and give Fur Fighters and MDK2 another shot.

My Top Ten Dreamcast Games

I. Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka - In the Shenmue fandom, I am in the minority, but I prefer the first game just slightly over the second one. The main reason being that the first game told the entirety of its story if Suzuki's chapter outline is to be believed. Also, I feel the game has slightly more detail and 'realism' than the second game. For example, you don't have the convenience of skipping to a story beat on the fly. Or how it takes in-game weeks to master your martial arts skills. And finally, I love the seventy-man battle.
Right there with you m8. I understand it wouldn't have been feasible in terms of dev time or economics to keep making games like this, but to me, Shenmue 1 is Shenmue in its purest essence. And as far as RE CV, I feel it's legacy would be regarded in a whole different reality if it was simply called RE3 like it should've been.

The unreleased game for the Dreamcast that most gets me down is Thunder Force VI. Sadly, TechnoSoft pretty much closed up shop around the time the Dreamcast stopped production. Would have been nice to see what an actual TechnoSoft Thunder Force VI would have looked like on the Dreamcast.
God, that IS sad. I was surprisingly okay with the lack of TFVI on Dreamcast until I read this post, so thanks for that I guess. 😒

EXQUISITE taste btw. Not like everyone here doesn't already have exquisite taste, but you know, yours just happened to line up with mine just that little bit more. I finally played through Napple Tale recently, and my GOD what a gem that is. A little disappointing it didn't run at 60fps given the lower graphical fidelity (relatively speaking), but still a very visually pleasing game overall and I was constantly in awe by the amount of content and effort they managed to cram into it. Huge levels, tons of variety, lots of creative and clever platforming situations, etc etc. I really think this would've a hit in the west and very fondly remembered if they would've localized it back in the day. Also reminded that I still need to play EGG.

Back