[E3 2019 Speculation, Rumour, & Discussion Thread]

Spaghetti

Site Staff
Hello everybody.

It's now officially two weeks until E3 begins. There are of course press conferences and other stuff happening off-site in the days before this, but the meat and potatoes of the industry event will start from the 11th of June.

How is this important to Shenmue III? Well unless you've been living under a rock, you'd know a few smaller games media people let slip that Deep Silver were taking bookings for a hands-on demo for the game. Later details emerged that elaborated on this - that the demo will be half an hour long, and that sessions were fully booked as far back as a week or more ago. We'll have a lot of impressions to hear about the game very shortly.

So what else is planned for Shenmue III @ E3 2019? We don't know. We only knew the game would be there in the first place thanks to loose tongues in parts of the press. Whatever else Deep Silver has planned to promote the game is still under wraps... for the moment. With the game getting rated in Australia just yesterday, the Gamestop/EB Games pre-order promotion, and leaked details of a Collector's Edition; it feels like we're in the calm before the storm.

Hopefully the next few weeks are very, very rewarding to all of us who've waited to get a good look at Shenmue III.

In order to keep the OP as an easy resource for breaking news and interesting rumours, I'll be keeping it updated periodically with the headlines, like so:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

27th May 2019 - Shenmue III is rated in Australia.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13th May 2019 - Gamestop/EB Games presents a pre-order bonus incentive for Shenmue III.

30th April 2019 - Deep Silver are currently taking press bookings for a hands-on demo of Shenmue III.

What I expect:
An E3 story trailer, impressions and maybe filmed video of the 30 minute session from the press and new screenshots.

What I hope for:
A lenghty (2 to 3 minutes) E3 trailer, a direct feed walkthrough of the 30 minute session for the press, new screenshots, new boxart and a release date for the backer demo, a collector edition announced.

What I'd be fine with:
Impressions from the press, new screenshots.

But E3 is now or never to market the game. It'll be 2 months before release, I think it's time to finally see the game for real. After that, it'll be too late.

So - an additional detail I left out was that press wouldn't be able to record their gameplay session, which is actually pretty normal but I didn't want the thread to start freaking out this early.

To me, that says Deep Silver plan to have control over the gameplay reveal, as opposed to video capture from some Gamefarts dot com journo running around in circles colouring impressions of the game. There are lots of ways this could happen, so I won't try and predict what the likely outcome is. Would be neat if the game showed up somewhere like the YouTube Gaming livestream, though.

I don't have any insider info so be taking it that way, but I just have a negative feeling about E3. Yes, journalists will be getting hands on previews and that would mean also that Yu Suzuki will be in LA for the event. I'm sure that will also lead to some very insightful articles on the game.

But in terms of new public footage, I just feel a bit pessimistic and feel there wont be anything new shown. I hope I am wrong by the way! So much. But I cant help how I feel.

I don't have any insider info so be taking it that way, but I just have a negative feeling about E3. Yes, journalists will be getting hands on previews and that would mean also that Yu Suzuki will be in LA for the event. I'm sure that will also lead to some very insightful articles on the game.

But in terms of new public footage, I just feel a bit pessimistic and feel there wont be anything new shown. I hope I am wrong by the way! So much. But I cant help how I feel.
Do you think that makes sense though?

I won't discount the possibly because truly anything could happen, but I would really struggle to understand if there wasn't anything for public consumption coming out of this. It feels so far against unwritten procedure for E3, let alone common sense.

Do you think that makes sense though?

I won't discount the possibly because truly anything could happen, but I would really struggle to understand if there wasn't anything for public consumption coming out of this. It feels so far against unwritten procedure for E3, let alone common sense.

Nope. It doesn't make sense at all. Not one bit. But that's where my head is at, due to the random nature of this promotional campaign so far. I apologise too, since normally I am banging the hype drum at any given opportunity. Since nothing ever comes from me doing that, perhaps its a good sign then, and stuff will be shown.

I understand Peter's trepidation. We've been drip fed information for a long time. The game releases in three months and we haven't seen much gameplay outside of the MAGIC stuff, which looked like it may have been an earlier build.

I want to believe this is it and all the secrecy will be unveiled to show a fully polished product, akin to how Bloodstained revealed itself to be earlier this month.

But that's just it. It has to be now. Time is up and patience is hanging by a thread. This is their BEST chance to capitalize and assuage all fears. If they show the same footage, the same demo from MAGIC, a lot of fears of an impending Kickstarter disaster will begin to look very real.

That's pretty much it. I am not meaning to sound negative for negative sakes. I am just at a stage now where I am looking at what is in front of me, and setting my expectations based on that. From a promotional standpoint, the whole Baisha issue (or lack thereof!), the inconsistency in messages and game footage.....

I just wait to be pleasantly surprised when something comes up. But I disagree with this whole "E3 is our last hope attitude". There is still half of June, all of July, and 3/4 of August to go. 11 weeks. This whole notion of now or never I don't believe.

Iโ€™m going to choose to be optimistic. The pieces are aligning similar to E3 2015 and my intuition turned out to be prophetic, even though some here claimed I had apophenia. I feel weโ€™re going to be quite surprised once again...

Nope. It doesn't make sense at all. Not one bit. But that's where my head is at, due to the random nature of this promotional campaign so far. I apologise too, since normally I am banging the hype drum at any given opportunity. Since nothing ever comes from me doing that, perhaps its a good sign then, and stuff will be shown.
I suppose the lack of a really obvious venue is casting a lot of doubt on things, because I feel that way a little bit too. If Sony were doing an E3 press conference as usual - then there would be no question and I imagine hype would be through the roof here.

For now I think we need to sit tight. Things may be revealed very quickly that flips the situation on its head.

Speaking of which; there are UNVERIFIED rumours of a State of Play happening on May 30th coming out of a small Spanish games site.

For now I think we need to sit tight. Things may be revealed very quickly that flips the situation on its head.

For real, that's all I am doing. I am not moaning, or sharpening a pitchfork. I am just pretty chilled at this point. If it shows, it shows. If it doesn't then that's fine. At least journalists are going to have a hands on and we should expect various articles from that, which will have their own reach across the globe to influence sales.

I mean they would have to be 100% silly/highly incompetent if they don't show a ton of content during E3. It's gaming's biggest event and all eyes of the media and public are watching. Its almost like free publicity.

There aren't many big hitters coming out this year, so Deep Silver need to take full advantage of that. We got 3 months left, time to ramp things up to the max.

Personally, i think they will. We keep seeing Shenmue 3 appear on various sites (collectors edition, rating, etc). It's leading to something big. If they don't show anything, then they are very incompetent and questions about their marketing strategy & their marketing team need to be asked and/or replaced.

But again, im sure they will. Everyone is silent on Shenmue 3. Ysnet, Deep Silver, Sony, Shibuya etc. Its leading up to something. A coordinated marketing explosion of content between all of these companies would do wonders for the game.

As i said in another thread, there has been little to no money spent on marketing Shenmue 3. And with 3 months left, they must have a ton money stacked up to continuously push and market the game until it releases in August.

Its coming. Brace yourselves and get ready to jump aboard the hype train.

I mean they would have to be 100% silly/highly incompetent if they don't show a ton of content during E3. It's gaming's biggest event and all eyes of the media and public are watching. Its almost like free publicity.

There aren't many big hitters coming out this year, so Deep Silver need to take full advantage of that. We got 3 months left, time to ramp things up to the max.

Personally, i think they will. We keep seeing Shenmue 3 appear on various sites (collectors edition, rating, etc). It's leading to something big. If they don't show anything, then they are very incompetent and questions about their marketing strategy & their marketing team need to be asked and/or replaced.

But again, im sure they will. Everyone is silent on Shenmue 3. Ysnet, Deep Silver, Sony, Shibuya etc. Its leading up to something. A coordinated marketing explosion of content between all of these companies would do wonders for the game.

As i said in another thread, there has been little to no money spent on marketing Shenmue 3. And with 3 months left, they must have a ton money stacked up to continuously push and market the game until it releases in August.

Its coming. Brace yourselves and get ready to jump aboard that hype train.

There's all sorts of rumours about a State of Play coming. The Independent reported a rumour of June 3rd. I've seen 30th May brought up too but with Death Stranding having what looks to be a trailer tomorrow I wonder if they will hold off this week ready for a potential June date, if in fact a State of Play does happen.

Anyway E3 stuff:

What I want: Demo releases to the world and a new 3 min trailer with gameplay hits us square in the face.

What I think will happen: Press previews will emerge with a similiar vibe to Monaco I think. New screens.

What I expect: Nothing! Expectation is a dangerous thing so while I'm getting excited for E3 it's within a realm of limited expectation.

I always bring this up but being able to have the discussion about what might be shown at E3/in the lead up to release is amazing. This time 4 years ago we didn't have that and now we do. :)

Back