Games you kinda dislike that everyone else loves...?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Tekken 7 (always Tekken 7)
PSN
danmann861
Steam
danielmann861
We all have them...we all have those games that we kind of dislike and don't see the hype behind. So I'm curious...what are they for you lot?

Pre-Rules: No judging other peoples picks; keep it fair and civil; debate is welcome but no personal attacks...you know the drill. Keep it civil. Fair play to anyone who enjoys any games mentioned in this thread...you are free to enjoy whatever you want in life :D...but I am just genuinely curious about opinions because I know we all have those games that are so loved yet don't click personally speaking. So have at it and please keep it civil. It's okay to simply agree to disagree.

Because I've got a few.
----------------------------------------------------------------

God of War -- I loved the original PS2 games, but I actually can't stand the sequel from last year. I thought that game not only completely neutered Kratos but also felt like complete GOTY Bait aimed directly at the critics who once sniffed their nose at the franchise and never gave a damn about it. All I can say is I played it once and I deleted it from my hard drive as soon as I was done with it. Whereas I've played the original games many times over.

Why? Because that new GOW has zero replay value. It's long stretches of walking to mask loading times for its admittedly pretty visuals, with boring ripped off Dark Souls combat that really ain't that great, the story is weak as weak could be, the RPG mechanics pretend to add depth but are really mostly just useless, the lack of any memorable bosses was noticeable, the enemy design was very generic. It's supposed to be some maturing of the franchise?...I just found it boring as all hell and a complete neutering of the franchise to appeal to the critics who disliked the franchise in the past.

The true definition of GOTY bait aimed at the critics who thought they were above the original franchise and thought Kratos was just angry dude with no depth (showing that they never really actually played the franchise considering the PSP games were all about showing us a different side to Kratos...hell even the original game showed us clear regret in what he did.)

Yeah, sorry, that game was forgettable trash made by someone who clearly has an inferiority complex about the medium he is working in. Hence the whole "it's not a game script...it's like a movie script!" Bah, you're making a game. Be proud of the medium you work in! Fair play if you did enjoy it, but to me? That game was forgettable trash.

Borderlands -- I tried getting into Borderlands when it first released but I just couldn't get into it. At all. I think it was like 5 hours in and I shut it off and never came back to it. It just bored me to tears.

Assasins Creed 2 -- I think this was the game that made me realize I hate Ubisoft and their open world games. I feel like their open world games are just checklist bullshit that never really invite me to be apart of them. I really think this is the game that made me realize Ubisoft open world games are not for me because in hindsight, I find most Ubi Open World games to be the same carbon copy cut and paste check list crap.

Watch Dogs 2 -- See above. I got the Platinum for this and I don't know why? I hated almost every minute of doing it. I think this was when I was in my "just do it! It's an easy platinum" phase, but looking back on it? I did not enjoy this game at all. I forced myself to platinum this and it is one that I actively hated every minute of doing. Other than that? What a shame! The idea of Watch Dogs is WAY more interesting on paper than it is in execution.

Wolfenstien II: The New Colossus -- Never finished it. Couldn't stand the hub world between missions. Was enough to turn me off from finishing it.

Super Mario Odyssey -- Played it recently on my newly acquired Switch Lite on train trips to work and back...not a big fan of it. Found it kind of boring. No real challenge to it, at all. Even the one interesting mechanic (Cappy) feels completely and utterly wasted as they didn't really do an interesting thing with it. Yeah, I really quite disliked it...and I don't hate Mario by any means, but I like Mario to have at least a bit of challenge..this felt brain dead easy to a degree that I just didn't like it at all.

Mario Kart -- I wouldn't say I hate Mario Kart but I do find it funny that there are people out there who still think it's the benchmark for all kart games when other kart games have long since surpassed it (CTR, Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed etc)...I don't know, it amuses me that people still think Mario Kart is the be all end all for kart games when others have left it long behind.

Medal of Honor (the 2009 reboot that tried to be like COD) -- Ever play a game that felt like a complete betrayl of everything you loved about the original games as it tried desperately to mimic the big bad dog in the field? This is one of those games for me.

Dead Space 3 -- I really liked the first two Dead Space games and thought EA had a Resident Evil contender on their hands...but I just could never get into the third game. I think the third game killed it. Shame, could have been a real RE contender.

Batman Arkham City -- I really LOVED Arkham Asylum but for whatever reason, the sequels just never lived up to Arkham Asylum for me. Be it that they added too many villians in one hit or the fact that I prefered the contained map of Arkham Asylum over the more open ended City layout. I don't know...I can't say I hated Arkham City but it just didn't have the same charm as Arkham Asylum did for me. It never got me in the same way AA did.

Last edited:
This is a weird one for me ( love me some deep story RPG fare ) as I both love it and hate parts of it that has gotten in the way of finishing it. Also I am not a graphics whore but what I'm about to say will relate to this game which is....... drum roll, please: The witcher 3. Before I begin I really do have to stress I love this game when it gets going and it should have and could've been a lot better if it weren't for these shortcomings and I like CDproject for what they do despite trying to foist their failures on the consoles, which is complete bullshit and I expect better from them as that only gave fuel to the fire of the downgrade acusations. Also my expectations may have been set too high with how brilliant The Witcher 2 art, visual and fidelity looked not just on PC but also the 360 version.

1.) Open world: I feel something was lost in the change to OW with a lot of copy n paste areas that look like someone left the procedurally generated middleware do its thing without thinking "maybe we need to add a bit of handcrafted love to this bit of the map" because these areas look no better than an asset flip game on Steam. Then we get to the world size, it's way too fucking big and 30 to 40% should've been cut out entirely as the game would've been better for it with way less obvious copy paste moments.

Graphics.) Not that bullshit downgrade nonsense people like to shout about ( HZD & RDR2 prove it wasn't a hardware power issue ) but the games general inconsistency with ( PC included ) at times muddy looking draw LODs, repeated NPC way too much, the crappy rain texture effects, some truly godafull and I'm not being hyperbolic when I say certain textures look straight out of the PS2 era and how about that next-gen grass, eh. Now it can look absolutely beautiful in the right light and in the right area but it's just not good enough most of the time when you get taken out of the experience one too many times. It's the most weird looking, awful looking and beautiful looking game I've ever played.

Wind physics.) Wind physics in this game..... is weird and annoying. Look it up on youtube, nuff said.

Roach.) Utterly useless ( horse racing aside ), controls like a drunk guy at the wheel of a tank.

Geralts quips.) 5min after raining Geralt will inform " it looks like rain or winds howling" which is a pro and a con as I find it hilarious and infuriating all at the same time.

Combat.) The only real problem is the hit detection is way off and it can get a tad repetitive.

Underwater.) Looks horrible underwater. I can't see shit when I'm in Skellige waters, it's all just a black void.

And finally everyone thinks it's this amazing revolutionary new thing that did stuff no one else did before it. This isn't true at all as bioware were knocking the story stuff years ago and to be honest this game did NOT need an open world for, consider what you actually do in it, to be good, as the 2nd game proved that point. Plus the graphics could have been boosted massively as a result with less bugs at launch to boot.
The funny thing is I absolutely adore the Blood and Wine expansion which also happens to have that consistent look much like The Witcher 2 and the size of the area is just right being not too big or too small.

MGS3 is fucking wank. And that ending... Fuck me, why does she spend three bleeding hours saying the same shit over and over? We get it, she was a mole who willingly took the fall. Nobody cares. And how did you record all this without awaked Nake Snaking?

Every Sony exlusive game of the ps4 era (minus Days Gone and The order 1886)

I liked the old God of War games on the PS2 and Ps3. Would not consider myself as a fan of the Franchise, but they were decent games and entertained my enough to finish them without the danger of falling asleep.

Now to the reboot. It is a generic open worldish Third Person RPG in the Witcher style. Good graphics but that's it. It missed the uniqueness of the original God of War game.

Now to Horizon Zero Dawn. Another genric phantasy open world game. Good graphics again but that's it. It really looks like that Sony devs are the perfect Witcher Fanboys and want to copy the Witcher series in every game they make.

The open world craze in that gen is so annoying for my liking.

Spiderman and Days Gone have the open world Virus too, but unlike the generic fantasy stuff, Spiderman and Days gone have a more appealing Setting for me. Thanks to the Setting I can bare the open world Segments much better.

And it also fun to swing around New York City with good old Spiderman, or drive through the Oregon Wilderness with Deacon St Johns Drifter bike.:LOL:

If the Setting is appealing to me I can live with the open world Segments. it is proberly just the fantasy tone of Horizon and God of War that puts me off that much.

I was never a fan that Settings in the first place.

Death Stranding might get place on the list as well. But I cannot Judge it before I have played it like I have played the other games I did not like. But it will take some time before I can rate that game.. I am not going to buy it until it is on sale.

Every Sony exlusive game of the ps4 era (minus Days Gone and The order 1886)

I liked the old God of War games on the PS2 and Ps3. Would not consider myself as a fan of the Franchise, but they were decent games and entertained my enough to finish them without the danger of falling asleep.

Now to the reboot. It is a generic open worldish Third Person RPG in the Witcher style. Good graphics but that's it. It missed the uniqueness of the original God of War game.

Now to Horizon Zero Dawn. Another genric phantasy open world game. Good graphics again but that's it. It really looks like that Sony devs are the perfect Witcher Fanboys and want to copy the Witcher series in every game they make.

The open world craze in that gen is so annoying for my liking.

Spiderman and Days Gone have the open world Virus too, but unlike the generic fantasy stuff, Spiderman and Days gone have a more appealing Setting for me. Thanks to the Setting I can bare the open world Segments much better.

And it also fun to swing around New York City with good old Spiderman, or drive through the Oregon Wilderness with Deacon St Johns Drifter bike.:LOL:

If the Setting is appealing to me I can live with the open world Segments. it is proberly just the fantasy tone of Horizon and God of War that puts me off that much.

I was never a fan that Settings in the first place.

Death Stranding might get place on the list as well. But I cannot Judge it before I have played it like I have played the other games I did not like. But it will take some time before I can rate that game.. I am not going to buy it until it is on sale.

Yeah, I'm kind of there with you to some degree at least. I loved Sony's first party output in the PS3 era...I thought they were at their most creatively rewarding during that era. This era? I can't say I've loved most of their stuff...I've either been lukewarm on their stuff or not cared about it.

The Order: 1886 -- Wow, that was crap! Best forgotten. Shame too considering that developer made some awesome PSP God of War titles...maybe they should have put them to work on the Vita instead.

Uncharted 4 -- I loved the first three Uncharted games, but I found this to be a complete chore at times. I think it took too much from The Last of Us and forgot what made Uncharted so damn enjoyable. Uncharted is at it's best when it's Pulp Action Adventure B movie. I felt they tried to implement too much of the super serious side from The Last of Us and lost what made Uncharted what it was. I would much rather have seen Amy Henig's Uncharted 4 over Neil Druckman's final product.

The Last Guardian -- I actually did really love TLG and would consider it one of my favourite games of this generation. So there's one for Sony (for me at least)...it was the one exclusive that did deliver for me....but I'm a self confessed Ueda fanboy. So maybe it was only predictable I was gonna love it.

Horizon: Zero Dawn -- Never finished it. Persona 5 came out and took over my world. I spent 100 plus hours with P5 and never came back to finish Horizon. And I still haven't finished it to this day....what I played was okay, but clearly it wasn't good enough to reel me back in to see it through.

Until Dawn -- Actually I enjoyed this more than I expected. Gave me good vibes of classic Friday the 13th movies I loved as a kid. Had a surprisingly good time with it.

Detroit: Become Human -- I was enjoying until the end when it went full on David Cage stupid. Shame, I did enjoy the first half of it though.

Spider-man -- I liked it, but at the same time, completely disposable and forgettable. Much like how I feel about the bulk of Marvel movies in general...enjoyed it while it lasted...but had no lasting impact on me.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy -- With exception of that one small open world area, I actually enjoyed this more than U4. This one at least felt like it had the right pacing and attitude that matched an Uncharted game. Didn't out stay its welcome and I liked playing as Chloe in this. Felt much better than Uncharted 4 did to me.

inFamous: Second Son -- Was a HUGE inFamous fan...loved 1 and 2 so damn much on PS3...thought this completely dropped the ball. Didn't give two craps about the new protag. Didn't like it. Thought it was a let down...really hoping they deliver with Ghosts of Tsushima though.

Driveclub -- Better than it was given credit for but still, it's launch was an absolute clusterfuck and killed the game and studio entirely.

God of War -- See above...hated it! Really did not care for this game at all. One of the most overrated pieces of Last of Us cloned junk that I've played in a long time..."but it reads like a movie script, you guys...it's (self) important"

Death Stranding -- Still haven't started it so my verdict is still out on it...please prove me wrong Kojima. I know I've been down on the game, but I am hoping it proves me wrong...but something tells me it won't.

Any Dark Souls Type Game - I'm really not a competitive gamer, so when I see games thrive of their difficulty for difficulties sake it simply doesn't appeal to me. I tried Demons Souls, selected a class after the explanation gave you very little indication to how the class would play out ( I swear they need to have training rooms built in the same way fighting games to for these situations) - Picked a guy with a spear, lunged forward to attack my 1st encounter, missed by micro-mm's and was left open to death. I don't mind a challenge in a game but these games seem set on purposefully making games difficult for the sake of it and that just doesn't appeal to me.

Any type of Trial and Error game -
I recently played Little Nightmares and while I love the style and the aesthetic the trial and error gameplay really began to tick me off. I don't like games that are too vague in the objective to the point where it is frustrating. And having moments where the pace of the experience is constantly hault and the same segment is reset again and again is frustrating beyond believe.

Horizon Zero Dawn
- I wanted to get into this, and really loved the 1st few hours while you were growing up in the camp, but as soon as the open world nature kicked in the structure of this game collapsed. I apparently reached a point in the game within 5 hours that my friend did in 20-30 hours. I saw all these side objectives appear and did a few but found it to be very generic quests we've all seen before. So I aimed to get to the next objective and found myself passing landscape after landscape with no progress. Until reached the next objective and I was very under prepared. It was just a very jarring experience something I have had with many open world games like Metal Gear Solid V & Final Fantasy XV.

Last edited:
Ok, here we go:

FF VII; thought it was atrociously boring when it first came out and there's a bit of retroactive dislike as well, as it helped kill PDS (as if PDS had a fighting chance anyways lol), which is an infinitely superior game in almost every way.

SMB: Still think Miracle World is a better game (looks better, plays just as well, much better premise and world, etc.). Also think every Mario title is not stellar in the slightest, aside from 64; well-crafted game, that one.

Street Fighter: I absolutely acknowledge its place in gaming history, but I still think it is boringly repetitive and not nearly as strategic as the early MK titles. Sure, sprites looks worse than SF's in-game looks, but I've always felt that MK plays much better than SF. Also, the characters I feel are shitty, outside of a handful, though I am thankful for the universe, as it spawned Final Fight :D.

Have more, but I'm good for now.

Yeah, I'm kind of there with you to some degree at least. I loved Sony's first party output in the PS3 era...I thought they were at their most creatively rewarding during that era. This era? I can't say I've loved most of their stuff...I've either been lukewarm on their stuff or not cared about it.

The Order: 1886 -- Wow, that was crap! Best forgotten. Shame too considering that developer made some awesome PSP God of War titles...maybe they should have put them to work on the Vita instead.

Uncharted 4 -- I loved the first three Uncharted games, but I found this to be a complete chore at times. I think it took too much from The Last of Us and forgot what made Uncharted so damn enjoyable. Uncharted is at it's best when it's Pulp Action Adventure B movie. I felt they tried to implement too much of the super serious side from The Last of Us and lost what made Uncharted what it was. I would much rather have seen Amy Henig's Uncharted 4 over Neil Druckman's final product.

The Last Guardian -- I actually did really love TLG and would consider it one of my favourite games of this generation. So there's one for Sony (for me at least)...it was the one exclusive that did deliver for me....but I'm a self confessed Ueda fanboy. So maybe it was only predictable I was gonna love it.

Horizon: Zero Dawn -- Never finished it. Persona 5 came out and took over my world. I spent 100 plus hours with P5 and never came back to finish Horizon. And I still haven't finished it to this day....what I played was okay, but clearly it wasn't good enough to reel me back in to see it through.

Until Dawn -- Actually I enjoyed this more than I expected. Gave me good vibes of classic Friday the 13th movies I loved as a kid. Had a surprisingly good time with it.

Detroit: Become Human -- I was enjoying until the end when it went full on David Cage stupid. Shame, I did enjoy the first half of it though.

Spider-man -- I liked it, but at the same time, completely disposable and forgettable. Much like how I feel about the bulk of Marvel movies in general...enjoyed it while it lasted...but had no lasting impact on me.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy -- With exception of that one small open world area, I actually enjoyed this more than U4. This one at least felt like it had the right pacing and attitude that matched an Uncharted game. Didn't out stay its welcome and I liked playing as Chloe in this. Felt much better than Uncharted 4 did to me.

inFamous: Second Son -- Was a HUGE inFamous fan...loved 1 and 2 so damn much on PS3...thought this completely dropped the ball. Didn't give two craps about the new protag. Didn't like it. Thought it was a let down...really hoping they deliver with Ghosts of Tsushima though.

Driveclub -- Better than it was given credit for but still, it's launch was an absolute clusterfuck and killed the game and studio entirely.

God of War -- See above...hated it! Really did not care for this game at all. One of the most overrated pieces of Last of Us cloned junk that I've played in a long time..."but it reads like a movie script, you guys...it's (self) important"

Death Stranding -- Still haven't started it so my verdict is still out on it...please prove me wrong Kojima. I know I've been down on the game, but I am hoping it proves me wrong...but something tells me it won't.
Hey Daniel, have you tried out Bloodborne yet. It's the only exclusive missing in your list.

The Last of Us : Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game, but not that great. And Elly (spelling?) is not that great of a video game character. And the ending could have been so much better but of course they wanted Elly in the sequel.

I once heard someone describe The Last of Us as having characters like Tess who were so complex, they were on par with the enigmatic Maria from Silent Hill 2.

Hey Daniel, have you tried out Bloodborne yet. It's the only exclusive missing in your list.

Can’t say I’m a big Soulsbourne guy (to be brutually honest)....it’s not that I hate those games, I just haven’t spent any time with them...to be honest, all the talk about how brutally difficult they are kind of put me off from trying them...so no real opinion on any of those types of games since I haven’t played any of them.

That and the combat just looks a bit too janky for my liking. I kind of prefer combat to be a bit faster paced, a bit tighter (something like maybe Ninja Gaiden scratches my itch -- where it's difficult but fast and fun too)

Everyone tells me "...but you like fighting games! These are totally up your alley!" but the combat in most of those games just looked too slow and janky for my liking...but other than that no real opinion on them.

Last edited:
Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim

Just don't get why people enjoy the game. It looks like ass (without mods granted), runs like shit on anything that's not a PC, combat is so fucking terrible that it made me stop playing, identical looking dungeons, caves, forts, bad voice acting with only a tiny number of VAs to record said dialogue. Main story was nothing to write home about from what I played, side content was good, definitely see the appeal in that but I just couldn't enjoy it. I gave up and played Horizon Zero Dawn and Hokuto Ga Gotoku instead, and damn did I enjoy them so much more!

Animal Crossing is another one. I understand why people like it, but the lack of direction or point plus requirement to play the game daily to get the most out of it... felt like the trappings of a GaaS game though not quite so pushy.

Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim

You and me both, man. I've tried in the past...but I couldn't make it past five hours. It just was not doing it for me.

I have plenty, but I will mention just one and that would be Sonic Mania. I really do not understand the praise around a game that is just Sonic 3 and Knuckles spruced up with modern graphics. I don't think it's a bad game by any means, just overrated.

Last edited:
A few couple from me:

1.) Dead Island

Due to a critical save bug on the physical vanilla version without any internet to DL patches at the time, I keep freaking losing my progress so I quit the game. I was so dam fed up with having to restart the game all over again and "Who do you Vodoo bitch!?" was starting to get on my nerve. Never looked back after pawning the game away.

2.) Shadow of the colossus

I respect this title for what it brings to the table, but I just never got into the fandom camp. The game is cryptic as all heck lore wise, and the entire game is just one huge drawn out boss gauntlet. Ico was a more charming prequel(?) game imo.

3.) Halo

A protag(master-chief) who's face you never get to see nor emote is just unlikable and doesn't do it for me.

Let’s see...

Skyrim - I’m not huge into Elder Scrolls as it is but even just compared to Oblivion it feels very watered down

Fallout 4 - Feels too much like 3 but once again a ton of features are missing

Super Mario Odyssey - I like a lot of the ideas here but it just doesn’t feel as novel as Galaxy and I feel many moons could have been cut to make others more involved

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Promised way too much too early and changed a ton, and the end product had a scope that was way bigger than it actually was and motion controls that weren’t worth the delay, both things fixed by a Breath of the Wild and Skyward Sword thankfully.

Metroid - Compared to other classic NES titles it feels like this one has aged the worst.

Grand Theft Auto V - Seems Rockstar was trying to gain success off of San Andreas nostalgia, without actually including much of what made it good, while cutting out the more sophisticated physics from IV

Saints Row 3 - Just meh compared to 2. I didn’t like IV or Gat as much as 2 but at least they were unique

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Extremely disappointing for an mgs title in just about every way

Death Stranding - A lot of the same problems as mgsv but also stuff on the opposite extreme, very little is actually fun or engaging about it

Back