Favorite Shenmue 3 NPCS?

I strongly disagree, Mr. Sun I thought was a pretty realized character. Hearing the towns people talk about his drunken behaviour and hearing variants of how miserly he was and how he didn’t his tab at various vendors was brilliant. Then his whole training section along with his dedicated sidequest did a nice job of fleshing his personality out.

Now to mention Wenxu Su tall tales which was probably my favourite sidequest and each of his outlandish tales were very humorous despite he reciting them to you without a hint of irony.

Right on! The tall tales was one of my favourite side quests as well. :)

I really liked Sun. also really liked Wei

i liked the NPC’s of Shenmue III and felt they had about as much personality as any of the other NPC’s in this series.

Who the fuck is that Yuave guy who walks around in the white t-shirt?

Did he pay like 10K to be put in the game? Ruins the immersion everytime I see him walking around

Did he pay like 10K to be put in the game? Ruins the immersion everytime I see him walking around

Do you mean the dude in Niaowu who always flexes back at the hotel? He's hilarious. I had a lot of laughs when I continuously spoke to him

That guy creeps me out every time I see him, lol. The problem is that he's always moving so I saw him a couple times a day in different spots. Would have been better to have him sit in a cafe or hang around the hotel before bed.

There were 2 other npcs for me who stood out as unusual/disappointing.

One is the guy in Niaowou who is always fishing in a corner spot by the warehouse. He always occupied that space and I could never fish there. I'm not sure if there's any mission or storyline to that guy.

And then one of the older gentlemen in Bailu. He would always be near the village square sitting at a table before you go to the old blind ladies house. I always approached him for information because the first 2 games taught me that old people have insight to share, or cool stories. He never delivered though and always let me down. He would often repeat the same confused lines that didn't provide assistance or information. I eventually stopped bothering with him because of this.

Sun only because I feel that he was the only one that was handled properly. everyone else had so much potential but they did nothing with them. Feng in particular.

I thought Mr Hong that offers Ryo job in the harbor appeared to be a friendly and a little cozy guy. After the forklift shift Mr Hong tells Ryo to come back at 5PM (or was it at 8PM?) and he will show Ryo a martial art move. I tried to go to him at the specified time, but I could not start the sparring. Someone else that managed to spar with Mr Hong?

Attachments

• Hong.png
    Hong.png
    943.7 KB · Views: 7
I thought Mr Hong that offers Ryu job in the harbor appeared to be a friendly and a little cozy guy. After the forklift shift Mr Hong tells Ryu to come back at 5PM (or was it at 8PM?) and he will show Ryu a martial art move. I tried to go to him at the specified time, but I could not start the sparring. Someone else that managed to spar with Mr Hong?

I'd hardly call Mr. Hong "little", however cozy he may be in spirit ;) S3 loves its bigbois.

As to the move, I had the same problem on my first playthrough. Go to the dock where you're often placing crates (the "middle part" of the harbor, so to speak) on the same day (and at 5 PM) that he says he'll teach the move. I believe it's the top right corner (I wish this game had a compass), but if you run the corners/perimeters of the dock, it'll trigger a cutscene.

I liked the NPC’s of Shenmue III and felt they had about as much personality as any of the other NPC’s in this series.

This is it.
I started the game many months ago... and didn't finished it yet.
Since the first day in Bailu, I am taking my time and forcing myself to speak to every single NPC each time I progress one short step forward only in the main plot, avoiding to discuss with the character supposedly unlocking the story progression. So I can confirm NPCs have tons of script lines that tell a looooot about their personnality, background, relationships, needs and personnal ambitions.
That's why now that I am almost at the end of the game, I REALLY don't understand the criticism about lack of NPCs development. I truly believe the extreme opposite.
So I am wondering if those people really took their time... or rushed the game from a main plot event to another!? 🤔

Last edited:
That's why now that I am almost at the end of the game, I REALLY don't understand the criticism about lack of NPCs development. I truly believe the extreme opposite.
So I am wondering if those people really took their time... or rushed the game from a main plot event to another!? 🤔

I spent 95 hours on Shenmue 3 and discovered most of the secret events/dialogues before the forum eventually mentioned them but I left unimpressed by the NPCs.

I don't remember any of them in particular but I remember that:
- I felt uncomfortable by being flirted with every average woman on the map lol. I would have preferred a bit more of variety in the reactions.

- They tried too hard to be funny. It's like they lacked of ideas and use humor to fill the holes.. The comical ending of Shenmue 3 shows the excess from the direction. In the end, I still think Shenmue 2 has the funniest moments.

- Many of them had a repetitive line. My main disappointment actually because I don't think it needed skilled and expensive programmers to make something richer and surprising. They just needed the motivation and writing imagination to do so. And they no longer have the excuse of being limited by the GD-rom free data this time.

- The "press X button" to enable a side quest spoiled me the pleasure of free talking and triggering secret relations with no formal objective.

- Linked to my previous point, the most intriguing characters had an underwhelming number of lines or interactions. The old Shaolin guy at the Niaowu temple, the first guy who knew Iwao, the daughter of the first stonemason we meet, the broom girl... I was pretty pissed by their lack of character development. Bailu is a town, not a city, you're supposed to socialize more than that, especially in a Shenmue game.

I didn't want a dialogue fest like in modern games neither. Discover script lines has to remain rewarding. But I don't think the balance in Shenmue 3 was good.

Last edited:
Back