Favorite Games of the Generation?

This whole generation? Too many to count but on top of my head the biggest games I played were:
Ryse: Son of Rome
Sunset Overdrive
The Order 1886
Bloodborne
Witcher 3
Batman Arkham Knight
DOOM 2016
The Last Guardian
Horizon Zero Dawn
Uncharted 4
Assassins' Creed Syndicate
Just Cause 3
Shenmue I&II
Shenmue III
Judgment
RDR2
Days Gone
God of War
Spider-Man
Final Fantasy VII Remake

I had fun with some of the games in the list, but most of them were a blur really. Just those three I mentioned were the games I absolutely loved.
Didnt love The witcher 3? RDR 2? HZD? Doom 2016? :openmouth::openmouth::openmouth:

Didnt love The witcher 3? RDR 2? HZD? Doom 2016? :openmouth::openmouth::openmouth:
I did have fun with RDR2, Horizon and Doom, (I didn't care at all for Witcher 3.) but that's it. They good games, but I didn't love them enough to beat or get super far into them so def not games I would put as my favorites this generation.

For me, gaming just ain't the same anymore as it was on the 6th gen. Judgment, the Shenmue rereleases and Shenmue III were the bright spots this gen for me and the only games I managed to beat more than once.

I did have fun with RDR2, Horizon and Doom, (I didn't care at all for Witcher 3.) but that's it. They good games, but I didn't love them enough to beat or get super far into them so def not games I would put as my favorites this generation.

For me, gaming just ain't the same anymore as it was on the 6th gen. Judgment, the Shenmue rereleases and Shenmue III were the bright spots this gen for me and the only games I managed to beat more than once.
Yakuza series?

Really? Whats wrong with it?
I loved Doom 2016 and the approach it takes in regards to story and gameplay. Eternal throws all that out, the story seems to miss a game as it doesn't follow on from the cliffhanger ending of the last game - all of a sudden you have a floating space fortress (how?) complete with it's own teenager's bedroom, filled with guitars and action figures of enemies (not making this up). You go through a teleporter to random levels then back to the ship with no sense of continuity. Doom 2016 feels like a proper adventure through Mars and then to Hell and Back, whereas Eternal is just a load of stuff slapped together. There's an unbelievable amount of platforming , you have a double jump and an air dash, now I don't mind a bit of variety but there's tons of it, and the collision detection isn't great either so you'll often miss ledges one time and the next time grab them with no issue.

The story and presentation have gone from tongue in cheek to completely pomp and serious, with cringey lore entries and all this superfluous guff that Doom 2016 mocked other games for having. The gameplay plays more like a character action game than a Doom game, with a heavy emphasis on platforming, constant meter management and collecting floating 1-ups. I beat the game but I didn't really enjoy any of it. I hate to say it but I think it's the worst game ID software have ever put out. It's the Doom series equivalent of Halo 2, tons of new stuff diluting what made the original game so good in the first place.

resizedimage640360-DOOM-Eternal-Screenshot-4.png

I'm sure these rotating fire things are in Super Mario World so why they are in a Doom game is anyone's guess :unsure:

Last edited:
I have an awful memory, so I've probably omitted so many but 5 games stick out for me:

1. Persona 5/Royal
2. Undertale
3. Shenmue 1&2 HD
4. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
5. Sonic Generations

I tacked on 4 and 5 because I wanted to have more of a list but I still enjoyed them a lot. ALBW was, for me, the best brand new Zelda game since Wind Waker (and yeah, I played the the HD version and I could have included it but I didn't want to throw in another port on my list). In fact, I would probably throw the Majora's mask remake in too, since it's up in my top 5 all time games. Sonic Generations took me back to the good ol' days of Sonic. Aside from the final boss, it was really well done. The game pleasantly surprised me at the time.

Persona 5 and Undertale had so much love pumped into them and they were both very quirky games. Persona took me nearly 6 months to complete because I was travelling a lot and all the time spent away from the game made me daydream about what would happen next.

Last edited:
No particular order and I might miss some on the way since the generation has been long and not including remakes/ports.

• Witcher 3: I've been fan of the books and the games since long ago and this with its expansions have been a formidable way of closing Gerald and Ciri story.
  • Persona 5 Royale: stylish, plays great, gameplay and plot really tied together and an overall improvement on the gameplay of the series. Royale also introduced what is likely the best antagonist on the modern Persona games.
  • Crusader Kings 2: The best game of paradox after Victoria 2. Great replayability, spend hours and hours of plotting and marriages to gain new land and I love strategy games.
  • Xcom: it is scom not much else to say about such a classic strategy/tactics game.
  • Into the breach: another tactic/strategy game. The gameplay loop and units are so tight and well tested that I completely understand when people compare it to chess.
  • Monster Hunter World: In general an upgrade of the series removing a lot of the unnecessary early grind and chores. Still grindy game to hunt monsters with friends.
  • Slay the spire: I had too many hours into the card roguelike per excellency. Its formula has been copied over and over for a reason. Such an addictive game.
  • Yakuza 0: the last of the yakuzas before the engine switch (or so I seem to recall). While I do like the newer yakuzas I do miss what this one peaked on heat actions/weapons/etc that were removed in newer iterations due the engine upgrade.
  • Dragon Quest XI: Classic as always but with current AAA production values.
  • Doom 2016: Enjoyed the hell out of it to just have a FPS to not care about story/cutscenes and just have visceral action. It really captured the old school feel.
  • Trails in the sky 1 and 2: Barely enters in this gen (released in 2014 in PC) if not for the recent Persona5 I would consider Estelle story the best JRPG of the generation.
  • Vestaria Saga: Kaga making a classic Fire Emblem like and it was a blast to play.
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4: another srpg entry, surprise! I loved the original I loved the sequel that felt like a soft reboot.
While I enjoy occasional storydriven interactive films like Last of Us and such I do not consider them a favourite of mine.

Nothing from nintendo that I can recall since I did skip the switch (not enough singleplayer games IMHO to justify the purchase) and the 3ds while it counts I do not remember anything that memorable from them.

Shenmue I & II HD 8
Shenmue 3 7
Yakuza 0 6
Yakuza 6 4
The witcher 3 4
The last guardian 4
Persona 5 4
Red Dead Redemption 2 3
TLOU 2 3
Ghost of Tsushima 3
Life is strange 2.5
Zelda BOTW 2.5

No particular order and I might miss some on the way since the generation has been long and not including remakes/ports.

• Yakuza 0: the last of the yakuzas before the engine switch (or so I seem to recall). While I do like the newer yakuzas I do miss what this one peaked on heat actions/weapons/etc that were removed in newer iterations due the engine upgrade
While I enjoy occasional storydriven interactive films like Last of Us and such I do not consider them a favourite of mine.

Nothing from nintendo that I can recall since I did skip the switch (not enough singleplayer games IMHO to justify the purchase) and the 3ds while it counts I do not remember anything that memorable from them.

That would be Kiwami.

Yakuza series?
I feel I might like them, but I'm not a fan of the lack of dub for most of the games which is what gravitated me towards Judgment. The dub in the upcoming Like a Dragon game sounds great, but turn based isn't really my thing so there's that, heh.

I might check out that Fist of the North Star game from the same devs which does have a dub, though I'm not familiar at all with the source material to know if I'll really enjoy it.

Back