EDGE Magazine Cover Story: Shenmue 3

I've just read the article, and it spoils a lot about the games details, from mechanics, fighting, inventory, gameplay, storypoints, character names etc.

Read at your own risk if you want to go into this game blind. I mean that.

It doesn't sound so different from what we've got in magazines before Shenmue 2 release at the time.

This reminds me so much of being a kid, and running to the news agents before school one morning to pick up an issue of games master just to read an article about Shenmue. I think I almost tripped up on my way through the door. It's nice to be feeling all of this nostalgia coming back. I may have to pick up my first magazine in forever.

Was it a hands-on? And did they like it?

It seems to be hands on. There is only 1 new image, which is the one from Amazon that was posted yesterday.

But its the text itself that, to me, is major spoilery. From names of characters, what you have to do, where you have to go, fights, situations, controls, mechanics, inventory....

This is the start of it. I wish i hadn't read it to be honest.

Older magazine scans are fair game since they can't be bought anymore, but a magazine that's available (or soon to be) is not fair game. It's piracy. At least i assume so. I dont know the law exactly when it comes to this stuff, but scans of the article and giving them out here for free when the magazine isnt available to buy yet at retail doesn't sit right at all.
Aside from all the other times magazine scans for new magazines have not only been linked but embedded as images on the current and previous iteration of the Dojo, right?

To be fair, I bought and read every single magazine with Shenmue related information before the original game's release. I don't feel it ever spoiled too much for me. I loved reading all the bits of information and wondering how it fit within the wider game's context.

Is it any more spoilery than say, a Shenmue II preview that mentions that you'll go to Wan Chai then Kowloon then Guilin and you'll meet a guy called Ren and a martial arts master named Xiuying?

Aside from all the other times magazine scans for new magazines have not only been linked but embedded as images on the current and previous iteration of the Dojo, right?

If images appear elsewhere once the issue is released then they can be posted. This magazine isnt even on general release yet. Right?

At least summaries of the new info can be posted, right?

If images appear elsewhere once the issue is released then they can be posted. This magazine isnt even on general release yet. Right?
Fair enough. Hopefully the scans will pop up somewhere soon.

I think gameplay details are fine with me, we were gonna know about it eventually via gameplay trailer and demo.

However, story/event details are a big no-no for me.

Curious about their general impression though, were they positive or negative?

I think I'd be up for reading it, but it depends. If it's no more spoilery than what KidMarine suggested Shenmue II previews were like, I could probably take it. I'm too curious about the mechanics not to.

I think gameplay details are fine with me, we were gonna know about it eventually via gameplay trailer and demo.

However, story/event details are a big no-no for me.

Curious about their general impression though, were they positive or negative?
Previews, especially world exclusives, are rarely negative no matter how the final game is received.

I think I'd be up for reading it, but it depends. If it's no more spoilery than what KidMarine suggested Shenmue II previews were like, I could probably take it. I'm too curious about the mechanics not to.
Curiosity killed the cat haha.

I'm going to buy it and skim read it tbh. The mechanics etc sound interesting but story stuff I'd rather not know too much about.

Nice to see the push starting! Shame it went to press with the old Ryo but I suspect more articles will run with newer models etc in the coming months.

Fair enough. Hopefully the scans will pop up somewhere soon.

I'm sure they will, and then its all good. But its like saying, oh the new Avengers movie is in the cinema now, so its fair game to record it and post it on an Avengers forum. Strong comparison i know, but the heart of the principle is still the same. Edge i am sure worked hard on the article and magazine, and is theirs to sell.

I get your argument that in the past, scans were online in a jiffy, and that was a grey area at best. But with the dormancy of Shenmue, and the more or less non-existence of this site we could fly under the radar. Now with Shenmue 3, and Shenmue in general being more publicly prominent, a lot more eyes are on the game, and our sites as a proxy. I have to be more careful about putting content online .

They wouldn’t risk an exclusive if they expected negativity.

Back