Games you kinda dislike that everyone else loves...?

Two more games I dislike that people tend to enjoy are Devil May Cry IV and Pocket Monsters Black and White.

Devil May Cry IV is an incomplete, watered down, broken mess of a game. According to Capcom, the game’s development time was cut by a year and it shows, the fact that you have to constantly backtrack once as Nero and once as Dante, fighting the same bosses, along with supposedly missing story content. Nero from a gameplay standpoint, is an inferior Dante with inferior combo potential and Dante while maintaining his Devil May Cry III move set, has his Devil Arms nerfed. The only good thing this game introduced was style switching on the fly (which is meaningless now with Devil May Cry III Special Edition on Switch being released). The Special Edition only exacerbated these problems even further while not fixing the problems of the vanilla version. Vergil is simply overpowered and Lady and Trish are nothing more than copy paste move sets from other characters. While its not as bad as Devil May Cry II, it’s still one of the weaker entries in the series in my opinion.

Pocket Monsters Black and White for some reason is applauded for its story and I don’t understand why. I’ll admit that the premise that the Plasma Gang initially bring up about Pocket Monsters relationships with humans is interesting. However at the end of the day, the story falls into the cliche “Pokémon are our friends” moral as if the writers didn’t know what to do with the interesting idea they set up. In other words, the story went from grey morality back into the typical black and white morality. Also I do not find N to be a sympathetic character, just a sheltered and naive man who never questioned anyone who lied to him.

Last edited:
Same. I tried getting into it and found it completely insipid in the same way many other AAA productions are. Bullet sponges, hand-holding gameplay, dumb puzzles, too many cinematics. Blah. Judgment was the right game for me to move on to.

How much is Judgement similar to Shenmue?? I've heard of it but never gave it a serious look. First impressions it looks like a carbon copy of Yakuza, which I have no interest it.

Two more games I dislike that people tend to enjoy are Devil May Cry IV and Pocket Monsters Black and White.

Devil May Cry IV is an incomplete, watered down, broken mess of a game. According to Capcom, the game’s development time was cut by a year and it shows, the fact that you have to constantly backtrack once as Nero and once as Dante, fighting the same bosses, along with supposedly missing story content. Nero from a gameplay standpoint, is an inferior Dante with inferior combo potential and Dante while maintaining his Devil May Cry III move set, has his Devil Arms nerfed. The only good thing this game introduced was style switching on the fly (which is meaningless now with Devil May Cry III Special Edition on Switch being released). The Special Edition only exacerbated these problems even further while not fixing the problems of the vanilla version. Vergil is simply overpowered and Lady and Trish are nothing more than copy paste move sets from other characters. While its not as bad as Devil May Cry II, it’s still one of the weaker entries in the series in my opinion.
Agreed. I also hated this that in DMC 5 they decided to add 3 more characters instead of fixing DMC 4's problems.

But still I prefer 4 over 5 any day. Yeah maybe 4 had backtracking but it had much more variety in environment compare to 5. 4 also forces you to play as 2 characters instead of 3.

How much is Judgement similar to Shenmue?? I've heard of it but never gave it a serious look. First impressions it looks like a carbon copy of Yakuza, which I have no interest it.

It is a spinoff game from the Ryu ga Gotoku/Yakuza series so yes, it is very similar.

I don't know why you wouldn't play it though; it's easily one of the 3 best games of 2018/2019 (notice that I'm putting BOTH years here) and arguably the best game of last year.

Phenomenal, 10/10 (rounded!) title.

Back