Embracer Q3 Report Presentation @ 9AM CET (3AM EST) 19-2-2020/2-19-2020

Jesus guys. How did we go from Good news to absolutely negativity? Relax...
This place is gonna be a bit negative 'til Shenmue IV is announced. I hope they don't take too much time to announce it. I really don't know if I can put myself through X+ years of anticipation again. I really don't think it's a great idea to keep Shenmue IV a secret for too long. The fans need signs of life as soon as they can get signs of life. That is, if Ys Net actually know they're making it.

Exactly. Right now the narrative is "Shenmue 3 is a flop and Shenmue is dead again." They need to defeat that narrative.

I’m not so sure. One of S3’s biggest problems was the amount of time between the announcement and the release. The hype levels were through the roof at E3 2015, but four and a half years later, the game released with a whimper.

As unconventional is it might be, I’d love it if they waited until they were ready to release and make the announcement a month or so before. It would create huge headlines (The series that was supposedly dead has risen from the grave a second time AND the game will be out in 1 month) and the release would come soon enough for people to still be talking about it.

Sure it would mean missing out on big events in the build up to launch, but the banners at E3 2019 and the half-arsed showings at TGS and Gamescom didn’t seem to do much to build up hype for S3.

I’m not so sure. One of S3’s biggest problems was the amount of time between the announcement and the release. The hype levels were through the roof at E3 2015, but four and a half years later, the game released with a whimper.

As unconventional is it might be, I’d love it if they waited until they were ready to release and make the announcement a month or so before. It would create huge headlines (The series that was supposedly dead has risen from the grave a second time AND the game will be out in 1 month) and the release would come soon enough for people to still be talking about it.

Sure it would mean missing out on big events in the build up to launch, but the banners at E3 2019 and the half-arsed showings at TGS and Gamescom didn’t seem to do much to build up hype for S3.

100% agree. Attention spans today are SO small.

I think it will be announced after Shenmue 3 will be on Steam, and for PS5. I think Shenmue 3 sold many PS4 consoles, at least in my case i bought the console for Shenmue 3, if they announce Shenmue 4 for PS5 the story can repeat again on some degree. Or Shenmue 4 for PS4 and PS5 would be another option. And PC too.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't they release the sales numbers. Beating around the bush isn't helping. I'm glad to hear that it sold fine financially but give is some solid numbers or announce Shenmue 4.

That’s just not what publishers do, unfortunately. Not unless they want to brag about a game hitting a milestone.

Is it because they sell those numbers to other companies? I heard that from another gamer. He said there are companies that buy sales data.

The business executive and community manager of Piranha Bytes (AA studio),
the german studio responsible for Gothic, Risen and Elex,
said they would never ever release their own sales numbers to the public because this information
is something private. The publisher needs the information to see if their product was a success or not
but the public shouldnt see it. A lot of times, especially in smaller companies, the budget (or lets say 50% of it) for the projects comes directly from the founders, its their own private money. They dont want people to know how much they invested
or much they gained, sold, whatever. The public doesnt need these details.

Really big AAA companies like Rockstar, EA and co can make a show of their numbers
because its a completely different business model with totally different dimensions and partners.
This can create a pretty false overall view on what should be considered a success or a fail
because a lot of times the public only learns about the final sales numbers
but the companies arent telling us how expensive the projects really were in the production and where the money came from.

Btw he mentioned that all of the capital of Koch Media comes only from a couple of people
who put their own money into the company. Some people simply dont want to share more detailed information
when their own money is involved.

Let's put it this way. What if Inafune had been allowed to use the actual Mega Man IP the way Suzuki was allowed to use Shenmue? I believe that it would have raised way more money than Shenmue III did because of how mainstream Mega Man is compared to Shenmue.

Just speaking specifically about Mega Man, in retrospect thank the maker Inafune wasn't allowed to use the IP because he would've negatively impacted the brand given the meh quality of Mighty No 9. He wouldn't have killed the franchise but for sure Capcom would've put it on the shelf for a few years and we wouldn't have gotten the incredibly superior Mega Man 11.

Wow people in the comment sections of those articles are so ignorant and bitter especially over the epic deal plus the lack of ports as ports cost time and money which would mean more delays they could not afford. Many have no clue that Yu Suzuki did approach Microsoft and they were not interested in the game being on their platform. They still think that the game flopped. The denial is unreal. I mean I did not like how 3 turned out in retrospect, but I don't have some blind hatred for it either.
Yeah I try to stay clear of the comments section on those kind of sites, too many salty people :p
SDS. (Suzuki/Shenmue Derangement Syndrome)

I believe that we are only going to get the announcement of Shenmue 4 after all the DLC'S are out and when it becomes available on Steam. As for gaming sales numbers, I believe that we may not get them. Usually, they only reveal those numbers when a game sell's at least 1 million copies.
I believe that at best, if Shenmue 3 sold 250,000 copies we are going definitely to have a sequel.

Back