Expectations for CrunchyRoll Expo?

Favourite title
Shenmue
PSN
Jrockstr
Since the CrunchyRoll Expo is rapidly approaching. I was wondering what do you think
will happen at the showcase in terms of the Shenmue anime? Will we see a trailer premiere with a release date? Will it be just images shown or just a quick announcement of the English cast? I'm gradually growing excited as the calendar inches closer hopefully it's a trailer with a release date. Trying to keep expectations in check though.

Personally I'm thinking it all aligns to a trailer an release date.

Jason Demarco has been pretty active on Twitter saying he's seen the Anime, it looks good, can't wait to show everyone and knows the release date. The stars are lining up for me, all pointing to here.

@Jibby brought this panel up as the most likely for it to crop up at: https://expo.crunchyroll.com/en-us/...=726846&panel-name=Crunchyroll-Industry-Panel

I'd agree with him, so much so I am debating streaming the panel on the Dojo channel that evening as it's 8pm on a Friday night in the UK. If it doesn't show then it's an hours stream where I will look silly but no change there!

Not totally plugged into anime news, but I think Shenmue might be the only outstanding Adult Swim/Toonami original anime that hasn't been shown in some capacity yet?

I think it'll probably be shown anyway. Hope everybody is ready to share the hell out of a trailer if it drops.

Not totally plugged into anime news, but I think Shenmue might be the only outstanding Adult Swim/Toonami original anime that hasn't been shown in some capacity yet?

I think it'll probably be shown anyway. Hope everybody is ready to share the hell out of a trailer if it drops.
Im looking forward to everyone analyzing every second of the trailer.

It's going to be a lot of fun

Im looking forward to everyone analyzing every second of the trailer.

It's going to be a lot of fun
I am somehow mostly interested in one thing regarding an early trailer:

Whether or not they keep the architecture of the town exactly like in the dreamcast.
I'd love to be able to recognize exact spots from the game in the anime. Maybe that's just me.

I am somehow mostly interested in one thing regarding an early trailer:

Whether or not they keep the architecture of the town exactly like in the dreamcast.
I'd love to be able to recognize exact spots from the game in the anime. Maybe that's just me.
I reckon it's going to be polarising.

Personally, I don't want them to be restricted to trying to emulate the games 1:1.

I'd love for the Anime to be a blank canvas where they can explore new ideas and try new things that weren't possible to do in the games.

To me, this is an awesome opportunity to innovate Shenmue as a franchise even further!

I reckon it's going to be polarising.

Personally, I don't want them to be restricted to trying to emulate the games 1:1.

I'd love for the Anime to be a blank canvas where they can explore new ideas and try new things that weren't possible to do in the games.

To me, this is an awesome opportunity to innovate Shenmue as a franchise even further!
Don't get me wrong. I don't want it to be 1:1 aswell.
I hope they bring in unused story bits for example. I wouldn't mind new areas or redesigns of some. But there are just a few places that have nostalgic value in my eyes and I'd love to watch the anime do this with a warm feeling every now then like 7qm4lqtskge21.jpg

All my nieces and nephew are into anime so Iā€™m gonna try to sell the hell out of this. The future generation, kids. Get on it.

I've said in other topics before but one of my favorite things I'm looking forward to is what kind of weather each scene has. That has been oddly fascinating to me. I would love a 1 for 1 map but also i wouldn't mind if they expanded the area out and add stuff that wasn't possible back in the day.

I'm highly intrigued by what new storybeats will be added and also what parts will be subtracted from the game. Like will we get a scene of Ryo randomly calling Nozomi or Gui Zhang?

I would like the original cast for continuity purposes back but I'm not expecting it just as long as the voices aren't nowhere near as atrocious as the Nozomi English voice for Shenmue III then we should be fine.

The more I think about it, the more i'm wondering if 13 episodes will be enough? I've been watching a wonderful slice of life anime called 'Nichijou' and bugger all happens, but it's all so interesting that you rarely feel bored.

I'll be very interested to see how they achieve the balance of slice of life/action with this one.

I think they can easily condense the plot of Shenmue 1 into a few episodes and easily get to Shenmue 2 , which is the plann as far as I'm aware. The games are certainly epic, but the amount of plot we've experienced so far isn't anything that can't be fit into a standard TV season.

The more I think about it, the more i'm wondering if 13 episodes will be enough? I've been watching a wonderful slice of life anime called 'Nichijou' and bugger all happens, but it's all so interesting that you rarely feel bored.

I'll be very interested to see how they achieve the balance of slice of life/action with this one.
I also love watching Nichijou, probably one of my favourites to just put on when I have nothing else to watch. Iā€™m also watching an anime called Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! which is a really chill slice-of-life.

I really hope they can capture the more grounded and quiet moments of Shenmue in the anime, but Iā€™m not going to get my hopes up. I believe they are probably going to go for a ā€œmass-appealā€ strategy to try and get new fans for a fourth game, so Iā€™m gonna expect that they stick with the more intense story beats, with maybe only a small portion dedicated to the ā€˜slice-of-lifeā€™ moments, like conversations with townspeople and things like that. 13 episodes isnā€™t a lot to cover two 10-15 hour games.

Shall be watching closely tonight. On average think it's got a good chance of showing up but I think we might receive a teaser more than a fully fledged trailer.

Can't say why I feel that, but I've got the vibe that something more substantial will be kept in the back pocket for a different venue... such as The Game Awards. They've got form for unveiling animation after the ARK animated series reveal last year, and it'd be a good fit with a *lot* of eyes on it.

Back