General Impressions

This is absolutely true. Adam Koralik made a video on Big Merry cruise saying you could predict where the wheel would stop based on the power meter point you pick. He was absolutely wrong. Its completely random.

I just watch his DLC review and for a so called super fan it’s surprising he wasn’t aware there was a second side quest in Big Merry Cruise that he seems oblivious too.

I just watch his DLC review and for a so called super fan it’s surprising he wasn’t aware there was a second side quest in Big Merry Cruise that he seems oblivious too.
Yeah, I pointed that out to him. To be fair, I only stumbled upon the second mission by accident. I wanted to save inside the ship because it gives you a unique save icon. Then pow! Second mission loaded. Total dumb luck. Anybody on social media could have easily found it and told me about it otherwise.

Did anyones general impressions shift during or after their first playthrough, I imagine we were just overlooking things/rose tinted glasses cause we were actually playing Shenmue III the first time

I just finished my second playthrough, this time re-playing I&II and then III.

As it is said in the IGN's interview to Yu Suzuki, Shenmue III is a new beginning. The bar, especially for those of us who raised the first two installments to the altars for almost 20 years, was set very high. Nothing to do with that year 1999 in which Suzuki gave birth to something practically revolutionary for the time, both conceptually and technically. Back then, he had absolute freedom to create, nobody expected anything concrete because there were no references. With Shenmue III, however, he had much more to lose than he could gain. Probably, only those who soaked up the first two entries would digest that very same concept two decades later and, at the same time, it was evident that there was insufficient budget to achieve something new that could be at the same level of greatness achieved on that time.

There is no doubt that Yu Suzuki was between a rock and a hard place because a good part of the public (either faithful followers of the saga or new players) was going to feel unsatisfied. But to revive the saga, one had to choose and Yu-san chose the way of trying to reward us, the old guard of followers of Shenmue. It was a logical decision: those who were willing to leave a greater profit margin and, at the same time, forgive all (or almost all) the defects of the game, would clearly be us. A game for the fans, in his own words.

The final result, a game that entertains us and that, at the very least, reminds us of the games we love. Very improvable in some aspects (story's progression, facial animations, battle system...) but also worthy of its predecessors in others (you can really feel the “Shenmue universe” when you play it). A game, perhaps, somewhat below what we expected when we pressed “New Game” on the main menu for the first time but infinitely superior to what we could dream of a few years ago. I think Suzuki just got off the hook, without fanfare (which is not a minor thing, given the circumstances).

After reading the latest interview, it seems that the patient lives but probably it hangs by a hair. Of course, the trees should not prevent us from seeing the forest: the patient was dead and now his heart beats. Nothing more and nothing less than the miracle of the resurrection has been performed. We should never forget that either.

I'm totally the opposite. The more time has passed and the more I think about the game, the more the flaws and issues don't bother me. I went from liking to loving the game, warts and all.

I went in with low expectations, came out yesterday after beating it, wounded up loving it. After all these years, I still have to see this through with my boy, Ryo. He will have his revenge.
<>
General impressions were as follows:

beautiful, compacted, well-detailed areas.

Some returning characters from the previous titles DON'T sound the same, AT ALL. Which I really did not like, the most. Lan-Di sounds like his octave vocals went up.

Filler/Fluff progression was enjoyable to a degree, but I should have been having more fun doing them.

"Why can't I run circles around the enemy during the majority of combat sequences."

"Who's idea was it to turn Shenmue 3 into a comical cartoon at some points, especially after the QTE fails. Shift in tone

"Who's idea was it to have the lost boat kid give that final stare down to Ryo after finding him? Give that man a raise"

"Music/Melodies did not sound as good as the first titles, did.

"I'm getting some serious Shenmue 1&2 vibes."

"Ren is slowly becoming Ryo's best friend."

Great game, just needed more time. Hopefully my guy, Yu, can pull through for us and finish this through.

Last edited:
Ok, even though I am somewhere between 80-90% through with the story, I might as well give my two cents on what is good about the game, and what needs improvement:

Positive:
- Detailed environments
- Fun side activities
- Easy way to earn money
- The impact of Ryo's and Shenhua's relationship
- Unique NPCs
- DLC
- Successful crowdfunding campaign
- Strong cult following

Negative:
- Little to no story progression
- Backtracking
- Short Length
- English voice acting and occasional typos (could be because I'm playing the Day One edition)
- Bits of unused potential

Ok, but needs tweaking and work:
- Combat: having to learn moves is awesome, but memorizing them is a pain, overall it needs to be balanced and on par with *ahem* Yakuza
- Stamina and food system: it needs to be reworked, food could be an important part of future titles, but adding some RPG-esque buffs based on Ryo's diet could kick it up a few notches, and there could be a wider and more detailed food selection (instead of just eating on-the-go, have Ryo order food from some restaurants and eat inside)
- Item props and models: some of them were bought off the UE4 asset store, take your time and try creating some of your unique models
- Development time: Do not rush! Take your time, we can wait. Fortunately, developing Shenmue 4 will be easier and faster due to external partnerships and funding

And that's a wrap everyone! I just need a little more to reach the fortified castle and face Lan Di there. Oh, and if you ask me, Shenmue 4 WILL happen, Shansun95 out.

Ok, even though I am somewhere between 80-90% through with the story, I might as well give my two cents on what is good about the game, and what needs improvement:

Positive:
- Detailed environments
- Fun side activities
- Easy way to earn money
- The impact of Ryo's and Shenhua's relationship
- Unique NPCs
- DLC
- Successful crowdfunding campaign
- Strong cult following

Negative:
- Little to no story progression
- Backtracking
- Short Length
- English voice acting and occasional typos (could be because I'm playing the Day One edition)
- Bits of unused potential

Ok, but needs tweaking and work:
- Combat: having to learn moves is awesome, but memorizing them is a pain, overall it needs to be balanced and on par with *ahem* Yakuza
- Stamina and food system: it needs to be reworked, food could be an important part of future titles, but adding some RPG-esque buffs based on Ryo's diet could kick it up a few notches, and there could be a wider and more detailed food selection (instead of just eating on-the-go, have Ryo order food from some restaurants and eat inside)
- Item props and models: some of them were bought off the UE4 asset store, take your time and try creating some of your unique models
- Development time: Do not rush! Take your time, we can wait. Fortunately, developing Shenmue 4 will be easier and faster due to external partnerships and funding

And that's a wrap everyone! I just need a little more to reach the fortified castle and face Lan Di there. Oh, and if you ask me, Shenmue 4 WILL happen, Shansun95 out.
Edit: I forgot to give it an overall rating, for me it was swaying somewhere between 7 and 8, but decided to give it an 8/10 nonetheless. Peace out my fellow Shenmue fans ;)

Combat: having to learn moves is awesome, but memorizing them is a pain

In case of you replay the game someday, Cross: low/close kick, Square: high/long kick, Triangle : high punch, Circle: middle punch.

Most of the moves has an execution logic to facilitate the memorizing, imo better than Sleeping Dogs (another great game in Hong Kong).

I think having watched a couple of newbies play on Twitch and actually kind of like the game, I've come to appreciate it a little more.

I did like the game when I first played it, but like the rest of you, I was a little bummed we didn't get as much story progression as we thought we would. But having watched someone recently play all three games back to back, what I came to realize is that Shenmue III is rather cohesive to those first two games. When you watch all three played back to back, you kind of realize just how much the formula remains in SIII and just how cohesive it actually is to the first two games in structure.

Yes, it has its issues that I will never deny. That being character development and general story issues...but the structure feels remarkably close to those original games none the less. Having watched all three played back to back, I was genuinely surprised just how close it did get to the original two games and it gave me a new found respect for it.

The story issues will always be there (although I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be, just lacking from what I initially expected and I think that is the problem -- we all expected something greater than what we actually got and judged on our expectations rather than what was actually presented.)

I still think III has enough of the world and lore building that I love. While I would have loved more about Iwao's past in Bailu, he presence is still throughout that game in other ways.

I don't know...I feel like III is as close to the Shenmue formula as it possibly could be without feeling like something else entirely and I still think it's pretty damn awesome that the game actually exists in 2020.

I think having watched a couple of newbies play on Twitch and actually kind of like the game, I've come to appreciate it a little more.

I did like the game when I first played it, but like the rest of you, I was a little bummed we didn't get as much story progression as we thought we would. But having watched someone recently play all three games back to back, what I came to realize is that Shenmue III is rather cohesive to those first two games. When you watch all three played back to back, you kind of realize just how much the formula remains in SIII and just how cohesive it actually is to the first two games in structure.

Yes, it has its issues that I will never deny. That being character development and general story issues...but the structure feels remarkably close to those original games none the less. Having watched all three played back to back, I was genuinely surprised just how close it did get to the original two games and it gave me a new found respect for it.

The story issues will always be there (although I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be, just lacking from what I initially expected and I think that is the problem -- we all expected something greater than what we actually got and judged on our expectations rather than what was actually presented.)

I still think III has enough of the world and lore building that I love. While I would have loved more about Iwao's past in Bailu, he presence is still throughout that game in other ways.

I don't know...I feel like III is as close to the Shenmue formula as it possibly could be without feeling like something else entirely and I still think it's pretty damn awesome that the game actually exists in 2020.
Come to think of it, I happen to be fairly new to the Shenmue series as well, mainly because I'm only 24. But the fact that the whole series act as a predecessor to modern open-world games is what attracts me the most to the Shenmue franchise. If it wasn't for Shenmue, we wouldn't have AAA open-world titles such as HD era GTA, Yakuza, Saint's Row, etc. Yes, the story was a flop, and some English voice acting was below par, but at least we finally got the continuation of the once-forgotten franchise that is Shenmue. I am 100% certain that even after Ryo's story arc finishes, the series will continue, as long as we voice our satisfaction and desire for it. Here's looking at Suzuki-san.

Come to think of it, I happen to be fairly new to the Shenmue series as well, mainly because I'm only 24. But the fact that the whole series act as a predecessor to modern open-world games is what attracts me the most to the Shenmue franchise. If it wasn't for Shenmue, we wouldn't have AAA open-world titles such as HD era GTA, Yakuza, Saint's Row, etc. Yes, the story was a flop, and some English voice acting was below par, but at least we finally got the continuation of the once-forgotten franchise that is Shenmue. I am 100% certain that even after Ryo's story arc finishes, the series will continue, as long as we voice our satisfaction and desire for it. Here's looking at Suzuki-san.
How did you discover the series (I may have missed your post saying this) if you don't mind my asking.

I've watched the full playthrough of this couple on youtube and I really enjoyed it, specially because they loved the game for what it is. He was already a fan and had already played the first two in the past, but for her Shenmue 3 was the first and she absolutly fell in love with the game specially because of Ryo and Shenhua's relationship.
I suggest you guys to check it out:

How did you discover the series (I may have missed your post saying this) if you don't mind my asking.
Heya, I discovered Shenmue by sheer coincidence. While browsing through the history of JRPGs, Shenmue popped up as the foundation that paved the road to modern day open-world franchises, and when I started watching some walkthroughs about it, I fell in love at the whole concept on how your character develops bonds between NPCs and interacts with the environment. Kinda like The Sims, but with a storyline, where you avenge your father. Heck, the first game came out slightly before The Sims, and the whole concept about developing bonds was very well received. Even the Quick Time Events were coined by Suzuki, and there so happen to be numerous AAA games with them included.
Sadly I did not get the chance to play the first two games yet; the first one came out when I was only four years old, and if I could turn back time, I would contribute to the insanely successful kickstarter. Now that I can procure funds via work, I can finally afford to get myself the HD remastered versions of the first two games.
Thank you for asking.

The more i play Shenmue 3, the more i adore it. Especially the characters and gameplay.

Got a link to the newbie stream?

The more i play Shenmue 3, the more i adore it. Especially the characters and gameplay.

Got a link to the newbie stream?

He has all three games archived on his Twitch channel

So having finished off Shenmue 3 I wanted to give some thoughts about the game and also moving forward, not just game wise but from a community perspective. Before reading my thoughts on the game I wanted to leave this here so if you don't read the review please read this!

Community and moving forward
Now this is something I hold personal but wanted to share. Overall this community is the best around, I’ve been lucky enough to meet people that I’d consider friends for life. However this experience from Kickstarter to release (yes I know there’s been some quite rightly gripes, communication issues, marketing and the like) has shown me a side of the community I didn’t like. Just to be clear I’m not tarring everyone with the same brush as 90% are amazing it’s the vocal minority I’m talking to.

Since release I’ve seen comments such as Yu Suzuki doesn’t deserve to make another game, Shenmue 3 sucks, it’s not what I was promised, I wanted this, I wanted that. I’m sorry but when did we become so entitled? We shouldn’t even be playing this game, it was a dead pipe dream but we made this happen so to see a vocal minority jeopardise the future of the series on social media is beyond comprehension. The “outrage” culture has wormed its way in and this needs to stop if we want a Shenmue 4. I’m not saying people can’t be critical, I have been below but I’m saying that this game, Yu Suzuki’s vision, is bigger than any one community member who has a gripe about something trivial. One valid criticism I’ve seen is they’ve focussed too much on mini-games/padding out and not enough on the story. Fair enough, but then in the same breath this has then been met with oh but the story sucked anyway so why bother expanding it. This kind of comment/person is the kind that quite frankly needs a reality check. You can’t have things your own way all the time. This game was made in the vision of its creator and if we start dictating how that should look then this is all over. That said I’m more than aware that without the vast majority of us we would not be playing Shenmue 3 and I would not be writing this.

Some need to realise that all they’re doing is harming the future of the series by going off on these “outraged” rants, overreactions to everything and shoving that down everyone’s throats. You do not represent the whole of this community (nor do I either) but get off your high horse and stop acting like you do!

As for Shenmue 4 this is what I feel needs to happen short term:
  • We get out there in our masses on social medial and let the world know how good the game is, focus on the positive aspects.
  • Stop this negative shite on social media. All that is doing is putting off potential new players, of which many have picked up 1 and 2 & are showing an interest in Shenmue 3. This will kill the franchise.
  • Support Yu Suzuki and YSNET in getting a 4th game. Of course discuss and suggest ideas but be respectful of the creator of this wonderful franchise.
  • We need to unite, we don’t know what final sales will be and this battle for Shenmue as a whole is far from over. I promise you that as long as I’m around (and many others here share the sentiment) I will never give up on Shenmue 4 unless Yu throws in the towel, which we know he’s not. He wants to make a 4th game.

Now the review, the game was played on Hard and I've put things in spoiler boxes for ease.

Both settings were completely stunning. Bailu was everything I wanted and Niaowu reminded me of Hong Kong. The colours in Bailu are something that doesn’t often occur in games these days. Yes I found some pop-in of NPC’s, maybe not as many NPC’s in Niaowu as I’d like but overall these were great.

Overall fantastic though I noticed some off placement of tracks and also some sections with none at all. Anyone moaning about not enough new music needs to get a reality check. Recording multiple arrangements costs a fortune. I was in a band for years and to record 5 instruments to a decent standard was easily upwards of £1000 for a 4 track EP. So imagine needing literally hundreds of tracks and multiple instrument arrangements. The cost would spiral very quickly.

This seems to be an issue for some and I do get where people are coming from. I’d have liked to have found out more about Iwao, the mirrors etc. However the ending piece was intense (maybe slightly rushed) but it left so many open questions, Lan Di is being played, the politics in the Chi Yu Men, the mystery of Shenhua, the mirrors etc. Also it looks like they’re going to Baisha (just my thought) in the ending credits. Anyway my point being every story has a lull where it doesn’t move on much. The focus of this game was the beginning of Ryo’s improving ability, his study of Bajiquan, the need to train, the need to focus. Also what happens now the mirrors are in the hands of the Chi Yu Men? It’s also established systems that will allow for Shenmue 4 to match Shenmue 2 in story and content IMO.

Once I got used to the dynamics I really enjoyed the fighting. The multiman battles are very good. I do feel it lacks a little impact sometimes and some of the detection is a little off but this can be refined. I know throws were an issue (see latest IGN video with Yu Suzuki) but if they come back in and they tighten the system then this will be great. QTE’s were tough but overall enjoyable, maybe a little hard in parts

Loved all the jobs, I didn’t do much fishing this time around but will next play. Forklifting was good fun and wood chopping was addictive. I found myself having little routines to ensure I had money, was trained to a high enough level. Training games were fine, one-inch punch the favourite. I do get the criticism around the need for money in the game and it was a repeat of some gameplay loops from Shenmue 2, however I didn’t find this an issue as I always made sure I had funds and enjoyed the games. Arcade games were good fun too.

I touched on this earlier but apart from Ryo and Shenhua there wasn’t as much as maybe I’d have wanted. However I see the logic behind this, Ren comes into the game. We know him and his character so not much is needed yet. I sense more will come. The temple maiden and grandmasters etc seem to be one and done characters and while I’d like to have known more about their motivations I can see why this wasn’t expanded upon. We didn’t get a Xiuing type set-up because they’re not pivotal to the final plot, I know we got more of this in Shenmue 1 and 2 (Joy, Wong etc) but I sense they had to sacrifice this a little. She will come back and her character arc has been frozen but with the background of previous development in Shenmue 2.

Overall I was happy to wonder around and not use the fast travel options. However I do think these should be included throughout the whole game. They’re around in Bailu but not Niaowu which seemed off. Dialogue skip is something that I think we would all appreciate.
Also one personal issue was move scrolls. There needs to be a system that ticks off in shops when you already own a scroll to stop us buying duplicates. It didn’t ruin the experience but is a minor annoyance.

I’d give the game an 8/10 I enjoyed it and the ending has left me with more questions that I want answered in Shenmue 4 if it happens. Now Shenmue 4, well 3 IMO has served a purpose that you can create this sort of game for the limited budget ($12 million if IGN Japan are correct). The core systems are there, the story is set-up, the team have experience with Unreal now. Providing Shenmue 4 gets green-lit and they direct the story into answering these questions (I feel Yu should have some support with this maybe) then I reckon we will get a game on par or better then Shenmue 2. I’d class Shenmue 3 on a par with Shenmue 1 but not as good overall as Shenmue 2. Shenmue 4 could easily define the series if done well and I have confidence that it will be
I wouldn't normally quote myself but i felt it better than retyping a bunch of the same stuff from the back end of last year.

My thoughts after playing Shenmue III for the 3rd time, 1st on PC (no NG+) just as it would have been for my 1st time.

General Thoughts
Some will see my rant about entitlement etc above. Now I do stand by the vast majority of what I said above but some bits I feel need toning down/clarifying a bit. My criticisms lie in the people, who because they didn't get what they wanted (for whatever reason), are now actively seeking to tear down the entire franchise. It's these entitled, outrage culture idiots I'm referring to. The same goes for people saying 'because I don't like it no one else will'. What I have seen is a healthy respect for criticisms and constructive discussion over improvement across many formats. But I have also seen a select number across communities consistently post 'Shenmue III sucks'. If that's someone's opinion, whether they expand on it or not, that's cool. What isn't cool is seeing people comment the above on topics/discussions that aren't relevant to Shenmue III and when called out on it they get all upset or when you try to discuss constructively they get offensive. It's a small group of individuals and it irks me that this persists. We know your opinion, great, but why at every turn do you shout it from the roof tops on even unrelated items??

For Shenmue 4 we must be vocal on social media, tweetathons etc. If something is going on behind the scenes this kind of support may well tip the balance into a publisher/investor going for it.

Technical stuff

On PC I noticed less pop-in, better stability and a generally better experience. I should have played on PC first I think. I played on a PS4 Pro first two times and it was OK but PC was much better for me.

One odd thing I noticed is that if I was playing via my headphones and they disconnected it would crash the game.... no idea why

Story
Not much to add really. I get the learning the same move twice argument. But I can also see why they did it in the context of budget. Now that we know the scene with Sun wasn't originally planned I can see why they used some of the same captures for it. I'd like to know how late in the day this came in and the impact it had on the original plans. That said it is marginally a different move. One requires a dodge then the body check, the other a almost block then the check, which fits in with Akria in VF5. But I get the gripe here, could they have used something different? Quite probably.

QOL
The menu needs to be simplified for me and the fighting needs a proper tutorial. I was messing about with the system and digging out some nice combos which, with a little explanation, would have improved some people's experience. That and throws.

Budget
We now know this to be $20 million, more than I quoted back in my original post. Looking at the credits there was quite a number of people invovled, including 7-8 Mo-cap guys? That would be fairly expensive I would think. Take that, Kickstarter Fee's, two dubs, marketing etc and money is eaten quickly. However damn the translation/localisation was poor in parts, like seriously poor.

Any way that's it from me. I'll probably give all 3 games a rest for a while now and come back to playing them later in the year/next year. However the Shenmue theme always hits the feels for me and will do so until I'm an old man!

Have a good one!

Hi all,

First of all, a very overdue thank you to everyone in the community, in particular to shenmuedojo, for having decisively contributed to the existence of a sequel to S2.

I finished S3 yesterday after a sequential playthrough of S1 and S2. I really loved playing S1 and S2, it is incredible how good those gaming experiences are, but after finishing S3 i’m filled with disapointment.

I’m hating that game reviewers frame S3 as something that would please the hardcore fans based on the slow pace and minigames - apparently thats is what Shenmue has been to those who never understood it.

I list below the reasons why I don’t think this is a true Shenmue experience:

Immersion - first two games draw us into the world with a mix of a realistic depiction of environments, level of detail and ambience music. In S3 the environments just feel unrealistic (could Niaowu be compared to anything in China?), the music is poorly selected and quite annoying sometimes (in particular in Bailu). The use of a very bright color palette eliminated the noir look of the previous games that added to the sense of mistery.

No cohesion with previous 2 games - ryo is becoming dumber and doesnt seem to have learned anything since yokosuka, quest items that still have no use (wonder if they will ever), no acknowledgment of Chai’s identity, last scroll offered by Xiuying disappears, retcon of the cave scene (ok that was actually positive)

Very poor script - no climatic scenes, poor dialogue, basically no intrigue. Learn expensive move from unassuming ma to defeat unnamed random thug x2. Can you even believe that if not for the followers of the lore, the girl in red dress would not even be introduced in the game?!

No story development - this is totally unnaceptable and budget can’t be an excuse. What was our reward as fans and as backers who have waited 18 years to get to know a bit more of the plot? How is it possible that there is no dialogue with Lan Di, that there are no explanations from Yuan concerning the content of the letter?

I can’t forgive YS for having relied on backers to produce a game that is not focused on hardcore fans. I think YS lost the plot when he tried to create a game that would please to newer generations of gamers, and i think all that is left is disappointment from us, and indiference from the remaining gaming community.

This is very harsh but the truth is the same way we remained a strong community in defending and praising Shenmue games over 20 years, also gives us the right to openly state our disappointment. I registered here because you are the only guys that could understand this.

I think that YS capability of regaining trust of shenmue hardcore fans will be critical to release S4, something i think it is highly unlikely.

Cheers

Back