Fishing Thread - Locations, Records & Tips

Favourite title
Shenmue III
Shenmue III   11_20_2019 6_35_44 AM.png

I thought it might be fun to start a fishing thread as fishing mini-games have always been appealing to me. Shenmue III's fishing game is a ton of fun. I can say none can compare to Final Fantasy XV, but this one tries and there are plenty of secrets yet to unearth. Keep in mind this is an evolving thread; I am progressing through the game slowly on purpose!

- You can rent a fishing rod and fish at a single spot for around 4 hours before Ryo says "I'll pass" ending the fishing program on his own free will!

- Do not attempt to leave your fishing spot because you will be charged readmission to swap locations!

- Unless renting a cheap rod offers different fish or unless you want a challenge, always bet on the highest quality rod and pay the extra fee.

- There are two cameras when fishing. One to see yourself in First-Person, and another Birds Eye View that highlights over the bait area in the top right of the screen. This isn't just a cheap radar and it replicates the objects in the water like vegetation and big rocks, though the fish swimming on the radar do not match up with successfully caught fish.

- Fish can collide into invisible walls in the water much like in Final Fantasy XV. Fish don't seem to break the line here, at least with the high quality rod. They sometimes teleport closer into your direction actually. Getting a fish out of the water really isn't the hard part, it's getting a hefty total weight at the end of your haul.

- There are not a ton of fish that I have found so far, but a decent amount from the holes I've checked. The weight of a top tier fish can surpass 6,000g adding tremendously to your weight total at the end of a run! As of December, we have seen fish surpass 10,000g!

Records

If you are feeling the need to show off your biggest fish, I think here at the Shenmue Dojo would be a great place to do it! Either through your screenshots or video! Post the type of fish, the weight (and height if you wish) and you can also post your record haul in total weight.

Total Weight Record (Single Run)

@kinopio 60,875g

Fish Weight Records

White Catfish 5871g @kamizage | Lake Trout 6,663g @Jezdo Brook Trout 6,516g @Vivi-gamer | Catfish 5,545 @deathofaninja | Trout 4727g @kamizage | European Carp 6583g @kamizage | Common Carp 5386g @deathofaninja | Golden Carp 9873g @kinopio | Snake-head 12177g @kinopio

Bailu Fishing Spot Locations

Shenmue III   11_20_2019 4_05_02 AM.png
Fishing Spot # 1 - East of Verdant Bridge
Available Fish: Carp, Catfish, Trout, Brook Trout, Red Catfish
Shenmue III   11_20_2019 4_04_25 AM.png
Fishing Spot # 2 - Near Joy Park
Available Fish: Trout, Brook Trout, Carp, Catfish, Blue Catfish
Shenmue III   11_20_2019 4_03_25 AM.png
Fishing Spot #3 - Between Village Square and Tackle Shop
Available Fish: Lake Trout, Carp, Crucian Carp, Catfish, White Catfish
Shenmue III   11_20_2019 2_36_08 AM.png
Fishing Spot #4 Close to Tackle Shop
Available Fish: Trout, Lake Trout, Carp, Crucian Carp, Catfish, White Catfish
Shenmue III   11_20_2019 2_07_51 AM.png
Fishing Spot #5 Open Area at Sunflower Grove
Available Fish: Common Carp, Crucian Carp, European Carp, Catfish, Green Catfish
Shenmue III   11_20_2019 4_43_19 AM.png
Fishing Spot #6 Behind House at Sunflower Grove
Available Fish: Common Carp, Golden Carp, Goldfish, Brook Trout, Rainbow Trout
Unlock Requirements: Complete the Mushroom Quest for the old lady at the Panda Market general store and choose the fishing location as your reward.
Shenmue III   11_20_2019 2_47_05 PM.png
Fishing Spot #7 Near Panda Market
Available Fish: Common Carp, Golden Carp (Super Rare Fish), Catfish
Unlock Requirements: Obtain a Soccer Ball from Sack Toss and give to child at the Gift Shop. Choose the pond over the toy capsule to complete the side-quest.

Niaowu Fishing Spot Locations

N1.png
Fishing Spot #1 End of Vendor Avenue
Available Fish: Catfish, Trout, Brook Trout

N2.png
Fishing Spot #2 Wharf
Available Fish: Crucian Carp, Brook Trout, European Trout, Lake Trout

N3.png
Fishing Spot #3 Wharf
Available Fish: Crucian Carp, Goldfish, Trout, Brook Trout

N4.png
Fishing Spot #4 Wharf
Available Fish: Crucian Carp, Gold Fish, Trout

N5.png
Fishing Spot #5 Near Senary Road Leading to Liu Jiao Shrine
Available Fish: Carp, Common Carp, Catfish

N6.png
Fishing Spot #6 Liu Jiao Shrine
Available Fish: Catfish, Trout, Rainbow Trout

N7.png
Fishing Spot #7 Left of Liu Jiao Shrine
Available Fish: Catfish, Common Carp
The best fishing spot in Niaowu for amount of fish caught in a single session!

N8.png
Fishing Spot #8 Behind Save Shenmue Building
Available Fish: Catfish, Common Carp, Snake Head, Trout
The best fishing spot in Niaowu for largest fish! Unlocked from a side-quest similar to the situation in Bailu.

N9.png

Fishing Spot #9 Pier Near the Ferry Terminal
Available Fish: Trout, Brook Trout
Unlocked from side-quest.

Last edited:
Great thread! I adore the fishing in this game. It's super chill and it really reminds me of a slimmed down version of Sega Bass Fishing!

Recently caught this big boy:
Knhmmmr.jpg

@kamizage Nice White Catfish and overall haul! I got up to 21,000 just now but still not enough to beat you! Added additional records, fish locations I have discovered with available fish.

Hope this thread helps!

Don't know yet if the closed fishing spot at Sunflower Grove opens later on in the game.

@deathofaninja Thanks! I got really lucky with the White Catfish. I stood at fishing spot #4 as depicted in the first post and threw my bait as close as possible to the right side of the grass in the water. Don't know if this affects the quality of fish though.
Thanks for the added info regarding all the spots and available fish!

For anyone who won the tournament, does the tackle shop owner mention the fish "might just be the King of Bailu" or something to that effect?

I love it, too. And...
there is a cool fishing challenge where you have to catch 4 specific types of fish in different spots and you get stamps for them. In the end you get a cool jacket for it, I was so happy 😊

I love it, too. And...
there is a cool fishing challenge where you have to catch 4 specific types of fish in different spots and you get stamps for them. In the end you get a cool jacket for it, I was so happy 😊
Cool!
Is it a subquest? Where do you get it?

I love it, too. And...

I admittedly only tried for two afternoons but I could never get
blue catfish at second location. I had expert rod and would aim my line right into heavy/choppy water

Definitely plan to try and go more in depth in my new game plus.

Excuse my super noob question but when can you start fishing? I just beat the

The two thugs, the guy with the spider tattoo and the other guy

Have i just missed the shop or have I not unlocked it yet?

Excuse my super noob question but when can you start fishing? I just beat the

The two thugs, the guy with the spider tattoo and the other guy

Have i just missed the shop or have I not unlocked it yet?

You’ve just missed the shop; I started fishing before the point you’ve reached in the story. Head towards where the temple is but keep going straight and you’ll see it

You’ve just missed the shop; I started fishing before the point you’ve reached in the story. Head towards where the temple is but keep going straight and you’ll see it

Thanks for the tip <3

I admittedly only tried for two afternoons but I could never get
blue catfish at second location. I had expert rod and would aim my line right into heavy/choppy water

Definitely plan to try and go more in depth in my new game plus.
I caught one on my 3rd session there. Try casting right into the choppy water but don't reel in too much. Just twiddle the left stick a bit to move the lure.

This is going to sound stupid but does anyone have tips for reeling them in without making my hand hurt? I have sensitive skin and hands and I was initially palming my right analogue stick to rotate it fast but it made my hand swell up lol. Using my thumb feels slow. Wish there was an alternate reeling system using triggers or something.

For the stamp quest, has anyone got the red catfish (final one) yet? Fishing out of that “cave” thing with the mushrooms and haven’t got it yet

EDIT: Got it! That was the right location after all - not looking forward to doing these on replays lol

Last edited:
Back