General Impressions

Was never a US flag, was ALWAYS red and white stripes:

Image result for ryo hazuki shenmue 1

Why would a guy who's never been or has no link to the US, have a US flag? lol

Wouldn't say that; Pail Toss was satisfying and the Golf Game was challenging and made for varied gameplay (not simply tossing it in a hole, though you could do that as well); my first hole was when I threw it, landed short, but then rolled in sync with the hole and went in once it went over the edge, it was cool :)
I don't think they're fun. Something about the aiming or physics seems off. I can't get a handle of either game.

Was never a US flag, was ALWAYS red and white stripes:

Why would a guy who's never been or has no link to the US, have a US flag? lol
Holy shit, I was convinced it was the flag! Haha, alright then!

To be fair, there are lots of people that wear stuff that they have no connection to. It's pretty easy to guess who is a tourist when wearing stuff like "I ❤ NY" lol

Pretty much, it was the 1980's I figured it just a US military inspired design, like Top Gun style.

Just finished my second playthrough. Nearing the Platinum trophy but fishing and Niawou herbs ARGH! Anyway nothing a back-up save can't fix.

Just some thoughts.

Bailu is bloody brilliant in my book. It's a true Shenmue area, lots to see and do and story moves on nicely. I'd have liked to have found out more about Iwao's time there of course but overall the area has a Shenmue 1 Dobuita vibe to it. The ending sequence there is, arguably, one of the best cut-scenes in the game for me. It captures the Shenmue vibes perfectly.

Niawou: I get the complaints about it, I share some of them re character development and the rushed ending. It's probably my least favourite Shenmue area. That said I did like the castle. It's too short for sure but what's there captures the epic fight to the top perfectly. The scene as the camera pans over the castle before you break in to confront Lan Di is spectacular. Really wish there was more scenes like this in the game but I feel when they've gone for it the cut-scenes are excellent.

Also when you hear the Shenmue theme play as you leave..... well that music always hits me right in the feels.

It's obvious they had to cut things back that's for sure. Maybe I have rose tinted glasses a little but the game is undoubtedly Shenmue. It's not perfect, it's got issues and flaws but maybe that's why I also like it. The game is an underdog, it should never exist and maybe that's why it means so much to me on a personal level.

We start moving towards making sure Shenmue IV is realised very very soon (keep an eye out) and this is the ideal time for us to push that message home. The DLC will keep us in the public eye as things go forward but this is the time to dust ourselves down and be ready to go again. The story must go on!

Just finished my second playthrough. Nearing the Platinum trophy but fishing and Niawou herbs ARGH! Anyway nothing a back-up save can't fix.

Just some thoughts.

Bailu is bloody brilliant in my book. It's a true Shenmue area, lots to see and do and story moves on nicely. I'd have liked to have found out more about Iwao's time there of course but overall the area has a Shenmue 1 Dobuita vibe to it. The ending sequence there is, arguably, one of the best cut-scenes in the game for me. It captures the Shenmue vibes perfectly.

Niawou: I get the complaints about it, I share some of them re character development and the rushed ending. It's probably my least favourite Shenmue area. That said I did like the castle. It's too short for sure but what's there captures the epic fight to the top perfectly. The scene as the camera pans over the castle before you break in to confront Lan Di is spectacular. Really wish there was more scenes like this in the game but I feel when they've gone for it the cut-scenes are excellent.

I tend to agree with this. I found Bailu was pretty good (but the arbitrary 'roped off' areas felt artificial and unlike previous games), but Niaowu just felt bizarre. It felt like a theme park more than a real place, nothing like previous Shenmue locations which felt very authentic. I was really disappointed with Niaowu.

I tend to agree with this. I found Bailu was pretty good (but the arbitrary 'roped off' areas felt artificial and unlike previous games), but Niaowu just felt bizarre. It felt like a theme park more than a real place, nothing like previous Shenmue locations which felt very authentic. I was really disappointed with Niaowu.
Yeah I was little confused by the ropped off areas, it didn't feel needed imo. A small niggle.

PC here:
As for me, no more NPC's in Niaowu than the PS4 version.
I think there's a mod here which adds some, for pc ver...
https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...-mods-classic-camera-npc-fixes-and-more.2518/ from lemonhaze

Also I would like to add my 2 cents on this thread, about my general-impressions of this game. (pc, 1.2 ver. Vanilla)

WE have the chance to play games. some have not this chance.

this game exists thanks to support it.

knowing the facts that YU and co. disapointed because of lack of time and money to make a better one they would like to offer to us.

knowing I have the chance to complain about some things which in fact are only pixels and numbers...,
But I play it for the spirit behind.
What about all the work and love they put in it?

Maybe it takes too much time/money to put ideas below? As i don't know about making games, I don't know that YET

so
it would have been good for me if, for example=

-deeper story. instead of sub-quests. this chapter is too short really. (lol)

-more accurate translatings

-Clean Ryo= washing, put pajamas when he go to sleep before and after, at least.

-UMBRELLAS!!! when it rains would make sense.

-before dlc 1.4 pass dialogs with X only possible when you stop the quest.

-the feeling that people are flying when fights occurs (lol)

-would love to see accurate strikes on ennemies/partner (lol)

-where are cats to give food? (lol)

-have the GRAB button!!! wtf? Sega has stole YU for not accepted a good part of the game= VF fights/arcade games... (lol)

-A stamina bar when ryo is running ...

-compose diethetical menus with various ingredients would refill more life /stamina bar (we have herbalists, which is a nice idea...so why not?)

-more accurate tips for extra quests.

-have Shenua change her clothes too. (some dresses are buyable..)

-more dialog with her and animals.

there's more, but you get the idea.

All in all, i would put 7/10
YU himself says 5 to 6.5 in a magazine (lol)

Last edited:
PC here:
As for me, no more NPC's in Niaowu than the PS4 version.
I think there's a mod here which adds some, for pc ver...
https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...-mods-classic-camera-npc-fixes-and-more.2518/ from lemonhaze

Also I would like to add my 2 cents on this thread, about my general-impressions of this game. (pc, 1.2 ver. Vanilla)

WE have the chance to play games. some have not this chance.

this game exists thanks to support it.

knowing the facts that YU and co. disapointed because of lack of time and money to make a better one they would like to offer to us.

knowing I have the chance to complain about some things which in fact are only pixels and numbers...,
But I play it for the spirit behind.
What about all the work and love they put in it?

Maybe it takes too much time/money to put ideas below? As i don't know about making games, I don't know that YET

so
it would have been good for me if, for example=

-deeper story. instead of sub-quests. this chapter is too short really. (lol)

-more accurate translatings

-Clean Ryo= washing, put pajamas when he go to sleep before and after, at least.

-UMBRELLAS!!! when it rains would make sense.

-before dlc 1.4 pass dialogs with X only possible when you stop the quest.

-the feeling that people are flying when fights occurs (lol)

-would love to see accurate strikes on ennemies/partner (lol)

-where are cats to give food? (lol)

-have the GRAB button!!! wtf? Sega has stole YU for not accepted a good part of the game= VF fights/arcade games... (lol)

-A stamina bar when ryo is running ...

-compose diethetical menus with various ingredients would refill more life /stamina bar (we have herbalists, which is a nice idea...so why not?)

-more accurate tips for extra quests.

-have Shenua change her clothes too. (some dresses are buyable..)

-more dialog with her and animals.

there's more, but you get the idea.

All in all, i would put 7/10
YU himself says 5 to 6.5 in a magazine (lol)
Agree with most of your points. That said we have known for some time that because of budget limitations that there would be no grab/throw moves. Hopefully we get it in 4.

I just finished the game for the first time 5 minutes ago, and I'm really glad to be able to enter the spoiler and Shenmue IV forums finally. I guess this is the right place to put my fresh impressions and feelings, and that maybe could be interesting to you.

Overall I've enjoyed the game for what it is. And a little extra for the fact it allows us to move on from the 18-year stall of the fantastic Shenmue II ending.

Knowing its budget and the circumstances it has been made, it has some unexpectedly high qualities in some parts (graphics and scenarios in particular), and some expected shortcomings (fewer NPCs, less fleshed out cutscenes, etc.). But what I didn't expect is HOW TERRIBLE THE WRITING IS throughout all of the game. From the first cutscene in the cave to the end.

And I don't think it's a matter of it having too little story advancement or a matter of retconning some things. If we "zoom out", the story arcs are perfectly fine: knowing Bailu and Shenhua deeply, and then moving on to another location to rescue Shenhua's father, encounter Lan Di and expand the knowledge of the Chi You Men. The problem is that the plot and the dialogue are super-shallow and non-subtle. It kind of feels like a draft.

And the other big problem of the writing is that the entire game is driven constantly by something as uninteresting as THUGS THUGS AND MORE THUGS. Shenmue I&II were in its 80% driven by the search of Zhu Yuanda (and some of its friends and foes during the way like Master Chen, Tao Lishao or Dou Niu), and that bait was much more interesting because he is an important character and through that thread you learn valuable things about the story and can get easily invested in the world.

The potential to do the same in III was enormous with Iwao, Zhao, Shenhua's father or even Niao Sun, and I find it baffling they misfired that so badly. So if Shenmue IV gets made (I think it will be and I'll be there), priority number one must be hiring a competent writer. All the rest is secondary to me.

I wrote this post on my Shenmusings blog inspired by the discussion of Yuan's letter/the ending that ended up in this thread:

I wrote this post on my Shenmusings blog inspired by the discussion of Yuan's letter/the ending that ended up in this thread:

Awesome post and good analysis. Can’t wait to read your thoughts on Niao Sun and review.

Really great analysis and it definitely explains some of the incongruity between S2 and S3. I wonder, however, if Suzuki knew enough to end S2 with a bang because it might be the last one then why didn't that continue to S3; surely he must have known that S4 was no guarantee? It seems very weird to downplay the very things that he admits gave the ending to S2 its "bang" and, judging from the Project Berkley trailer, some kind of supernatural element was always in the cards for Shenmue. Suzuki has also stated that he wants to finish the series in 4-5 games, so if it indeed wraps up in S4, it might feel rushed to have to reintroduce supernatural elements.

Just as an addition to what Yuan's note says, the blind woman says "Shenhua, the time has come. Go with the one who holds the phoenix." She omits the "find the proof" line (possibly indicating that the map was the "proof"), but this definitely confirms that the poem refers specifically to Shenhua and Ryo and that several people knew they would meet. In S2 Shenhua says that the poem has been told in Bailu Village from long ago... really annoying that it's never discussed.

Really great analysis and it definitely explains some of the incongruity between S2 and S3. I wonder, however, if Suzuki knew enough to end S2 with a bang because it might be the last one then why didn't that continue to S3; surely he must have known that S4 was no guarantee? It seems very weird to downplay the very things that he admits gave the ending to S2 its "bang" and, judging from the Project Berkley trailer, some kind of supernatural element was always in the cards for Shenmue. Suzuki has also stated that he wants to finish the series in 4-5 games, so if it indeed wraps up in S4, it might feel rushed to have to reintroduce supernatural elements.

Just as an addition to what Yuan's note says, the blind woman says "Shenhua, the time has come. Go with the one who holds the phoenix." She omits the "find the proof" line (possibly indicating that the map was the "proof"), but this definitely confirms that the poem refers specifically to Shenhua and Ryo and that several people knew they would meet. In S2 Shenhua says that the poem has been told in Bailu Village from long ago... really annoying that it's never discussed.

There's indeed a big clash between Shenmue I-II and III on that matter, it's that III make sure to kill many supernatural elements and mysticism.

In Shenmue I-II, the mirors always held a big secret, a mystical secret. Talks about an ancient treasure. Talks about the Chi You. Bailu village also felt like a mystic village, in a mystic forest. I wont even talk about floating swords and such.

In Shenmue 3 though ? All of that is retconned. Yes, Retconned. I say it 100% sure. It's a complete rewriting. Bailu became a regular village. The floating sword a regular dagger. The mirors are a map for a not so old treasure.

You want to know how far the rewriting has been going on ?
Take the Shenmue II game over:
Lan Di kills Ryo and then comes to Shenhua and say "I shall take your power, for the Chiyoumen".
In III the same thing happens except Lan Di says... Nothing.

Everything mystical about Shenhua or Bailu is retconned.

And please, spare me that badly written scene which is obviously a joke where Shenhua use "her powers" against the thug when it's obviously a play on the trope of the "cute anime girl scarring the thugs".
Same for the "she can talk with animals" where Ryo has a surprised/nearly mocking reaction. Nothing is shown in a serious and mystical manner to take that seriously. In Shenmue II, when Shenhua was hinting at such things, it was said in a serious tone, with a lot of mysticism. In Shenmue III, it is said in a naive, nearly comical tone.

There's indeed a big clash between Shenmue I-II and III on that matter, it's that III make sure to kill many supernatural elements and mysticism.

In Shenmue I-II, the mirors always held a big secret, a mystical secret. Talks about an ancient treasure. Talks about the Chi You. Bailu village also felt like a mystic village, in a mystic forest. I wont even talk about floating swords and such.

In Shenmue 3 though ? All of that is retconned. Yes, Retconned. I say it 100% sure. It's a complete rewriting. Bailu became a regular village. The floating sword a regular dagger. The mirors are a map for a not so old treasure.

Lan Di kills Ryo and then comes to Shenhua and say "I shall take your power, for the Chiyoumen".

And please, spare me that badly written scene which is obviously a joke where Shenhua use "her powers" against the thug when it's obviously a play on the trope of the "cute anime girl scarring the thugs".
Same for the "she can talk with animals" where Ryo has a surprised/nearly mocking reaction. Nothing is shown in a serious and mystical manner to take that seriously. In Shenmue II, when Shenhua was hinting at such things, it was said in a serious tone, with a lot of mysticism. In Shenmue III, it is said in a naive, nearly comical tone.
I’m tired of this argument, but that scene with the thug really could not have been more clearly hinting at Shenhua having some kind of power. You’re also just making assumptions and presenting them as fact, you have no way of knowing that any of this stuff has been retconned.

I’m tired of this argument, but that scene with the thug really could not have been more clearly hinting at Shenhua having some kind of power. You’re also just making assumptions and presenting them as fact, you have no way of knowing that any of this stuff has been retconned.
It looks like everything that does not fit ones headcanon it id now a retcon. If you don't like an answer, it is a retcon. Retcons everywhere.

I didn’t really take issue with the interrogation scene, it could go either way for me but it’s clearly played for laughs. In S2 we literally see Shenhua use telekinesis so even if this was some kind of demonstration of whatever her powers are, it’s downplayed.

I’m not sure if you can call it a retcon but there are things that were set up about Bailu Village in S1 and 2 that are simply not addressed in S3 and, since Ryo is likely not going to return to the village, it’s likely that they’ve been dropped. Nearly everyone who even looks at the mirrors says they’re made of phantom river stone that only comes from Guilin and in S2 we learn that Yuan heard “voices from the stone” but in S3 it never comes up and we have no idea what makes Phantom River stone so important. The poem that opens each game has been recited in Bailu Village for a long time and accurately predicts Shenhua and Ryo’s meeting (which is apparently her entire character motivation now) and we learn nothing about it or what Shenhua is meant to do. The magical properties of the mirrors (the light pattern, the laser, etc.) are never explored despite the fact that Ryo met the ancestor of the man who built them (and has their blueprints in his house). To say nothing of the fact that in S2, Shenhua states that stone mirrors were made for “ancient” emperors and that wars were fought over them and in S3, we find out they’re just over 60 years old.

Again, those aren’t retcons and there’s obviously the potential to learn more about those things, but many are tied specifically to Bailu Village so it will be weird to have them come up again outside that context. It also would have been nice to get a scene emphasizing the fact that there are several Shenmue trees.

Last edited:

It looks like everything that does not fit ones headcanon it id now a retcon. If you don't like an answer, it is a retcon. Retcons everywhere.

Are we pretending the sword isn't a retcon now ?
Sorry, the dagger. :"")

"Actually in the original design the Sword of Seven Stars was a dagger, but for some reason I made it a long sword"

In the original design though :p
In the end, it was made into a sword and that's what matters. Yet it became a dagger... Without any powers.

No I’m not pretending it isn’t a retcon, because we saw in front of our eyes that it was retconned. Everything you’re talking about, however, is baseless assumption.

It's not baseless, I explained how and why.
Let's be honest here, Shenmue III is doing its best to minimise any magical/mystical elements from the serie.

The only one that is open to debate is that Shenhua and thug scene... And even that is up to debate.

Back