Failing QTE's on purpose to make the scene to your liking?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
One of the things I'm so obsessive about in Shenmue which is honestly really weird, is failing certain QTE's on purpose to alter the scene to your liking. Like its almost like creating what you want to happen in the scene like a interactive movie? I just find it so fascinating for some reason if Ryo gets hit then knocks a guy out, then knocks another guy out, then gets hit again. Its almost like making the scenes more exciting and intense too rather than just having Ryo KO all the guys no problem. That's boring. Failing some QTE's adds more tension to the scene and honestly makes it a lot cooler to me. I don't know if anyone does the same....? Lol!

This obsession led me to get obsessed with interactive choice based games with QTE's like the Telltale games, Heavy Rain, Detroit and Until Dawn and those and Shenmue I and II are probably my favorite games of all time. I'm in the minority but I freaking love QTE's. I really don't understand all the hate and why people give it so much shit. It's a really creative and Innovative idea that Yu thought of, but people shit on him for it and on Shenmue and QTE's and I'm sick of it!

And Shenmue III removed the interactive QTE scenes and made it so if you fail one QTE you have to retry the whole scene which really pissed me off and develop such a hatred for the game and such regret for buying the $80 digital deluxe edition. My favorite aspect of the game completely gone! That's why I haven't uploaded any videos of it on my Shenmue channel and deleted the game off my hard drive and didn't finish it. Plus the free battles are a lot harder for some reason, even though Yu said it'd be easier than the first two! The game requires too much training... which I hate doing. In Shenmue I, practicing was good so your moves can get stronger in battle, but it wasn't mandatory to beat the game. Like you can easily beat every fight in the game without training at all. You may lose a lot, but it still can be done! I didn't train at all in my first run because I didn't know about it back then, but the only fight that I feel you need serious training for is the Chai fight at You Arcade, that can't be beat without training, but it was optional to beat anyway so who really cares if it gets beat or not unless someone wants to brag that they beat a hard fight?

I'm sorry for my ranting, it's just Shenmue III didn't meet my expectations at all and I'm ashamed to say it as a long time hardcore fanboy, as I hoped at least for interactive QTE scenes! AT LEAST! I'm sorry for being such a weirdo too, I have aspergers syndrome and get obsessive and am into kinda weird stuff... lol

Also practicing the moves in Shenmue I by spamming moves in a park, parking lot, etc. was a lot more less painful then doing that balancing crap and all those weird mini-games in Shenmue III. That stuff was painful and I hated doing it. If Shenmue IV isn't Shenmue I & II quality then it should be a movie or part of the anime series. I feel if the game's not interactive, then you might as well just make a movie or anime instead.

If I remember, in Shenmue 2's Aberdeen chase with Wong, I think you can go back to the waitess Ryo knocked down in a failed QTE and he will apologise to her. I think that was a nice touch.

I can wholeheartedly agree on this. Failing certain parts of certain QTEs actually enhances the spectacle.

Like in the Mad Angels QTE you can let Ryo take a punch and shrug it off like a total badass. Or you can have him take a melon to the face, wich is just funny. You can also let the drunk guy around the bars clutch Ryo for an eternity. And then there is the scene at the Man Mo Bistro of course, where you can gain some Fangmei soup ladle action by messing up. Should do a video of that. It doesn't seem this is up for views anywhere...

You really gotta applaud Shenmue for not just (re)inventing the QTEs but also avoiding the "press X to not die" mentality that most other games had when they adapted the mechanic. Shenmue II is even better in this regard, as it has more diverse inputs that for the most part correspond to what the button does while fighting by yourself.

And then look at what they pulled off with the command QTEs. They are a bit strange at first but go an analyze the scene where Ren pulls out his knife or the one with the thugs at the duck stand from the Chawan Sign. You don't just get a good and bad outcome here. Depending on how many inputs you did right the scene will play out that far accordingly before giving you one of 3 different fail animations.

I can wholeheartedly agree on this. Failing certain parts of certain QTEs actually enhances the spectacle.

Like in the Mad Angels QTE you can let Ryo take a punch and shrug it off like a total badass. Or you can have him take a melon to the face, wich is just funny. You can also let the drunk guy around the bars clutch Ryo for an eternity. And then there is the scene at the Man Mo Bistro of course, where you can gain some Fangmei soup ladle action by messing up. Should do a video of that. It doesn't seem this is up for views anywhere...

You really gotta applaud Shenmue for not just (re)inventing the QTEs but also avoiding the "press X to not die" mentality that most other games had when they adapted the mechanic. Shenmue II is even better in this regard, as it has more diverse inputs that for the most part correspond to what the button does while fighting by yourself.

And then look at what they pulled off with the command QTEs. They are a bit strange at first but go an analyze the scene where Ren pulls out his knife or the one with the thugs at the duck stand from the Chawan Sign. You don't just get a good and bad outcome here. Depending on how many inputs you did right the scene will play out that far accordingly before giving you one of 3 different fail animations.
I'm glad someone else feels the same! I thought I was the only one! Lol. BTW I'm actually ShenmueChannel on YouTube, I was the one who told you about the alternate outcomes for inputing parts of the Command QTE correctly. I'm also the main editor and a admin on Shenmue wiki and I have the same username I have here "RyoHazuki36". And honestly no joke... I was also Kuroioni that guy that found out about not having enough money for the bus. That was a random channel I made for fun, for non-Shenmue videos and some Shenmue videos that I abandoned. I actually re-uploaded that video with the bus on ShenmueChannel.

Oh that's good to know. I totally didn't cross my mind that it was you. Though thinking about it now, the Yuan VMU screen kinda gives it away.

Also I find some of the moves that Ryo does if you succeed a QTE after failing one is so much more badass. Like when Smith in the Heartbeats Alley, Dick Phillips the drunk sailor in the harbor QTE fight with the sailors, and a bunch of the Yellow Heads in the QTE battle in the Lucky Charm Qr. hit Ryo with a weak ass punch, then Ryo slowly looks towards them and then hits them with a big sucker punch to the face knocking them out is so freaking badass. Kneeing those guys so easily is so boring.

Oh that's good to know. I totally didn't cross my mind that it was you. Though thinking about it now, the Yuan VMU screen kinda gives it away.
Yeah Yuan's my favorite character in the series well just the uncensored male version.

If I remember, in Shenmue 2's Aberdeen chase with Wong, I think you can go back to the waitess Ryo knocked down in a failed QTE and he will apologise to her. I think that was a nice touch.
Yeah what's also cool is you know how you can get a QTE fight with the Poison Brothers at Canton Cafe or the usual place they hang Ling Ling Porridge if you do the Chawan Sign at either of those locations? Well if you win the fight, they'll be super nice to you when you talk to them since they're intimidated by you, but if you fail the fight you can still continue the story and they'll still treat you like crap like how they did before you did the fight or if you don't do the fight at all.

Also learning the Brawling Uppercut from Delin will give you alternate dialogue when you say goodbye to him. If you learn it he asks if you beat Ren down and says he'll teach you his ultimate move next. But not learning the move will have him ask you if you want to work with him again.

Such amazing games! Too bad Shenmue III didn't live up to them at all. Just those small little details are so nice.

Also besides the Ren and Duck stand fight, the other two Command QTE's where there are multiple different fail outcomes are when Yuan chases you with his chainsaw. At the end of the first chase, during the Command QTE where Ryo has to kick down the pallets to block Yuan from getting to him, inputing nothing correctly will just have Ryo run past the pallets, and inputing only up will have Ryo attempt to kick down the pallets but miss. Both outcomes then lead to him getting cut by Yuan's chainsaw.

The other one is at the end of the second chase, where Ryo has to grab the fire extinguisher to spray it on Yuan. Inputing nothing correctly will have Ryo run past it, then he'll get cut by Yuan's chainsaw. Inputing only left, will have Ryo grab the fire extinguisher, but he's too slow to spray it on Yuan, so then he cuts him with Ren saying "You're too damn slow!".

I believe those are the only other Command QTE's like that, each have two different fail outcomes.

Doing a recent playthrough of S1 and S2, I failed every QTE on purpose to see what would change. The most significant one was in the Yellow Head Building when Don Niu chases you. One failing makes the two of you fall through the ceiling. What blew my mind was then you start a new fight instead! I purposefully moved back to see what would happen and Don Niu grabs your feet and you fail. I've seen at least a couple of dozen new scenes failing QTE's and it blows my mind 20 years after first playing it.

The other one was mentioend before, but when you fail to find Wong and going back to the café afterwards to get an apology scene. That was a nice touch as it didn't need to happen. Trying to think "what would happen if I did this" is half the fun!

Just remembered that I recently experimented with the chicken race and got some great results.

Yeah I read about those different outcomes in the Prima strategy guide for Shenmue I. Years ago, I've uploaded the scene with all the QTE's succeeded and one of all of them failed, but didn't upload the other outcomes.

Back