F355 Challenge

SPG

Currently playing
Shenmue II
Anyone ever played this? Somewhere not too far from where I live has the arcade machine, every time I’m nearby I’m itching to play cuz of the YS connection, but never manage it for one reason or another - no cash on me usually, thanks to Apple Pay I never take my wallet out these days.

The machine itself looks well grotty and ancient, but that makes it more appealing somehow.

Was just curious if it was interesting at all? Or just another racing game?

Anyone ever played this? Somewhere not too far from where I live has the arcade machine, every time I’m nearby I’m itching to play cuz of the YS connection, but never manage it for one reason or another - no cash on me usually, thanks to Apple Pay I never take my wallet out these days.

The machine itself looks well grotty and ancient, but that makes it more appealing somehow.

Was just curious if it was interesting at all? Or just another racing game?
I played the arcade back at launch in Europe. The triple screen trick worked very well and it wasn't just a cheap title taking advantage of the Ferrari license but a funny and intense racing game.
It was also one of the last iconic arcade cabinets released at my country.

Related, I asked to LanDC or LemonHaze (can't remember to whom) if there was a possibility for modding Shenmue into displaying on 3 big screens at 1:1 and the answer was a yes 🥹 with lots of messing and dirty hacking to render system 🥲😢

Might try and get a copy - it’d have to be PS2 though, my Dreamcast is half dead. Still works but I have to switch it on and off a million times before it’ll read a disc properly.

Have you had it looked at? I take it you cleaned the lens and any contacts?

Last edited:
Nah I haven’t, I wouldn’t know where to get it looked at if I’m honest - once it’s running it works fine, it’s almost like it has to get warmed up to get going.

It did sit in its box on the shelf untouched for 19 years though.

Loved the game on DC, I think it came bundled with my DC console, iirc. There was an Arcade machine in Cologne, Germany in the mid 2000s which I also played a couple of times. The machine was absolutely phenomenal, especially in multi player. Almost felt like driving the real thing, with its original seat and steering wheel.😉

Nah I haven’t, I wouldn’t know where to get it looked at if I’m honest - once it’s running it works fine, it’s almost like it has to get warmed up to get going.

It did sit in its box on the shelf untouched for 19 years though.
I'm no expert, but from experience, something that needs to be "warmed up" to work is usually a capacitor problem.
There is a charity called "Repair Cafe" that is hosted at least once a month in various cities across the world where people can bring stuff in to get repaired by volunteers. Maybe it's worth taking it to one of those if there's any near you?

Reactions: SPG
Might try and get a copy - it’d have to be PS2 though, my Dreamcast is half dead. Still works but I have to switch it on and off a million times before it’ll read a disc properly.
For "read a disc properly", do you mean: it doesn't even boot or restarts at random moments during play? That's common and its the lid. Any book by Ken Follet or any other heavy object sitting on top of the closed lid should patch-fix the issue. Its an early DC design problem which didn't had the time to get solved in future models, like did the PSX 100X series with the power port at the other side, next to cpu, resulting in circuit frying and fixed in late models swapping the power port placement.

Last edited:
Without a disc in the console switches on perfectly, put a disc in and it starts spinning but doesn’t start the actual game, takes a few tries before it reads it - maybe it’s the lid, I’ll try putting a brick on it next time.

Once it’s started it’s no problem, just getting it going is the issue.

I just remembered that Formula 1 Driver Rubens Barichello allegedly owned an F 355 Arcade Machine once.😂

Back