Famitsu article on 2021 Japanese game developer aspirations, featuring Yu Suzuki

"The sequel..."

It's happening! That or a new Space Harrier

“We hope that the new year of 2021 will heal your body and soul at home with a relaxing game like Shenmue”

Hmm 🤔

It's good that YSNET could have several irons in the fire. Keep that cashflow going and keep those employees there.

2021 will be very interesting

“We hope that the new year of 2021 will heal your body and soul at home with a relaxing game like Shenmue”
The quote is more like "I hope that over the 2021 new year holiday...."
So unless there's an announcement and release REAL soon(lol) he basically just said "happy new year play my game while you have time off over the next few days" lol

he basically just said "happy new year play my game while you have time off over the next few days" lol
Ahh, that makes sense! I thought he was referring to next year but didn't think of the new year holiday.

1) Look back on competitive fighting games.

Maybe this will be the new Virtua Fighter, we saw that trailer of VF, i think Yu Suzuki is involved in the project.

2) The sequel to...

I really think that this is Shenmue IV, like my friend said to me today... "I think it will be because it is Yu's most popular game. Everybody always asks him about it" i agree with this.

The interview with Cedric really gave me hope, they are thinking about Shenmue IV, they did some testing, video and things like that, Cedric said he was impressed but that this is not confirmation that it will happen. I have a feeling that Yu Suzuki is working in Shenmue IV but they can't announced yet, i have hope that Shenmue will continue, i need to have hope, i love Shenmue so much.

In my opinion just two more games for Yu Suzuki to finish this epic saga, i really think he will finish in Shenmue V. We need to continue to stay vocal about Shenmue. Every month Shenmue Forever always do a amazing job with letsgetShenmueIV, really nice.

One of the reasons i created my Shenmue Channel in YouTube is to support Shenmue and Yu Suzuki, i really think Shenmue IV will happen, letsgetShenmueIV 😊

I think he’s involved in VF X as well. Why would he randomly mention anything about competitive fighting games?

Sega CEO Haruki Satomi described Virtua Fighter X Esports as “a project commemorating the 60th year anniversary of [Sega],” starting “first” in Japan.

Asked if the project would involve a new Virtua Fighter game, the CEO joked that he had run out of time and that more information would be revealed in the future.

However, in its latest financial results, Sega has provided a clearer description of the project, which it confirms is a game “restart” focussed on competitive play.

“Created as the world’s first 3D fighting game in 1993, Virtua Fighter caused a huge sensation at the time and is still loved by fans,” the description reads.

“The game will restart as an eSports title, initially in Japan. Project details will be announced from time to time, so please keep an eye out.”
Too specific to be a coincidence, IMO.

Not saying he's the game designer, director, or producer. Maybe he's just a consultant. I'm sure he's got to be involved in some capacity. He has talked a lot about his interest in e-sports as well.

Last edited:
対戦型バトルを振り返る。
Taisengata batoru wo furikaeru

Reminiscing about Fighting Battles? (or fighting games)

That could read two ways to me. Is he hinting at something Virtua Fighter related? We know something is cooking with Virtua Fighter over at SEGA and the idea of reminiscing about his baby could make sense. Or is he talking about Shenmue III's battle system?

Either way, it's good to see further teases. I do believe IV will happen at some point. It will probably happen on a similar budget to III but I do believe it will happen. Have hope.

The comments are very vague but nonetheless quite intriguing . i would be very glad about another Virtua Fighter and of course Shenmue 4 would be the hit.

I am really curious when Yu-San is going to be a bit more precise about his plans for the future. I am not asking much just a small press release for the start of the development of Shenmue 4 would be nice in 2021.

Back