EDGE Magazine Cover Story: Shenmue 3

Can't believe no details have leaked out, hahah.

Typical potentially massive news comes when I'm out for most of the day.

Holy shit this is HUGE. I never thought a mainstream magazine would give their cover story to this game. This will dramatically increase word of mouth, and it is a great kickoff to mass marketing.

But it could come at a cost, if the coverage is negative or skeptical it could really damage the IP and emboldens the haters to say "told you" and they'll never shut up and we will never hear the end of it.

I'm hopeful the coverage is hopeful though.

Considering the issue releases after MAGIC, do you think EDGE could update Ryo's charadesign before the printing? Usually, magazines have to agree with the brand owner before showcasing art from a game, especially when it relates to the cover so it's a bit surprising to see an old model from Gamescom 2017.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I get the Edge as a collectors item. I do not think it will have some groundbreaking news, but if the screenshots are nice it is worth buying for sure.
Same here I think.

It's a slightly awkward time for me. My effort to reduce the amount of "stuff" I own has directly coincided with the release of loads of new Shenmue III merchandise and collectables.

t2tpDpk.png

I think it comes down to not only wanting to support the series but also a fear of missing out, I enjoyed collecting Shenmue stuff and for years there was something of a "drought" when memorabilia was so scarce that even the lowest quality items commanded a high price tag.

wqoMGuC.png

BTW, are we sure this is real? Have Edge officially announced this? Is it a photoshop?

Someone on Resetera says they have it.

BTW, are we sure this is real? Have Edge officially announced this? Is it a photoshop?
Subscribers have confirmed it. They've got the issue right now, general release is on the 28th.

Considering the issue releases after MAGIC, do you think EDGE could update Ryo's charadesign before the printing? Usually, magazines have to agree with the brand owner before showcasing art from a game, especially when it relates to the cover so it's a bit surprising to see an old model from Gamescom 2017.
The issue comes out on the 28th, before MAGIC. I agree it's weird that they've been given an old art asset, but whatever. People... like it? It's very confusing considering people shat on the Gamescom '17 graphics, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

It is weird. But I imagine it’ll have new information and little negative spin. It’s a world exclusive.

I guess this is the start of the blitz! Get ready.

I like the front cover... It is weird, because the Gamescom '17 model did look very goofy, but within the context of that cover art, with the font and overall design, I actually like it... Weird.

I've just read the article, and it spoils a lot about the games details, from mechanics, fighting, inventory, gameplay, storypoints, character names etc.

Read at your own risk if you want to go into this game blind. I mean that.

Does it have new screenshots?

BTW re:cover art. YSnet/Deep Silver/THQ Nordic/Shibuya Productions could have supplied EDGE will several assets, including newer ones we havent seen before and EDGE just chose that one to go with for the cover because they liked it the most. It doesnt really mean they were only given old stuff.

Last edited:
So, uhh... anyone got scans of the article?

Older magazine scans are fair game since they can't be bought anymore, but a magazine that's available (or soon to be) is not fair game. It's piracy. At least i assume so. I dont know the law exactly when it comes to this stuff, but scans of the article and giving them out here for free when the magazine isnt available to buy yet at retail doesn't sit right at all.

Back