Games You Like if You Like Shenmue

My other fav games are :

Sleeping Dogs
Triad Wars
Yakuza
Saints Row

these all have some similarities to Shenmue.

Any other game recommendations from people ?

My other fav games are :

Sleeping Dogs
Triad Wars
Yakuza
Saints Row

these all have some similarities to Shenmue.

Any other game recommendations from people ?
cover2.jpg

Nothing. No joke, I have never played a game like Shenmue before. I wish I could find one, but it doesn't seem like one exists.

I'm surprised you put Saints Row in your list, I can't see any similarities at all. I'm curious to know what similarities you think they have.

Nothing. No joke, I have never played a game like Shenmue before. I wish I could find one, but it doesn't seem like one exists.

I'm surprised you put Saints Row in your list, I can't see any similarities at all. I'm curious to know what similarities you think they have.
Thereโ€™s a fighting Octagan in one of the saints row. That reminds me of the fighting in Shen Mue

I think sleeping dogs comes very close
The environment is Hong Kong and very similar. The fighting system is similar too.

Yeah, I'm kind of there with you. I haven't really played anything that has come close to Shenmue...ever. For better or worse, it is truly unique.

I can see maybe aspects of it in other games, but as a whole? It's one of a kind.

Nothing is really simular to Shenmue, that's what the problem is.

However the closest games to such would be the older King's Quest games, Romancing Saga 2, Uncharter Waters: New Horizons(note there's a MMO version of it called UWO, It's amazing), and for something newer, definitely check out Elite Dangerous.

Those are the closest you get to a Shenmue game, yet they are still very different.

THE closest experience to a 'mue game, is nothing that has been mentioned in this thread, I feel.

2 Quantic Dream games (for different reasons), are the closest, in Omikron and Heavy Rain (the former, more so than the latter).

'mue has multiple genres in its titles, is about as Open World as you can get and has you doing detective-like searching and adventure gameplay.

Omikron is 85% 'mue in terms of mechanics and playstyle (though it isn't nearly as good of a game) and HR's main gameplay mechanics are featured prominently (if not heavily) in all of the 'mue titles.

Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row are more like Yakuza, which are NOT like Shenmue, for the 50 millionth time.

THE closest experience to a 'mue game, is nothing that has been mentioned in this thread, I feel.

2 Quantic Dream games (for different reasons), are the closest, in Omikron and Heavy Rain (the former, more so than the latter).

'mue has multiple genres in its titles, is about as Open World as you can get and has you doing detective-like searching and adventure gameplay.

Omikron is 85% 'mue in terms of mechanics and playstyle (though it isn't nearly as good of a game) and HR's main gameplay mechanics are featured prominently (if not heavily) in all of the 'mue titles.

Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row are more like Yakuza, which are NOT like Shenmue, for the 50 millionth time.
If you like the martial arts and fighting aspect of SM then sleeping dogs and saints row are good for that.

... but mechanics-wise, they aren't similar at all; that's what I'm getting at.

"Games You Like if You Like Shenmue," may be a better title, but they aren't similar.

Thanks for the recs
I just bought Omikron for $1.49 on steam.

Which is the best platform for it; I've only played it on DC and while fun and great, the PC version got SIGNIFICANTLY better reviews.

Not very Shenmue like, but what I liked:
-Brothers (on PS4)
-Atlantis I+2 (from Cryo)
-Myst series
-Syberia series
-Obduction
-Kings Quest 7

Nothing is really simular to Shenmue, that's what the problem is.

You just never knew where to look. There are plenty, past and present, like the best from Lucasarts to the mentioned Quantic Dreams offerings and Telltale ones. Notable works which I vouch for are Phantasmagoria, Deadly Premonition and Until Dawn. But the closest to Shenmue in all its fundamentals, which I personally played and mentioned it on the old forum, is a game called The Last Express, and it came out way before Shenmue did. One other one I have yet to play is a brand new game called Outer Wilds, and I suspect there's a really strong Shenmue imprint in it. Then there is Kingdom Come Deliverance, which is actually an action RPG as its core but takes the main Shenmue philosophy to heart as admitted by one of the key staff. Highly recommended. Any of those are more Shenmue than either Yakuza or Sleeping Dogs.

-- Yakuza -- THERE I said it :D In all seriousness, they're not one for one in likeness but they do share some stuff in common that it is hard not to see. Yakuza 3's earlier sections do have a bit of a Shenmue feel to them (time in Okinawa at the orphanage always gave me a bit of a low key Shenmue vibe)...again, they're not 1 for 1, but you can see some surface similarities between the two none the less. I know, I know, the Yakuza-Shenmue comparisons are tiring as all hell, but you'd be kidding yourself if you didn't see at least some surface similarities there.

-- Persona 4 -- I think for me it's the day to day schedule that kind of gave me some Shenmue vibes. Again, it's nothing like Shenmue, but Inaba has a bit of a low key vibe that I find as charming as I found Yokosuka to be. The day to day schedule was one of the things that sucked me right into P4. The social links system is another...I think I just like games where I can simply hang out and talk to other characters. Like I said, there are small things about it that give me some Shenmue vibes...but again, so drastically different in gameplay. But the characters, setting and world building all gave me Shenmue vibes to some degree. In the sense that it's very homely and low key much like Yokosuka was to me.

-- Jade Empire -- I wouldn't say its anything like Shenmue in presentation or gameplay terms, but it's uniqueness of location and focus on kung fu always gave me a bit of a Shenmue vibe. It is a very different game at its core (VERY different), but again, there were moments playing it that did give me weird Shenmue vibes and I think it boils down to location and atmosphere.

I mean this is the hard thing...there really is nothing like Shenmue....sure, I could rattle off games that have aspects of Shenmue about them or games that reminded me of why I love Shenmue, but on the whole? I have yet to find anything like it that has truly scratched the itch...it really is one of a kind. Even the games I just mentioned above are NOTHING like Shenmue outside of giving me certain vibes and reminders.

Nothing is similar to Shenmue but I do like some games because of Shenmue.
Before Shenmue, I've never played arcade games like Space Harrier or Outrun. Because of Shenmue, I was able to discover those games and became a fan of them. Especially (since you bought merchandise) the Outrun series.

I already made a thread talking about a game which game me similar Shenmue VIbes with Shadow of Memories / Shadow of Destiny:

I think a lot of it comes down to the location, the location really grows on you especially as you go back in time and see the same location layout but with all the differences the age presents. Also, the game has a structure where you have to talk to a lot of the townsfolk to trade items in where you get cutscenes and conversations - much like a point n' click adventure but without the point and click mechanics, so you navigate the areas with the D-Pad.

The game itself is just fascinating, the concept being you have to travel back in time to prevent your death and in these chapters you can pass it via different routes which effect what happens later - it was my first experience with a truly interactive narrative and I highly recommend it!

Back