Favorite Ryu Ga Gotoku Spin-Off Title

What is your favorite spin-off title from the Ryu Ga Gotoku Franchise?

• Total voters
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Strider (2014)
Inspired by @Dietsoap, I decided to create a complementary thread to their mainline Ryu Ga Gotoku titles. As the title suggests, what is your favorite spin-off title in the Ryu Ga Gotoku series and why? Even to this day, mine is still Ishin and Kenzan due to my bias towards samurai, but the Judgment series is a close second.

This one I can’t really do the same rule as I did in the other thread because I’ve only finished Dead Souls so far…lol

This one feels a bit tougher for me because they are all a bit more different from each other. I don’t think Dead Souls is as bad as people say, I had fun with it, but I certainly prefer the normal combat system and etc.

Judgement…story and characters seem intriguing but so far the gameplay just feels very boring and sorta run of the mill for me, tbh. Based on one review I’ve watched of the sequel, there’s not much it ads to make the detective aspect actually make you try to solve the case, which doesn’t make things sound hopeful for me, but I guess I’ll reserve…judgement :p …until I finish the first one and try it for myself.

Both Kenzan and Ishin are cool, but the former feels a bit too archaic whereas Ishin adds a lot of cool new stuff that I enjoy. The only thing keeping me from progressing is the language barrier making it confusing, unfortunately.

The Fist of the North Star game is probably the one I find most promising, and that’s probably because other than the memes I know next to nothing about the series. Character design is great, voice acting as usual, story feels fresh without all the same characters and tropes around them, plus driving in a hub world is kinda neat. Only thing is it feels like the kills might get way more repetitive than the heat actions.

Despite all that I voted for Ishin mostly for the combat abs leveling system. Just wish it was in English.

Voted for Judgement. I’m still very early on in Lost Judgement, and while it’s made small improvements that I find make a big difference…I think the Yokohama setting actually detracts from the game a little and I don’t know why. I guess it’s just a little too sprawling? And to me that makes the separate little game mechanics seem a bit more disjointed. But it’s still too early for me to know for sure.

I bought Dead Souls back in the day, but never finished. Same with Ishin, but that’s just a lack of localization thing. I finished the import version of Y0 right before I got Ishin, but the period setting just couldn’t hold my interest enough to finish it without understanding what was going on. And I want to finish Hokuto. I’ve started over twice, but I just kept losing interest in that too.

You forgot the Kurohyos ;)

But not a bother; I doubt anyone has played them here, outside of myself and maybe 3 others.

Mine go:

Ishin!>Judge Eyes>Kurohyo: Ashura Hen for 3 favourites.

If Kurohyo was fully fleshed-out on a console, it would probably be tops; I love those games and they're a ton of fun.

You forgot the Kurohyos ;)

But not a bother; I doubt anyone has played them here, outside of myself and maybe 3 others.

Mine goes:

In!>Judge Eyes>Kurohyo: Ashura Hen for 3 favorites.

If Kurohyo was fully fleshed-out on a console, it would probably top; I love those games and they're a ton of fun.
I did not know about Kurohyo. Well shows how much I know lol. Thanks for introducing me to a new spin-off title!

I didn't like samurai games. They don't add anything to the franchise. Kenzan has some very beautiful landscapes, but that's about it.

PSP games are ok I think.

I didn't finish Hokuto Ga Gotoku due to lack of interest.

Judge Eyes is great and Lost Judgment is even better, except maybe in the story.

They don't add anything to the franchise.

PSP games are ok I think.

Please, they added a ton and were fantastic games (especially Ishin!)

And did you play the Kurohyos or no?

Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it bad.

Please, they added a ton and were fantastic games (especially Ishin!)

And did you play the Kurohyos or no?

Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it bad.
o·pin·ion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. "I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"

just finished lost judgment... the story is good but idk its not as good as judgment

just finished lost judgment... the story is good but idk its not as good as judgment
Combat is much better. New style, improvements on previous styles, no mortal wounds. And it has a lot more content.
And they got rid of the tailing missions for most of the main story, with the exception of the prologue.

Now talking about story, then I agree. Although I liked Kuwana and Soma.

o·pin·ion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. "I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"

I didn't like samurai games. They don't add anything to the franchise. Kenzan has some very beautiful landscapes, but that's about it.

Pretty factual statement you're trying to make there...

Just choose your words better next time; we're all here to have great discussions for this phenomenal series and something inflammatory will always be called out (it's why Xat laughed at your post). You don't think they added anything; that's fine. Fact is they did and that's a poor criticism for why you didn't like it, so that'll be a discussion point 10/10 times.

As I wrote in the Judge Eyes thread, the plot is a bit polarising for Lost Judgment, since many people have not been bullied in their lives (on the contrary; many were doing the bullying) and they don't, not, "get it," but the points and feelings behind the plot can't be related to as well: it's definitely a story that has an emotive and moral connotation to it, while the first game is just an outright crime thriller, with little morality in it (IE: the antagonists are much more black and white than in Lost Judgment) and the only real emotion one would feel is remorse for the treatment of Yagami for defending Okubo and Okubo himself, once the truth comes out.

As someone who was bullied frequently until about age 12 or so (thank my stars that the bullying never got physical), the plot resonated with me so much and having been in that place many times, the devs knocked it out of the park in the construction and development of the plot, settings and characters. And as much as I dislike the character, Kuwana is a damn good and super-deep character.

From the spin-offs I've only played the Judgment and Kurohyou games and think both series are great, though I wish Kurohyou would get the Kiwami treatment, while somehow keeping in some of the awesome handdrawn art.

While Dead Souls, their Hokuto no Ken game and the Samurai games were never high priority for me, I still have them on my list and those type of games tend to surprise me the most once I finally get around to play them.

If I had to pick a favorite having only played half of the spin-offs, it would be between the two Judgment games.

It's my favorite series. It's my opinion. Amazing how I have to say this to people who know more English than I do. Lol.

Last edited:
I like every yakuza games and every spin off too, but Yakuza like a dragon is in my top 3 of games I hate the most.

Back