Expectations for CrunchyRoll Expo?

Doing the Adult Swim/Crunchyroll originals now btw, so if it's gonna show up it'll hopefully be soon.

EDIT: lol

I'll keep watching until the end if they're saving it as a surprise, but otherwise doesn't seem like it's gonna show.

Last edited:
Just remember the dude from Afult Swim has acknowledged it’s still very much in production if you’re feeling pessimistic.

Think it's just a matter of time and place.

Blade Runner: Black Lotus got a spot at San Diego Comic Con for the trailer debut, and that pirate anime was announced with a trailer last year as part of a TV simulcast for Adult Swim Con. In hindsight, the Crunchyroll Expo feels a little small time if they're going to give it a similar push to their other original projects.

Oh crumbs, I forgot to watch this. Seems like I haven't missed much then.

A shame nothing was announced, but as I always find in hindsight, once something eventually arrives, it's easy to look back and poke holes at what worked and didn't work at the time. We're all pretty desperate, but as Spud says, if what was shown wasn't at the best quality it can be, it could do more harm than good.

As someone who is incredibly inpatient, Shenmue sure as hell has taught me the meaning of the word patience. Wish I could show the same patience in everyday life haha.

Covid or no Covid, I find it baffling that no only did they announce this way too early, but that it is taking them so long to finish it. They were supposedly deep in production when it was announced.

Covid or no Covid, I find it baffling that no only did they announce this way too early, but that it is taking them so long to finish it. They were supposedly deep in production when it was announced.
Possibly the worst and most confusing marketing strategy I’ve ever seen, period. It shouldn’t, I know, but their shoddy handling of the announcement fills me with whatever the opposite of confidence is. Apprehension? Dread? Whatever it is, I’m really not expecting much from them at this point.

I think everyone needs to calm down.

Maybe they did shoot their initial announcement early but we know it's still in production, apparently looks good and had a release date, some time in 2022 that we don't know about but clearly they do.

Let it cook.

This is what got us thinking about Crunchyroll Expo:

Confirming not 2021 release:

Last edited:
I think everyone needs to calm down.

Maybe they did shoot their initial announcement early but we know it's still in production, apparently looks good and had a release date, some time in 2022 that we don't know about but clearly they do.

Let it cook.
I think most people are calm, just perplexed by the timing of the announcement. It’s been almost a year and all we have to show for it is some concept art that came with the official announcement. I get that these things take time, but why announce if they were so far off from having something tangible to show. Not sure they can really blame COVID given that it was in full swing this time last year.

I think most people are calm, just perplexed by the timing of the announcement. It’s been almost a year and all we have to show for it is some concept art that came with the official announcement. I get that these things take time, but why announce if they were so far off from having something tangible to show. Not sure they can really blame COVID given that it was in full swing this time last year.
I don't think they can win whatever they do.

They might have gone early on the announcement to get that initial hype going. People keep asking about it and they do keep communicating.

Having seen the lessons of Shenmue 3 I'd rather they showed nothing until it was ready and then hammer the promotion for 6 months into the launch. I'm also of the view they should do this for any Shenmue 4 btw given previous experience

That said I was pretty convinced we'd have seen it yesterday.

i missed the event compeletly but it seems I have not missed anything at all.

The right timing of anouncing stuff is a hard aspect of the entertainment industry in general. People want to be informed all the time and thanks to the internet it easiere than ever to get info 24 hours a day. the people in the industry do not have found the right timing for their announcments and they never will. Because there are 2 camps out there. Some people hate it to get announcments to earlier and other people would like to have a teh business plan for the next 5 years.

One side of the camp will always be sad.

I personally do nit mind that we did not see anything. I did not expect a trailer so soon anyway.

So what is everyone's best guess when we will see it next? I don't know what comes next in terms of a showcase possiblity at least not for this year off the top of my head. Do we see it spring or summer next year? I don't mind the wait as we all know patience is a virtue in the Shenmue franchise. download.jpeg

Not saying anyone with a differing view is wrong, but personally I'm quite happy they announced it when they did. As long as I know SOMETHING is in the pipeline for this series, I can relax and wait a longass time. And back when they announced it, I really needed that pick-me-up.

Not saying anyone with a differing view is wrong, but personally I'm quite happy they announced it when they did. As long as I know SOMETHING is in the pipeline for this series, I can relax and wait a longass time. And back when they announced it, I really needed that pick-me-up.
Don’t get me wrong, as a fan of the series, the announcement brought me a lot of joy. As you say, knowing that the series is still alive in some form is in many ways a blessing. That said, what little hype the announcement generated among the wider anime and gaming communities has long since dried up. Some may return when they finally drop a trailer, but it’s starting to feel like the Shenmue 3 Kiskstarter announcement all over again.

I think a big problem is that there are so many people who data mine and find cracks revealing news. The anime (or something related to Shenmue) was sort of leaked a week beforehand. I'm pretty sure the anime was revealed at the time it was meant to, but in some ways, it's worse for rumours to circulate and *nothing* happens (we've been down this route for Shenmue III for years).

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't in this 24 hour hyper-aware news at all cost world we live in.

The important thing is that Shenmue is not forgotten in the wider concisousness. Let's not forget the anime got a lot of traffic. For the most part, Shenmue news is often picked up in the mainstream gaming press, so in a way, i'm glad the anime was announced when it did. If no anime was announced, i'm sure we'd be in a big funk.

The fact the anime exists is wonderful news. To be honest, i'm used to waiting (hell, I forgot that the Shenmue Documentary is two years late). I think we're in a pretty good place at the moment considering the alternatives.

I don't think it's worth stressing over whether the reveal was too early. Endless content churn in the internet age means everything gets coverage, first footage will draw interest wherever or whenever it drops, and if the other Adult Swim/Crunchyroll originals are anything to go by they'll give it a solid push where they think the audience is*.

*Another reason why I get vibes about the TGAs despite no real reason to believe it'll be there.

The CrunchyRoll partnership anime AS is doing seem to be like this. It’s hard to track now that it seems it finally had a full release trailer presented a couple weeks ago, but as I recall, Blade Runner Black Lotus was originally announced all the way back in 2016 (seems it was 2018?), and is due to air this fall. Fena: Pirate Princess had a trailer shown just before the Shenmue anime was announced, and it’s just set to debut this weekend.

Whatever their strategy is, it’s not particular to Shenmue The Animation alone.

The CrunchyRoll partnership anime AS is doing seem to be like this. It’s hard to track now that it seems it finally had a full release trailer presented a couple weeks ago, but as I recall, Blade Runner Black Lotus was originally announced all the way back in 2016 (seems it was 2018?), and is due to air this fall. Fena: Pirate Princess had a trailer shown just before the Shenmue anime was announced, and it’s just set to debut this weekend.

Whatever their strategy is, it’s not particular to Shenmue The Animation alone.
Good to know they manage all of their projects this way, I guess. Based on your post, I’m now wondering whether the trailer might end up dropping next year instead and the anime itself at some point in 2023/2024. So much for it helping to get Shenmue 4 greenlit 😅

Back