Formative media

I was watching "Why You Should Watch: Cowboy Bebop" by Super Eyepatch Wolf on YouTube and his explanation on the effects of formative media" really struck a chord with me as a Shenmue fan.

I'm always fascinated by the idea of "formative media."

That is to say, fascinated with the idea of media we consume in our formative years, say from the ages of around 12 to 18 and how that period of our lives affects how we might view it.

Whoever you talk to it's often with the sense of reverence that people discuss their favourite games, TV shows and movies they experienced when they were a teenager but also I think it makes it quite difficult when returning to such media many years later as it's media we experienced when we were arguably at our most vulnerable and least sure of our own identity and something that we may have clung to in a world of whirling hormones and ambiguous hard to grasp social norms.

I think this period of vulnerability means that we consume media with more sensitivity than we do at any other point in our lives and thus respond more strongly to it.

For instance, ask anyone what their favourite Playstation one Final Fantasy is and it will most likely be the one they experienced first in their early adolescence.

It's often with a little trepidation that I go back to games and anime from this period for the reason that it can be a real disappointment to return to one of your favourite series only to find out that it doesn't hold up in the cold light of post-adolescence.

I transcribed the relevant portion above for those who might not give the video a watch but I'd highly recommend his channel, his content, insights and presentation are first rate.

I was watching "Why You Should Watch: Cowboy Bebop" by Super Eyepatch Wolf on YouTube and his explanation on the effects of formative media" really struck a chord with me as a Shenmue fan.

I transcribed the relevant portion above for those who might not give the video a watch but I'd highly recommend his channel, his content, insights and presentation are first rate.
I've seen this video already. Cowboy Debop was one of the most boring things I've watched start to finish. The guy makes good videos though.

I can kinda see the point, but I disagree, as it can apply to anything, including periods of our lives. Likewise the idea or not loving or liking something as much as you once did can often be put down to mood and atmosphere. Conditions have to be aligned correctly.

I see it all the time but I just don’t think it’s the truth for many people. Maybe to the more casual crowd who don’t bother digging any deeper into things they enjoy, they might just stick to the same old stuff, but I think many fandoms tend to be pretty diverse and can have a lot of discussions about which thing might objectively be best or why some things appeal more to others.

Just as an example, people talk about this “Zelda cycle” wherein each new game makes the previous one the fan favorite and the new one gets all the hate. Looking at actual reception it holds no water really, but even then it’s also not entirely exclusive to this series and nor is it just some magic thing that happens just because. It’s inevitable critics will pick apart something new and compare to the most recent entry, and may well find things they took for granted and did not fully appreciate before.

Wind Waker was not my first Zelda, I have replayed it plenty over the years, and it is still my favorite game now. Even so, I get new favorites all the time. Nearing my 30s am I still in my formative years? I just don’t think people can be broken down this way.

it can apply to anything, including periods of our lives.
I don't disagree with that.

Likewise the idea or not loving or liking something as much as you once did can often be put down to mood and atmosphere.
And a number of other things, a big one being the quality of the thing itself, even if mood and atmosphere were identical some things that you loved equally would "stand the test of time" whilst others wouldn't .

I see it all the time but I just don’t think it’s the truth for many people. Maybe to the more casual crowd
The "casual crowd" are "many people", perhaps even the majority of people, especially after those formative years.

Back