Forklifting - How Much Yen?

So, the typical routine is ten crates in the morning, ten in the afternoon, usually finishing at around quarter to four, followed by pulling reverse donuts in the area outside the cafeteria, honking the horn to force other forklifts to back up tremendous distances, blocking off the harbour lounge, and generally making a nuisance of Ryo's self for the final hour.

However, if you have a good run, you can manage up to eleven crates in the morning.
Shenmue_20191031203208.jpg
Here I am having dropped off the eleventh crate just in time for lunch (six in warehouse 8, five in warehouse 18).

Note the messiness of the crate organisation. I remember thinking the crates had to be neatly stacked in order to get paid on my first few playthroughs. When I found out that if the game lets you put a crate down, that's money in the bank, my concern with crate-based aesthetics dropped off considerably.

Anyway, doing an eleven-crate morning leaves even more time in the afternoon for making your co-workers' lives problematic! :giggle:

Last edited:
Shenmue_20191101202925.jpg
Mark goes full hunchback as I clock in a decent race time.

This thread has been awesome! XD

Hisaka's model is very good-looking indeed; not sure if she was modeled on a real person, but if she was, that person must be quite the looker in real-life (rather, was at the time).

This thread has been awesome! XD

Hisaka's model is very good-looking indeed; not sure if she was modeled on a real person, but if she was, that person must be quite the looker in real-life (rather, was at the time).
Thanks! And yeah, Hisaka-san is a secret hottie! :giggle:

Nice job of putting them inside the lines, Ryo! 😛

I just caught up with this thread and it's great. I wonder how long you'll spend buying capsule toys and lighters at the beginning of Shenmue II.

And yeah, Hisaka-san's got that girl next door thing going for her. She's always in her lunch stand uniform, has her hair in a ponytail, and has minimal makeup on. But she's actually super attractive. 😏

Last edited:
Nice job of putting them inside the lines, Ryo! ?

I just caught up with this thread and it's great. I wonder how long you'll spend buying capsule toys and lighters at the beginning of Shenmue II.

And yeah, Hisaka-san's got that girl next door thing going for her. She's always in her lunch stand uniform, has her hair in a ponytail, and has minimal makeup on. But she's actually super attractive. ?
Thanks! :p

Yeah, well my original plan was to spend all the money on capsule toys and lighters etc, but the new plan is to just collect enough stuff to get by with, as I want to have Shenmue 2 beat before Shenmue 3 arrives. I think it would take weeks and weeks in-game to spend over a million yen :LOL:

Hisaka-san lets her hair down, slips into something more comfortable and boom!
giphy (10).gif

Last edited:
Thanks! :p

Yeah, well my original plan was to spend all the money on capsule toys and lighters etc, but the new plan is to just get enough stuff to get by with, as I want to get Shenmue 2 beat before Shenmue 3 arrives. I think it would take weeks and weeks in-game to spend over a million yen :LOL:

Hisaka-san lets her hair down, slips into something more comfortable and boom!
View attachment 5300
Haha, Shenmue IV would be out by the time you were ready to let Wong steal your bag!

Why the hell did the emojis in my last post turn into question marks? Weird. I just edited it and changed them back.

Ok. Today is crunch day. I have time off work and am going to use that time to hopefully blitz through around fifteen in-game days. Maybe (optimistically) even finish Shenmue 1. Having forklifted now for almost four game months, as much as I love it, I am itching to progress the story and continue on Ryo's journey.

IMG_20191107_075410019.jpg
This is my forklift setup. I've been playing Shenmue so long with it, I don't know if I'll be able to use a regular controller any more. Might have to do the 70 man battle with it...

I tried using a variety of PS4 steering wheels to forklift, but couldn't get on with any of them. On the Dreamcast, I'd used a V3 InterAct wheel/pedal setup that I really liked, but obviously it was not available for the PS4. I looked around for a Dreamcast to PS4 controller adapter, but found only Dreamcast to PC.

So I tried looking instead for a PlayStation version of the V3 InterAct wheel, and lo and behold, there was one for the PS1! There was also a PS2 to PS4 controller adapter available, and I hoped that though the wheel was for PS1, it would work anyway. It did, and at that point the endorphins kicked in :D

Shenmue_20191113071134.jpg
Shenmue_20191113071500.jpg
So I finally let Mark tell me his 'big news' and everything pretty much unraveled after that. Thanks Mark.

Anyway, long story short, after 118 days forklifting, I ended up with ¥1,403,096.
Shenmue_20191112214921.jpg
It was also at this moment that I realised which animal Yada-san reminded me of:
this-beaver-could-be-coming-to-cornwall-1-credit-nick-upton.jpg
The good old beaver.

Last edited:
APPENDIX A
Whilst randomly surfing the web, I found a currency conversion rate for yen to pounds sterling for April 1987.

Screenshot_20191113-100233.png

Taking the exchange rate for the 13th of April, I divided total yen earned by value of yen to the pound, giving:

¥1,403,096 ÷ ¥231.4224 = £6062.9

I then took this number and plugged it into a Bank of England inflation rate calculator that I stumbled upon, which gave the following outcome:

Screenshot_20191113-100211.png

Approximately $21,500 US. A lot of money for an 18 year old boy, more than enough to get him to Hong Kong in luxury. Hell, he could have flown first class direct to Kai Tak airport in Kowloon and saved himself some time.

Last edited:
APPENDIX B
Oh dear.

So Ryo steps off the boat in Hong Kong, a highly skilled forkliftsman, pockets bulging with money. Almost HK$47,000.

He has a vision of being robbed, so he proceeds over the next few days to invest his money, mainly in lighters, but also a handful of gems and capsule toys (turns out spending over a million yen is easier than previously thought).

However, no-one told him that he could only carry 255 of any given item. So for almost a whole day, he was buying Jackal and Scorpion lighters, the money was disappearing, but the lighter quantity did not increase.

So, what should have been about 900 lighters was just over 500. What should have been about HK$33,000 was just shy of HK$20,000 ($35 per lighter at Golden Flower pawnshop).

Disappointed, Ryo headed for the Free Stay Lodge. Sensing the presence of a heavy heart, Zhaixian Li offered these words:
Shenmue II_20191113205027.jpg
And with that, Ryo went to bed and fell into a deep, restful sleep.

Last edited:
Is this the end of the saga... will we ever get a Forklift Job III?

What tell me more. Where did you actually got this information?
In one of the backer exclusive ($80 tier) phone conversations. If you call Goro and ask him how Warehouse #8 is doing, he says that they're regular customers of Hokuhoku Lunches. Then he says that Guizhang always acts rude to him when he delivers lunches there but has a huge smile on his face when Hisaka does. Ryo says something like "That probably means that he likes..." and Goro is completely oblivious to what he's talking about.

If you want, I can get an exact transcript.

So, apparently Guizhang has the hots for Hisaka-san too. Truly a man of refined taste.
Heh, yeah I did notice this. At the time, I tried to take a screenshot, but there was a bit of delay (read: I was too slow) and it missed off the text...

Still, Guizhang, you old dog! :LOL:

In one of the backer exclusive ($80 tier) phone conversations. If you call Goro and ask him how Warehouse #8 is doing, he says that they're regular customers of Hokuhoku Lunches. Then he says that Guizhang always acts rude to him when he delivers lunches there but has a huge smile on his face when Hisaka does. Ryo says something like "That probably means that he likes..." and Goro is completely oblivious to what he's talking about.

If you want, I can get an exact transcript.
I see, honestly I don't find that authentic. Guizhang in Shenmue 3 is very weird and out of character. It's like he another person.
Same thing when he plans to meet Xiu Ying.... Because Ryo told Guizhang, that Xiu Ying is beautiful.
Same thing with Nozomi.

Btw, I know Yu Suzuki recently stated in an interview that he didn't get why everyone likes the forklift sequences in Shenmue so much. Apart from breaking my heart, it also made me think. I was planning to write something on it, but this guy eloquently beat me to it.

Back