Gaming Facts - Did you know?

After enjoying some of the 'Did you know?' posts in the Shenmue section, I thought it would be nice to expand on that and see what other interesting points there are in other general gaming areas such as...

Did you know the seemingly random blocks and towers on the PS2 start up screen actually represent game progress— so the more you play and save your games, the more blocks and towers appear!

The "real" Super Mario Bros. 2 was deemed to be too difficult for the Western audience and didn't seem to have changed in play from the first game aside from being harder. So instead, Nintendo took an existing game called Doki Doki Panic and reskinned it with Mario characters. That's the reason number 2 feels totally different - because it wasn't intended to be a Mario game at all! The Japanese version was later added to Mario All stars in the form of 'The lost levels'.

Game companies have employed some interesting anti-piracy measures to their games in the past. Examples include:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - Manhattan Project. If the game thought it was pirated you would deal half damage, take double damage and if you were still lucky enough to make it to Shredder... he would be invincible!

Game Dev Tycoon - If the game recognised itself as pirated, your in game sales would plummet due to.... piracy! Game Over.

Earthbound - If the game thinks its a pirate copy various things can happen such as increased enemy spawns and you will always lose the final boss battle, when you lose, the game restarts and deletes your save file!

Metal Gear Solid - A simple idea from Konami this time was to make a portion of the game (where you contact Meryl) only possible if you had the game case to hand, as the codec frequency to contact her was on the back cover.

I'm sure you lot have some interesting facts, so fire away!

Did you know that the vocal track for Shadow Tiger's Lair in Killer Instinct (2013) was done by a KI community member after responding to a tweet from Mick Gordon (the music composer)?

Final product:

Vocal recording:

PS. Killer Instinct is the most fun fighting game in existence.

The famous 3D Mario head in Super Mario 64 was programmed in by Nintendo programmer Giles Goddard as a test for the new analog controller and was kept.

Did you know that the vocal track for Shadow Tiger's Lair in Killer Instinct (2013) was done by a KI community member after responding to a tweet from Mick Gordon (the music composer)?

Final product:

Vocal recording:

PS. Killer Instinct is the most fun fighting game in existence.
I did not know that. I only ever played the Snes incarnation of it. COMBOOOO!

Mortal Kombat was created by a team of 4 developers and didn't have a title for the first 6 months.

Goldeneye for N64 was developed by a team of 9 people, 8 of whom had never worked on a video game before. They implemented the multiplayer mode at the end of development without the knowledge of Rare or Nintendo.

Did you know that Earthbound used music based on "Johnny B Goode" by Chuck Berry? That same tune was later reused in Animal Crossing.

In the Japanese version of Rayman 2, Rayman is re-coloured from purple to blue.

Did you know that the original Mortal Kombat pales in comparison to Eternal Champions, a fighting game exclusive to a Sega home console (Genesis), in terms of violence (and humour)?

Did you know Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars for SNES was made by Squaresoft before they turned into Square Enix?

And did you know that after SMRPG, Nintendo started making Paper Mario and they are all still SHIT compared to what Squaresoft did over 20 years ago?

Thats right! SMRPG is still better than any of the Paper Mario's that have come out. Facts.

I still have a copy of eternal champions with my Megadrive, preferred Shaq Fu though.
Did you know that the original Mortal Kombat pales in comparison to Eternal Champions, a fighting game exclusive to a Sega home console (Genesis), in terms of violence (and humour)?

Did you know the red mushrooms in Super Mario are based on an actual fungi called Amanita Muscaria? They are reported to make the user feel like they are growing in size.

Or that the school in Silent Hill is a replication of the school in Arnold Schwarzeneggers Kindergaten cop, everything from exteriors, interiors and the school buses number.

Or that Former Sega President Isao Okawa donated $696 dollars from his own company to save Sega from bankruptcy in 2001.

Did you know Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars for SNES was made by Squaresoft before they turned into Square Enix?

And did you know that after SMRPG, Nintendo started making Paper Mario and they are all still SHIT compared to what Squaresoft did over 20 years ago?

Thats right! SMRPG is still better than any of the Paper Mario's that have come out. Facts.
Too bad seven stars is shit then.

Too bad seven stars is shit then.
poetry-paper.jpg

My friends are all hesitant to play Shenmue but have no problem playing deadly premonition 600 times.

I know people that love Star Wars then turn around and say that The Dark Knight trilogy is stupid and poorly written, so that doesn't surprise me.

I did not know that. I only ever played the Snes incarnation of it. COMBOOOO!

Mortal Kombat was created by a team of 4 developers and didn't have a title for the first 6 months.

Goldeneye for N64 was developed by a team of 9 people, 8 of whom had never worked on a video game before. They implemented the multiplayer mode at the end of development without the knowledge of Rare or Nintendo.

Its the only Ninty title that I absolutely adore and have sunk a ton of time into (and can beat the crap out of everyone I've ever played, in Multiplayer lol), but I didn't even know this until recently.

Believe this fact only came to light in the last little while too.

Normally I don't like when these types of guys do videos like this, but that was AWESOME.

Last edited:
Back