Game of thrones

One thing I will say after rewatching the episode, I mean yea, me and my buddy came up with over 20 plot holes right off the top of our heads...

But,

Regardless of her terribly rushed turn, I've never wanted Cersis head on a silver plate as much as I want Danerys' and Greyworms by the end of the finale. Watching all of those innocents die (another plothole is that I shouldn't care since they were the same fuckers calling for Neds head), watching women and children indiscriminately burned to death just really struck a dark chord with me. I mean, pure anger, and I don't give a shit how it happens, but I want those murdering bastards dead come the end of this all.

Regardless if I think Danys madness made sense or tracks (I don't. I think it was foreshadowed but I don't think they did enough to sell it and the writing was quite poor) in the end I believe what's they did is immoral and indefensible.
Especially Dany, she needs to go.

- A former Dany Fan.

I liked the episode, well, I liked it better than the last which was a train wreck.

I believe in Dany's derangement, she's alone in a hostile place, she's lost friends, she's been betrayed, she's lost children, her army has been hurt, she is not welcome, her whole life has led up to this and it's too little too late. She's always been arrogant, entitled and naive, though she had the potential to grow, she would have made a good fair queen had she stayed across the sea. Hell, she would have been happy too. They really should have build it up more though, like a gradual decend into paranoia over the last two seasons, not wham bam thank you mam in what two episodes? Character wise it will now kind of only make sense if she breaks completely under the realization of what she has done, though the preview makes me pessimistic of such a logical turn.

I've loved this season and how unpredictable it has been. They captured the terror of war so perfectly in that last episode, it was genuinely chilling. The mad queen has to die, all hail king Gendry Baratheon

The petition to have it rewritten is just about the lamest thing an adult could participate in. The only issue I have is that it feels rushed and could have benefited from being spread out across more episodes.

I've loved this season and how unpredictable it has been. They captured the terror of war so perfectly in that last episode, it was genuinely chilling. The mad queen has to die, all hail king Gendry Baratheon

The petition to have it rewritten is just about the lamest thing an adult could participate in. The only issue I have is that it feels rushed and could have benefited from being spread out across more episodes.

Yep, I think for me it's just not gone the way I had imagined in my mind, but hey that'll heal in time and I'll move on with things and accept it. You've hit the nail on the head with what I think the underlined reason for our negative perceptions of the series are, and that's the decision to have this be played over a pitiful 6 episodes.

Why 6 episodes!?

Yep, I think for me it's just not gone the way I had imagined in my mind, but hey that'll heal in time and I'll move on with things and accept it. You've hit the nail on the head with what I think the underlined reason for our negative perceptions of the series are, and that's the decision to have this be played over a pitiful 6 episodes.

Why 6 episodes!?

Yup, as mentioned, too slow a build up for so much stuff. On the bright side I've no clue whatsoever on what to expect come Monday which is rather unusual and quite exciting.

Also loved Cleaganebowl. That was epic. Lena Headley should also be praised for that "excuse me while I just slither past here thank you".

10/10 ending episode.

Felt so good and yea there were bumps in the road, but they nailed the landing.

For anyone who thinks this was their made up version, I'd be inclined to say this is all GRRMs story. In the very first trailer you see this:

They knew all along.

Concluding the story was never going to be an easy task so props to the writers on this one.

All things considered, I feel they wrapped things up neatly enough.

Arya going West feels like a setup for a potential spin-off which I'd be totally down with. And I have to wonder if Bran deliberately sent Jon to Castle Black knowing he would escape punishment and live a free life beyond the wall with the Freefolk. Clever plan if so.

The biggest takeaway i had from the entire episode, was how it felt like something huge was lifted from my shoulders. I felt free, like i was walking on air again. It is finally over. It's done. A journey i've been on for 7 years.

If this is how i feel now that Game of Thrones has ended, how the fuck am i going to feel in August!!!

I need to stay away from this topic now but cheers for putting spoiler alerts at least! Have to wait until late this evening to watch ?

Ok so just watching and I really feel like I should do what I did as a hungover student back in way back when I watched all of season 1 in one sitting. Watch this whole season in one sitting. Because hacked into bits it is pretty underwhelming (although yes I cried or teared up several times this round).

Negative bits out of the way; pretty OK with this ending. Sure, several big names off, bit odd "here comes democracy!" (At least for parts of the realm), but all in all an ending I am happy with which I did not ever expect from a show I have been following for 8 years. Bit same feeling as the end of the Wheel of Time book series (which is now up for TV pant pant) that wasn't even finished by the main author (but did a darn good job!). Like ok, this is ok. Still rate last episode a solid 9/10 though, talk about amazing TV.

Up until the finale I wasn't so fussed about how the story was being rushed as the excitement made up for it but that last episode felt like it could have been a season in itself. I'm fine with everything that happened but it would have benefited from more episodes to flesh it out.

Bad:
-Danny was killed but the only fallout we saw was a slightly miffed Grey Worm.
-Grey Worm went from 'shut up traitor Gimp you will be killed' to 'good point, all hail king Bran' in the space of five minutes.
-Jon being a Targaryen, Arya killing the woman with green eyes, Jon being Azor Ahai, all but forgotten and pointless.

Good:
-They captured the post-war feel very well. A quiet emptiness, emphasising the pointlessness of it
-Brienne penning Jamie's legacy
-The Starks coming out on top and ruling all of Westeros is fitting espesh since they're descendants of the first men
-Of the remaining characters the endings were fitting

To me, it’s not over until the books are (whenever that is)

Anyway, I’m surprised that
Jon or Tyrion didn’t ask for a trial by combat. I think Tyrion should have recommended to Jon that he should ask for a trial by combat, and he could fight Greyworm to the death. That way, they can put their conflict there.

As for Bran as the Three Eyed Crow, I think he has a longer lifespan and will reign for over 100 years

The show has a lot unanswered, but I’m sure the books can address some of them especially with
Lady Stoneheart and that
Sansa never left Kingslanding and she never married Ramsay

This is spot on, lol. As someone who was still invested but increasingly disenchanted since Season 5, I was pretty forgiving of Season 8. I thoroughly enjoyed the battle of Winterfell and the scouring of King's Landing in Ep. 3 and 5. But that finale was super meh.

It's not even where the dust settled that bothered me, but rather how it was presented. Yes, Season 8 was rushed but not due to the fact it was only 6 episodes. Eps. 1, 2, and 4 were a total slog. But Seasons 5 and 6 dragged and went nowhere for so long, they had no choice but to wrap things up quickly.

First of all, what happened after Drogon flew away with Dany? Did Jon just go and tell Grey Worm that he killed her and that Drogon flew off with her? I mean, that's awkward that you just murder the Queen and don't even have the evidence to back it up.

Also, how the fuck was there no fallout from this? The Dothraki and the Unsullied were OK with simply locking up the dude who murdered their queen, then let all his buddies convene and pick his step brother/cousin/whatever as the new king? And then let the new King's sister secede from the Seven Kingdoms and rule the North? What the actual fuck?

Also, Bran's plotline went to absolute shit since he turned into the 3-eyed raven. What was he doing during the Battle of Winterfell, anyway? That was never explained. Why would you Warg into a bird to keep an eye on the battle when you literally know everything, anyway?

I'm not too upset with Jaime's arc. I think it makes some sort of sense that he'd go back to her, and I did enjoy their final scene together. But they literally could have been standing 30 feet to the right and have had survived. Sorry but Arya should have killed Cersei, even if it destroyed her in the process. Why was her Faceless powers never even used or referenced since she got revenge on the Freys?

It's pretty difficult to finish a magnum opus satisfactorily, I'm sure. I remember being mostly OK with Harry Potter and Dark Tower endings but still thinking it could have gone other places. I don't know if GRRM actually has a better ending in mind than what we just saw. It actually has me a little worried for Shenmue because I'm not confident I'm going to love where the story ends up, the first two games were so perfect and the intrigue of NOT knowing what's coming kinda preserves the story so far.

Back