Final Fantasy VII Remake

Isn't it supposed to be a trilogy? I really wouldn't want anything more than that. Pretty sure people have done the math and have worked out that Midgar is just under 30% of the entire story (if I remember correctly).

I guess with PS5 being backwards-compatible it won't matter as much if the next game is a PS5 game.

I thought Midgar was about 20%? To be fair I haven't got a clue though.

I don't know if it has been confirmed that it is a trilogy, but that is what most people think.

So it could be 3 or 4 games then...the fewer the better in my opinion. Games just take too long to make. With 3 games and a fairly tight schedule they could complete it by 2025...

Well I am eagerly awaiting April 10th. How big is the install? I imagine the digital version should start downloading either Wednesday or Thursday and I'm kind of curious how big it is and how long it will take to Download.

You know, the stupid thing is I ended up going with the digital version because I really thought that due to the Corona Pandemic that we honestly wouldn't get our hands on a physical copy day one. I really thought it was gonna be a pain in the ass with everything shutting up.

Then Square went and proved me wrong by releasing it physically a fucking week early here in Australia.

Thanks Square <claps>

I can't sincerely complain that much though. It did give me time to play through Resident Evil 3 this weekend and also gives me more time to finish of Doom Eternal before next weekend. Then I can devote my entire Easter Weekend to Final Fantasy VII remake with only Persona 5 Royal on the list of games occupying time (which I will take my sweet ass time with P5 Royale since I already know the story for that game and am in no rush to see it through)

@danielmann861, how did you find RE3make? I've read a lot of mixed things.

The original RE2 is one of my all-time favourite games...and I still haven't played the remake 😳 Bought it day 1, played about an hour, then I got super busy and have been saving it for a rainy day. Always liked RE3 a lot as well (more than CV, but not as much as 1 & 2).

@danielmann861, how did you find RE3make? I've read a lot of mixed things.

The original RE2 is one of my all-time favourite games...and I still haven't played the remake 😳 Bought it day 1, played about an hour, then I got super busy and have been saving it for a rainy day. Always liked RE3 a lot as well (more than CV, but not as much as 1 & 2).

It took me only 4 and a half hours to beat on Standard. Honestly? This felt like glorified DLC for Resident Evil 2 Remake as opposed to a full remake in its own right. Or to go one step further, this felt like a C-team in Capcom making Resident Evil Revelations moreso than an A-team making RE2 Remake. It's not bad per se, but it's lacking. Granted, RE3 was never really my favourite of the original PSone trilogy but RE3 PSone was at least a more expansive game. This feels like a highlight reel. It felt like cliff notes of RE3.

Also, Nemesis is so overwhelmingly disappointing. To go from the awesome Mr X encounters in RE2 to the heavily scripted Nemesis encounters in RE3 is a real downgrade. In fact, I would say the whole game feels as if it were Resident Evil made by a C-team that desperately wanted to replicate Naughty Dog's cinematic linear style experiences only with less talent involved.

Again, not terrible, I had some fun with it, but yeah, not a pinch on the RE2 remake from last year. Can tell this was a bit of an afterthought for Capcom.

It took me only 4 and a half hours to beat on Standard. Honestly? This felt like glorified DLC for Resident Evil 2 Remake as opposed to a full remake in its own right. Or to go one step further, this felt like a C-team in Capcom making Resident Evil Revelations moreso than an A-team making RE2 Remake. It's not bad per se, but it's lacking. Granted, RE3 was never really my favourite of the original PSone trilogy but RE3 PSone was at least a more expansive game. This feels like a highlight reel. It felt like cliff notes of RE3.

Also, Nemesis is so overwhelmingly disappointing. To go from the awesome Mr X encounters in RE2 to the heavily scripted Nemesis encounters in RE3 is a real downgrade. In fact, I would say the whole game feels as if it were Resident Evil made by a C-team that desperately wanted to replicate Naughty Dog's cinematic linear style experiences only with less talent involved.

Again, not terrible, I had some fun with it, but yeah, not a pinch on the RE2 remake from last year. Can tell this was a bit of an afterthought for Capcom.
Damn, yeah that's pretty much in line with what I've been reading, but now you mention the whole "C-team" thing, I wonder if this was worked on by a mostly different team, while the RE2 team work on RE8 or something.

Damn, yeah that's pretty much in line with what I've been reading, but now you mention the whole "C-team" thing, I wonder if this was worked on by a mostly different team, while the RE2 team work on RE8 or something.

Apparently it was outsourced. Funny thing is it was co-developed by M2. Their SEGA remasters are wonderful, but I wonder if this strictly was just time constraints and what not?

Again, not terrible. I had some fun with it. But I couldn't recommend it at full price either. It's one that I would suggest waiting to pick up when it goes on sale. It's fun for what it is, but compared to RE2 Remake, you can tell it was a bit of an afterthought.

Apparently it was outsourced. Funny thing is it was co-developed by M2. Their SEGA remasters are wonderful, but I wonder if this strictly was just time constraints and what not?

Again, not terrible. I had some fun with it. But I couldn't recommend it at full price either. It's one that I would suggest waiting to pick up when it goes on sale. It's fun for what it is, but compared to RE2 Remake, you can tell it was a bit of an afterthought.
M2 are a small studio that typically focusses on 2D games so that surprises me, but it's cool that they can do stuff like this too, I guess. I'd say time constraints had to be the biggest factor; one year is nothing for a game of this calibre.

Interested to see what people think about the ending here, having been spoiled on all the details...I won’t say anything except that I’m glad I had already been put off by the way they are going above releasing multiple parts.

As far as the RE discussion, while I’ve only enjoyed them secondhand, watching a streamer go through 3 currently and it doesn’t look bad but it’s definitely a much larger change whereas the remakes of the first two games were a lot more faithful or at least had more thought put into them. The idea that the 3 remake was made by less talented people seems pretty spot on given that it was apparently in development at the same time as 2. Even so, I think I’d be much happier with this remake than FF7 if what I read about it is true.

I definitely love Veronica as an all time favorite game, let alone RE, but the story adn characters haven't aged too well, regrettably :/

Nemesis is fun, being the worst relative to an amazing series isn't a bad thihng, but it is often ignored. Each time i get around to replaying, it is fun pace and good time.

Well I am eagerly awaiting April 10th. How big is the install? I imagine the digital version should start downloading either Wednesday or Thursday and I'm kind of curious how big it is and how long it will take to Download.

You know, the stupid thing is I ended up going with the digital version because I really thought that due to the Corona Pandemic that we honestly wouldn't get our hands on a physical copy day one. I really thought it was gonna be a pain in the ass with everything shutting up.

Then Square went and proved me wrong by releasing it physically a fucking week early here in Australia.

Thanks Square <claps>

I can't sincerely complain that much though. It did give me time to play through Resident Evil 3 this weekend and also gives me more time to finish of Doom Eternal before next weekend. Then I can devote my entire Easter Weekend to Final Fantasy VII remake with only Persona 5 Royal on the list of games occupying time (which I will take my sweet ass time with P5 Royale since I already know the story for that game and am in no rush to see it through)

Yesterday GameStop shipped my deluxe edition delivery estimste is april 10th via UPS.

If it's just gonna be a year, that's not too big of a deal I guess. You should probably have enough backlog to play for a year.

So it could be 3 or 4 games then...the fewer the better in my opinion. Games just take too long to make. With 3 games and a fairly tight schedule they could complete it by 2025...

Yeah, I was looking forward to getting it at launch but seeing how it is arriving in installments, I think I'll just leave it until the entire thing is out.

I'm a bit of a Code Veronica hater :whistle: I bought it as soon as I found out a RE game was available on Dreamcast. I loved it at first; it was cinematic, the graphics were amazing, it was more Resident Evil...but as it went on I found the backtracking I loved in other games to be tedious in this one. Annoying, respawning enemies, drab, unscary environments, all culminating in that horrible Tyrant bossfight on the plane, where I saved myself into an unwinnable state and had to start the entire game again to beat it (this happened to tons of people after checking online)...only to find out the next environment, the Arctic base, was even more bland and un-Resident Evil. Yep, I have a lot of problems with CV :p But I'd be open to a remake so they can improve upon the original.

Reminds of this very good breakdown of CV:

Interested to see what people think about the ending here, having been spoiled on all the details...I won’t say anything except that I’m glad I had already been put off by the way they are going above releasing multiple parts.
I haven't reached the end yet (about 9.5hrs in, probably 1/3 done) and know nothing about the ending apart from it being "controversial", but I think it'd be very difficult for the ending to ruin the overall experience for me, which has been excellent so far. Plus, I think a lot of the controversy stems from it taking FFVII in a completely different direction than the original, which I don't care about. I've also heard people say they really liked the ending. Guess I'll find out what I think in ~20 hours.

Last edited:
Back