Feature on Yu Suzuki in new Edge

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Currently playing
Ghost of Tsushima
PSN
mjqjazzbar
Figured this should get its own thread, especially so it encourages one of you lucky UK Shenmue Dojo-ers to head out and give us the scoop on what's in this feature:

Saw this on Resetera. In the new Edge (RE3 cover):

Big feature with Yu Suzuki on the games of AM2 (Hang-On, Space Harrier, Out Run, Virtua Fighter, and Shenmue 1 and 2`0, the challenges of crowdfunding, and completing Shenmue 3.

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/edge-343-features.172083/

Sounds like it might've made its way to some mailboxes already, so I think so.

I have been curious and eager to see if Yu goes into detail on some of the root causes and challenges that hindered some aspects of Shenmue 3. Seems like the focus and effort was noticeably front loaded on Bailu Village, which is the most detailed and best part of the game. Very interesting

I braved the wind and rain and got a copy. There's nothing in it we don't already know to be honest, it's just a few paragraphs from Yu about the making some of his major games (Hang On, Space Harrier, Out Run, Virtua Fighter, Shenmue 1 and 3). He says that making a game via crowd funding is different in that normally games aren't shown off until they're 3-6 months from launch, and that he felt the need to please the backers first and foremost and that he also wanted to create a game that was stress-free so that new players wouldn't just stop playing. It's not essential reading but it's pleasant enough.

My phone is fucked so I couldn't post photos even if it was allowed, sorry guys!

Yeah I got it too. The shenmue section is tiny. Not very informative. Although he does mention how different developing under crowdfunding is, in that you have to continually include the backers.

I’ll take photos when I get home later. Unless it isn’t allowed? KM’s post above makes it seem that way.

Yeah I got it too. The shenmue section is tiny. Not very informative. Although he does mention how different developing under crowdfunding is, in that you have to continually include the backers.

I’ll take photos when I get home later. Unless it isn’t allowed? KM’s post above makes it seem that way.
We've gone on the side of caution with these things in the past so for now just share via DM requests and I'll double check.

I've seen the article and it's not got any spoilers etc but because it's only just gone on sale I'd want to be doubly sure it's ok to be posted here.

Sure thing. I’ve taken a few quick shots of every page in the article with phone. They’re nowhere near scan quality and you can see my phone’s shadow but the print and images are (or should be) perfectly legible.

@spud1897 You want me to send them to you?

edit: ok they are kind of crappy, now that I’ve cropped them. Still legible though. They’re not blurry or anything.

edit 2: sorry, I misread your post the first time. I just noticed you said you have seen the article already.

Sure thing. I’ve taken a few quick shots of every page in the article with phone. They’re nowhere near scan quality and you can see my phone’s shadow but the print and images are (or should be) perfectly legible.

@spud1897 You want me to send them to you?

edit: ok they are kind of crappy, now that I’ve cropped them. Still legible though. They’re not blurry or anything.

edit 2: sorry, I misread your post the first time. I just noticed you said you have seen the article already.
any news whatsoever?

I totally get the point of pleasing backers... but on the same token, what pleases some will displease others... I guess obligations to please high contributers may have factored into some of the poor directoral decisions?

I buy Edge every month so I picked this up. Their Collected Works series that this is part of rarely has any revelations, but it's always a nice feature to read because it gives a good glance of career trajectory for big names in games.

Back